Pros Withdrawing Due to Poor Play/Weather

I wonder how serious the PGA will take this if it ever becomes a real trend.

Suspension from said tournament the following year+?
Suspension from tournament immediately following due to claimed injury?
Neutral doctor visit confirming claimed injury?
Fines?
FedEx Cup points?

Seems like the fans have always been a lot more concerned than the tour has been about these decisions, but each sample makes it more interesting.
I would hope someone could be trusted to tell the truth regarding an injury.

For me it has no affect but it's definitely poor sportsmanship and IMO fits in with his persona. Iirc Rory hit blasted pretty good for quitting because of a toothache.

The guy who missed the cut by 1 might be pissed.

No ... since he had already made the cut for the weekend. But after shooting 81 on Saturday he had no interest.

if you w/d for injury or a family emergency, fine. but if you do it out of convenience or a lack of interest, you took a spot away from somebody who could have possibly made the cut and made some money. it's ridiculously self-serving IF that's why he withdrew.

Right now its hard to say its a bad move until the full details are found out. I think most would agree that if is some kinda injury than he has a reason to do it. Just have to wait and see.

I'm far from the biggest Patrick Reed fan, but I have no problem with this. Brutal weather, not in contention, don't need the money or the points? Leave and get ready for the next tourney. All it takes is one weird swing in brutal weather to take you out for awhile. Other sports take out their starters when the game isn't on the line, I don't have a problem with Reed's decision, but understand how many don't agree with it.

I truly don't care. If someone wants to quit, let them quit. It's their life and choice. Won't affect me in any way

I truly don't care. If someone wants to quit, let them quit. It's their life and choice. Won't affect me in any way

Kinda my thoughts as well. Injury or not, lack of interest or whatever it might be, I couldn't care less.

I'm sure I'm the only person here that after a tough as nails morning told my boss "I've had enough for one day. I'll finish up at home or from the nearest bar".

As far as doctor visit to confirm an injury, that's just laughable. Are they independent contractors or employees of the PGA Tour?

Put the big boy pants on and finish.

Yeah, he had an ankle injury just like Ovechkin was hurt and Toews was sick for the NHL all-star game.

They get penalized by having to sit out a game. What is Reed's penalty for the PGA?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm far from the biggest Patrick Reed fan, but I have no problem with this. Brutal weather, not in contention, don't need the money or the points? Leave and get ready for the next tourney. All it takes is one weird swing in brutal weather to take you out for awhile. Other sports take out their starters when the game isn't on the line, I don't have a problem with Reed's decision, but understand how many don't agree with it.

very true, but by pulling those starters it doesn't affect the livelihood of other athletes who could have potentially received a chance to make some money and potentially qualify to play again next year. rory was rightly lit up for doing this, and tiger has been as well. to rory's credit, he came out and basically apologized for it. we probably never would have known about this were it not for delaet's tweet. i wonder if it's because patty isn't well respected among his peers?

A few articles do mention a ankle injury, so thats a different animal IMO

I'm definitely not a fan of someone walking away, either due to bad weather/conditions, or because they're out of contention. If Reed really did have an ankle issue, then I wouldn't place any blame with him.

very true, but by pulling those starters it doesn't affect the livelihood of other athletes who could have potentially received a chance to make some money and potentially qualify to play again next year. rory was rightly lit up for doing this, and tiger has been as well. to rory's credit, he came out and basically apologized for it. we probably never would have known about this were it not for delaet's tweet. i wonder if it's because patty isn't well respected among his peers?

Play better and you'll get a chance to make some money. Reed's played some really good golf to get where he is and I don't fault him at all for using the rules however he wants to. I understand your point and it makes sense, but I don't think Reed owes anybody an apology. I think it's pretty well documented how the other players feel about him. If some people want to bash him for it, that's fine, but it doesn't change my opinion of him at all.

No one here gets sick days? It's his money and life he should be able to do what he wants. Besides that DeLaet should be happy he bailed, it got him thru his round faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one here gets sick days? It's his money and life he should be able to do what he wants. Besides that DeLaet should be happy he bailed, it got him thru his round faster.

Why would his round time change? They were the last tee time and probably waiting on every hole.

Why would his round time change? They were the last tee time and probably waiting on every hole.

Less people in a group means less time playing golf. I didn't know they were the last group, I mean why would a guy that shot 81 on Friday be in the final group on the weekend?

Less people in a group means less time playing golf. I didn't know they were the last group, I mean why would a guy that shot 81 on Friday be in the final group on the weekend?

tee off on 1 and 10 he had last tee time on 10

I think they split the tees or something. Said they were the last tee time I think on the 10th tee box.

Either way, it shouldn't factor into anything.

I think they split the tees or something. Said they were the last tee time I think on the 10th tee box.

Either way, it shouldn't factor into anything.

It shouldn't factor into Reeds decision, but it would factor into DeLaets decision to be a 12 year old girl about and it. Maybe it's just me but I get tired of hearing people gripe on Twitter about someone.

Perhaps if he put the same amount of energy into his game as he does his Twitter account he'd have a win by now.

I dislike it. Have said so with Tiger & Phil. WD for injury, family emergency are completely fine. I guess though at the end of the day, it's their own paycheck that they are messing with.

I agree.

It shouldn't factor into Reeds decision, but it would factor into DeLaets decision to be a 12 year old girl about and it. Maybe it's just me but I get tired of hearing people gripe on Twitter about someone.

Perhaps if he put the same amount of energy into his game as he does his Twitter account he'd have a win by now.

He actually called a guy out. I see zero issues with him putting it on twitter. If anything, hopefully this brings the issue forward. Rory has done it in the past, along with others, unless legit reasoning, there is no need for it.

If that's the case, dont commit to show up in the first place.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I am not familiar with how 12 year old girls use twitter, but it's clear your emotions towards twitter and DeLaet's skill level far outweigh professionals finishing the events they start.

He actually called a guy out. I see zero issues with him putting it on twitter. If anything, hopefully this brings the issue forward. Rory has done it in the past, along with others, unless legit reasoning, there is no need for it.

If that's the case, dont commit to show up in the first place.

Agreed. I enjoyed a couple of articles that laughed at the idea of him using twitter as an outlet to get his number when he could probably just call 20-30 pros and get it if he really wanted to talk to Reed about it.

This is obviously his belief that you should, as a professional, finish what you started and not back out just because you played like hot garbage for a round.

Back