Pros Withdrawing Due to Poor Play/Weather

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Looks like Graham DeLaet decided Patty Reed deserved a slap on the wrist for bailing on the final round of the Farmers..

Reed had withdrawn from the event after carding an 81 on Saturday. What do you guys think? Deserved twitter spanking? Poor form? "SHHHHH" memes? How do you feel about players bailing on tourneys after three rounds because they are out of contention?

Not cool at all (assuming it wasnt injury related). Not a big fan of quitters.

Im sure if Spieth did it there would be a bounty on his head

I personally dont care, I mean its his paycheck. Do I think they should do it? Of course not, shows poor form. There could have more too his WD other than a bad round, like a small injury or something.

Unless they are hurt is shows that they have poor sportsmanship. Way to be a role model, just quit when things go your way. Glad that Reed got called out.

A few articles do mention a ankle injury, so thats a different animal IMO

I dislike it. Have said so with Tiger & Phil. WD for injury, family emergency are completely fine. I guess though at the end of the day, it's their own paycheck that they are messing with.

Don't like Reed anyways so this doesn't help. Suck it up and play unless the reason is legit.

Finish the round/tournament unless it's a serious injury or family issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But can anyone honestly say it bothers them? I mean I dont know the guy I watch golf becasue I like watching the best players in the world at the top of their game. IF they dont want to be there I dont want see them.

I don't like to see them quit because of poor play. The fans and sponsors are out there and the players should be as well.

If the weather is bad enough, then the event shouldn't be happening. If the tour says the weather is good enough... then the players should be out there giving it their best.

Injuries/unforeseen issues are a different story of course.

I think it's somewhat funny though that he says it's ok for guys to WD today.

But can anyone honestly say it bothers them? I mean I dont know the guy I watch golf becasue I like watching the best players in the world at the top of their game. IF they dont want to be there I dont want see them.
Patrick Reed bothers me so yes this does. Would bother me if Bubba did it as well. Anyone else wouldn't really care most likely.

If the conditions are safe for them to play and they're not injured - no excuse IMO.

I won't lose sleep over someone doing it but it's still poor sportsmanship. I'm not against him getting called out because if certain players did it, they'd be called out by everyone.

Just adds to reasons why I can't stand the guy.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Why did DeLaet really care? Just because it left his group as a twosome? Big Deal! He ends up playing faster I guess ... so he will have to wait on the groups ahead since he is the last group off. Get over it.

Like some have said ... it's his paycheck. If he feels he doesn't need to make the money if he finishes dead last, so be it. It's his decision. No one else should take it personally. I don't think the PGA should have played in those conditions anyway.

Gotta love the Twitter call outs. Definitely his prerogative, but kind of bush league IMO.

Not cool at all (assuming it wasnt injury related). Not a big fan of quitters.

Im sure if Spieth did it there would be a bounty on his head
Or Tiger

is it fair to say reed took a spot away from someone else?

Patrick Reed bothers me so yes this does. Would bother me if Bubba did it as well. Anyone else wouldn't really care most likely.
Fair enough. I would never walk off the course for bad play and wouldnt teach my son to either. Something about a pro golfer doing that really doesnt bother me haha. I guess because they are out there playing for all that money and him personally having won millions that I could really care less if they WD just for not playing well. Maybe he needed to get his head straight and just wasnt into it, only he knows. At the end of the day I will be at work the next monday he will be in a new city playing golf for a living.

For a legitimate reason, I think it's perfectly acceptable. Sometime's it really is better to WD.

But if that isn't the case, its his reputation that's being hurt and he deserves all of the backlash that comes from it.

is it fair to say reed took a spot away from someone else?

No ... since he had already made the cut for the weekend. But after shooting 81 on Saturday he had no interest.

Well I would love to call into work for a day off when I am not sick ... and still stay employed ... I am also thankful that I do not have the public reviewing why I did not show up to work ...

In this case ... this is your living Patrick ... its the people on the other side of the ropes that provide your life style ... and your going to quit early ... IMHO total disrespect for his fan base.

I think it's somewhat funny though that he says it's ok for guys to WD today.

I was going to ask that as a follow up, but thought it was a bit different. Extending a tournament to a Monday after 10 hours of on/off course on Sunday kind of makes it a different story. These guys need to rest for the upcoming tournament, and I am sure their plans showed otherwise. Running through the bad weather gauntlet is effort enough, especially if spectators aren't allowed on course with them today.

It shouldn't come down to him having won money already before and just needing to get his head straight, for me it common morals, you can't just go home at 11 am for no reason and your boss think it's acceptable. Sets a bad example. That's not how the world works or at least it shouldn't. I don't care if a person is below the poverty line or in the 1%, general morals should be the same regardless

Back