Project X IO Shafts

It totally is... If I didn't have the mental baggage of playing way too heavy/stiff of iron shafts growing up I would probably be in something like this. Why swing something heavy when something equally as stable is available with good feel at a lighter weight?
You can make the profile heavy with swing weighting, easily.

This is all about promoting better speed, better transitions, etc. 130g is old news.

Staaaaaaaaaaaaaable, right?

Did they launch low?

I would call them squarely mid launch. At least for me. Compared to the $ tapers I am currently playing the launch was a touch lower. But the $ tapers launch really high in my book.

The spin is what I found most interesting. Not low, but lower than the $ tapers and I felt I could go hard at that ball and the spin stayed the same. The $ tapers spike on my and I lose distance.

Okay that is super interesting to hear.

Do they feel brittle at all? Or do they retain the PX feel?

Explain brittle? To me, off memory I think they feel different from the classic PX. But I would have to hit them side by side to be sure. Which I did not do.

basically, it's like the performance of PX with the feedback of PXi for me.
Stable all the way through but not punishing like OG PX. Ball is launching lower for me and creating optimal spin with my gamer ball.

Not to bleed into other brands, but it's what I wanted C Taper to be haha

basically, it's like the performance of PX with the feedback of PXi for me.
Stable all the way through but not punishing like OG PX. Ball is launching lower for me and creating optimal spin with my gamer ball.

Not to bleed into other brands, but it's what I wanted C Taper to be haha

way better than C tapers. I can’t stand that shaft..at least for me..

Something interesting happen with a pairing, @Canadan ?? I have a couple I haven't had a chance to build to test. Should I get off my ***?
Uhhh, yes you should. Then tell us how it goes.

Okay brittle I guess means more like harsh. You guys nailed it with what I associate that feeling with. Ctaper, though it's really only the 130, just feels harsh at times.

Sounds like I may have to give this a try next year. If it's PX performance with more feedback at lighter weight that sounds pretty nice.

Stumbled upon this today at pga superstore. I hit it in the x forged cb 7 iron and its possibly the weirdest feeling shaft I’ve ever swung. I really don’t know how to describe it

i play project x PXi 6.5 currently so was really looking forward to the new comparison. They feel nothing alike IMO. This won’t make any sense, but the IO felt heavier, more stout while also having a kick. I don’t feel any of that in the PXi. IO was very accurate and kept the flight neutral but speed was way down compared to what I’m used to. They happened to have a PXi fitting shaft there so after about 20 swings with the IO we swapped out in to the PXi. First swing was 4mph faster. Next 2 were 6 mph faster while lowering launch a degree and raising RPM’s by almost 300

Results will be different for everyone but I’m passing on this shaft. Gonna have to buy some uncut PXi’s on eBay while I can

Tried the 6.5 today in an xforged CB. Not really sure what to make of it, but I did get good numbers with it while not swinging that hard. Feeling kinda reminded me of the ctaper 120S. Firm but not harsh. The 6.0 LZ I tried right after it definitely had a much more pronounced kick.

Tried the 6.5 today in an xforged CB. Not really sure what to make of it, but I did get good numbers with it while not swinging that hard. Feeling kinda reminded me of the ctaper 120S. Firm but not harsh. The 6.0 LZ I tried right after it definitely had a much more pronounced kick.
C-taper 120 S is probably a close comparison...cant quite put my finger on it, something was way off with this shaft for me. Did not care for it at all.... But accuracy was very good and a neutral flight

I'd agree PX LZ will have a more pronounced kick than the IO

So I have a LOT of swings in with these shafts on store clubs now and I struggle to describe them too. They hold up really well to an aggressive transition for their weight and still feel like they offer a good amount feel. I lean towards the less feel end though. Launch and spin have been consistently neutral for me. No combo has stood out as really high or low in either regard when considering the heads. I prefer a lower launch with mid-high spin, that's what my swing is set up for, and they've just really hit that expectation. The more interesting thing to me is how laser straight they've been for me, and easy to shape. I've hit them on good, fresh days, and days when I've been much slower and less aggressive, and my ability to just step in and paint the line or work them both ways seems nearly unchanged. That's not usually the case for me. I can seem younger than I am or a hell of a lot older swinging it some days and the grear usually isn't shy about telling me about it. The whole experience makes me :unsure: each time.

Anyway, I ordered them in my soon to arrive Apex MB blind, because the flight characteristics and dispersion I've had with them across different heads has been impossible to ignore. So I should have actual course time in with them soon, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Last edited:
I've been playing the 6.5 in my Apex MBs and they've been solid. Mid-ish launch with great dispersion. There's something with the lighter weight combined with the feel of them towards the wedges that I'm struggling with a bit, but I'm giving it some time because they're just lighter than I'm used to.

I ordered some to put in my 4-6 Apex Pros but they're backordered in the 4 and 5, which is annoying, because playing a mixed shaft set on the wrong day goes poorly. They definitely feel unique and the transition is a little rough.

Has anyone else actually put them in play?

Last edited:
We have some more coming pretty soon on this lineup that a number of people including @Canadan have really enjoyed .

I can’t wait to spend more time with them. And compare them to LS as well.

These really intrigue me. They're in the same weight profile I got fit into - and supposedly the profile is similar to the C-Taper Lites that I've got now. But I am partial to True/PX as a brand, so wouldn't mind having an option from them.

These and the LS offerings from pro x are really good.

These really intrigue me. They're in the same weight profile I got fit into - and supposedly the profile is similar to the C-Taper Lites that I've got now. But I am partial to True/PX as a brand, so wouldn't mind having an option from them.
I don't think they are similar to CTL, but I could be wrong.

CTL launch into orbit for me... but then again so do regular CTaper soooo

I don't think they are similar to CTL, but I could be wrong.

CTL launch into orbit for me... but then again so do regular CTaper soooo

Hmm - I'd read that somewhere, but I'm trying to remember where. Good to know. I still would like to try them though. I like that ~105-110g weight.

Hmm - I'd read that somewhere, but I'm trying to remember where. Good to know. I still would like to try them though. I like that ~105-110g weight.
It is a wonderful weight. I can't imagine going back to 130.

I'm bumping this now that a lot of people here have seen @Canadan have a field day with them in the tech studio.

I've been playing them for a couple months or so now and they are really something. Have them in my X Forged and Apex MB, and love them in both. I continue to get a mid flight for their heads, easy loading and feel, and ability to hold up to just about any swing I put on them. I'm impressed with them every time I play them. I know that's just me and my clubs, but Dan obviously really enjoys them too, and I think I've said before that historically I've found unique value in the things he and I can both appreciate. We have very different swings, ball flights, etc, and I think it says a lot about a product when they can fall into a limited overlap between two different players.

Anyway, watch the vids of Dan smoothing the **** out of a bunch of shots with them, and then so yourself a favor and go try them if you haven't. You might like 'em. ;)

I thoroughly came away impressed by these. It was fun not just to hit them and watch Dan hit them, but to talk to Keenan about them.

Historically I’ve been fit into standard PX multiple times but they’re so freaking harsh it just beat me to a pulp. These though, that PXi feel is there and it’s something special in terms of stability and flight profile. The idea of 110g in that 6.0 range is enticing as heck for me as well.

I really want to pair the IO with the Apex Combo set! The XForged CBs were great with them.

Back