PSA: Beware of Scammer PM's

Received this email in reply to a WTB posting this morning and it seems........fishy.

Thought I should say something here before replying to him on it. There were pics of the shaft provided, but no other identifying info.

Nathan09

JoinedFeb 27, 2023
Messages7 Reaction score0
Today at 10:46 AM
Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW Orange Driver Shaft 65
Flex Stiff
Grip Golf Pride MCC Plus Midsize (new)
Ping Adapter (G430 425 G410)

Price $100 shipped.

Received this email in reply to a WTB posting this morning and it seems........fishy.

Thought I should say something here before replying to him on it. There were pics of the shaft provided, but no other identifying info.

Nathan09

JoinedFeb 27, 2023
Messages7 Reaction score0
Today at 10:46 AM
Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW Orange Driver Shaft 65
Flex Stiff
Grip Golf Pride MCC Plus Midsize (new)
Ping Adapter (G430 425 G410)

Price $100 shipped.
I had a strange exchange with him. Sent GG and JB screenshots, should I have some something different?

I had a strange exchange with him. Sent GG and JB screenshots, should I have some something different?
32AE1824-6555-4723-8639-491BF3364790.png
I always just go to their page and report them as a possible scammer just to be safe.

I don't know. This is my first time having to deal with something like this on here. I have no idea what the procedure is

if you just report it one of us will see it and take care of it

View attachment 9162510
I always just go to their page and report them as a possible scammer just to be safe.

I just got scammed by this guy. lol. im such an idiot. i wish i read this post BEFORE doing the transaction. out $250. dang it. totally my fault. ugh.

I just got scammed by this guy. lol. im such an idiot. i wish i read this post BEFORE doing the transaction. out $250. dang it. totally my fault. ugh.
They have been removed from the forum.

Dang. Sorry to hear that!

They have been removed from the forum.

Thanks - wish they were removed when people reported them scamming a month ago - would have saved me $250. I take responsibility for being naive and not checking here, using Venmo instead of paypal etc. At least no one else will get burnt by this dirtbag.

Thanks - wish they were removed when people reported them scamming a month ago - would have saved me $250. I take responsibility for being naive and not checking here, using Venmo instead of paypal etc. At least no one else will get burnt by this dirtbag.
it was reported and looked into.

We do not police the marketplace due to liability. We do offer advice which is to only deal with Albatross Club members. If someone chooses not to, or not to join, that is completely up to them, but we have not heard of a single issue going that route.

These are getting more elaborate. I wish this forums would be better about this. Used to be new user, no posts, no pics and weird language directing to another contact. But I got scammed by one with pics and posts and messages. Beware only happens on this forum for some reason

These are getting more elaborate. I wish this forums would be better about this. Used to be new user, no posts, no pics and weird language directing to another contact. But I got scammed by one with pics and posts and messages. Beware only happens on this forum for some reason
Was it an Albatross Club member?

Who was it?

Details-- who dun it? Albatross member? More posts than you?

But I got scammed by one with pics and posts and messages. Beware only happens on this forum for some reason
Having memberships on multiple forums, covering a variety of special interests, in at least a half dozen of which I participate on a regular basis, I can assure you this is most assuredly not true.

It happens on all web forums in which members buy and sell.

On one forum we found the following to be highly effective--to the point of nearly eliminating the problem entirely. I mentioned it in New Marketplace Rule - You Must Include your Forum Name & Date in Listing, post #37:
Insist in your advert a member must first reply in the advert thread, and they may follow-up in a PM. That won't eliminate scammers, but it may discourage some of them. It will also make them immediately visible to other members and site administration--either of which may take it into their heads to look into the individual making the offer ;)

In fact the only time that failed to do the trick, near as I can recall, was when a legitimate, long-time member's account had been compromised by a scammer and said scammer was able to represent that member. It was only discovered when, long after his money was gone, he complained the member had stiffed him.

Robertty is the guy that scammed me. He never provided tracking and now that I filed a PayPal claim he is saying I already received a refund and responding with nonsense on PayPal that he paid in bitcoin.

BTW, this IS the only forum (I have belonged to several golf and nongolf) that within 24 hours of a wtb I get scam pms. I just fell for this one cause it was different than all the many previous ones and had pics and a person that had previous posts. Oh well. Hope PayPal comes through on this.

Last edited:
FYI I was scammed by a user named jb7302988. I posted an add looking for a senior shaft for my neighbor, jb7302988 sent me a private message and stated his dad had one and gave me his email address robbineddie09@gmail.com. I contacted him he send me pics and we agreed on price. A few days later he emailed me saying he needed additional $20 for shipping, it was at that time I told him just to refund me money and he agreed. As of today he has not and he has responded by telling me just to pay the additional $20 and he can ship it. It is a lesson learned I guess I was trying to help out a friend and got scammed. Just wanted to make everyone aware to stay clear of the member (who has since deleted his account)

Robertty is the guy that scammed me. He never provided tracking and now that I filed a PayPal claim he is saying I already received a refund and responding with nonsense on PayPal that he paid in bitcoin.

BTW, this IS the only forum (I have belonged to several golf and nongolf) that within 24 hours of a wtb I get scam pms. I just fell for this one cause it was different than all the many previous ones and had pics and a person that had previous posts. Oh well. Hope PayPal comes through on this.

Best bet is to only deal with AC members. @Robertty isn't one and his account just looks fishy.

Best bet is to only deal with AC members. @Robertty isn't one and his account just looks fishy.
All the red flags of a potential scammer are there - brand new member, very few posts, not an AC member. I wouldn't touch anything from one of those accounts with a ten foot pole, I'd go pay full retail for what I was looking for rather than chancing it with them. I would only deal with an established long-time member who is AC, has ties to other members, and is involved with the community here.

All the red flags of a potential scammer are there - brand new member, very few posts, not an AC member. I wouldn't touch anything from one of those accounts with a ten foot pole, I'd go pay full retail for what I was looking for rather than chancing it with them. I would only deal with an established long-time member who is AC, has ties to other members, and is involved with the community here.
And we will continue to say, report the member if anybody gets a message so that we can take care of it.
We also say only deal with AC members. :D

Back