PSA: Beware of Scammer PM's

Best thing y’all can do is report them, and we’ll take care of them asap. They’re annoying for all of us

Best thing y’all can do is report them, and we’ll take care of them asap. They’re annoying for all of us

Just got a message from brand new member 'ralphgentuu' replying to a WTB post I had, asking me to send him and email and all necessary details will be provided.

Just got a message from brand new member 'ralphgentuu' replying to a WTB post I had, asking me to send him and email and all necessary details will be provided.
Click that report button and the mods can take care of that for you.

FYI someone tried to scam me last night. Here is how it worked...

I created a WTB post for a Garmin R10. Within an hour or so I received a private message from a user. In their post they showed a picture of the unit on carpet, along with an envelope with their name and the date hand written. They had mentioned that they were in New York State and didn't need the unit. The price was a bit more than I wanted to pay.

Initially the message looked legit. He had taken a picture of the unit so my first thought was "clearly he owns one" so maybe this is good. I searched for the name on the envelope and found a match, even including his username, which was an abbreviation of the city that person lived.

So far so good. But...there were red flags.

Red Flags:
1. The account was opened no more than a week or so ago with only 10 posts.
2. They offered proof that they owned it (Reddit/FB Marketplace style) before I asked.
3. I asked if everything worked. Their reply was not perfect English.
4. When they sent me a Paypal payment request, the account requesting the money did not match his, and the name was Indian/Pakistan.
5. He told me it was his wife's name. I searched for their name online, but the spouse name did not match the spouse listed. Her name was Melissa but the paypal account was Prisila.

This was obviously a scam. So then I went on Fakebook and Reddit, and found the exact picture on a FB marketplace ad the same day. And someone else bought it. So maybe they were scammed, or maybe this scammer just grabbed the photo. I tend to think the latter, but the username matched the city so not sure.

These losers are here waiting for us. Be on your toes!

Scammer Alert:

Received a dm from this person. Definitely a scam.

lawrenceg14 started a new conversation with you at The Hackers Paradise.

One Length irons
You can checked with Williams, he has it available. You can confirm from him, his contact is (408) 713-9568 I purchased items from him in the past and they arrived in top condition.

Scammer Alert:

Received a dm from this person. Definitely a scam.

lawrenceg14 started a new conversation with you at The Hackers Paradise.

One Length irons
You can checked with Williams, he has it available. You can confirm from him, his contact is (408) 713-9568 I purchased items from him in the past and they arrived in top condition.
Had that same one earlier but someone must’ve reported it as it’s no longer in my dms

Had that same one earlier but someone must’ve reported it as it’s no longer in my dms
Yep, it is gone from my dm's also but I still had the email from him.

I have been lurking for years- but joined a few weeks ago. I am/was a long time member at GEA - Shoptalk- WRX - Wishon My first post was a WTB and I was hit by two scammers within a day- Hard to trust people these days. what a shame.

Just received a private message from a scammer. Beware

1656385155244.png

Brand new member, zero posts, not Albatross Club, broken English. Seems legit. :ROFLMAO:
Just seems like so much work for so little conversion rate - I don't get it...

Got an email from what I’m sure is a scammer this morning telling me he knew someone selling the Nike golf shoes I am looking for that I posted about and said to reach out via email. Didn’t respond. Went to check to see if anyone had a post, which they didn’t. When I went back the PM was gone. First thing I looked at in the message was the noon date which was today. Not sure how the message got deleted but either way was sure it was a scam.

Got an email from what I’m sure is a scammer this morning telling me he knew someone selling the Nike golf shoes I am looking for that I posted about and said to reach out via email. Didn’t respond. Went to check to see if anyone had a post, which they didn’t. When I went back the PM was gone. First thing I looked at in the message was the noon date which was today. Not sure how the message got deleted but either way was sure it was a scam.
It was definitely a scam. Likely what happened was he was spam blocked by a mod and all his posts were removed. That’s why we ask for you guys to report stuff like that so we can take care of it quickly

Same here, 2nd one in a weeks time. Dirt bags! Thanks

Attachments

• 54C975DE-94C6-42EF-A75D-5D2500D1828F.png
    54C975DE-94C6-42EF-A75D-5D2500D1828F.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 28
It was definitely a scam. Likely what happened was he was spam blocked by a mod and all his posts were removed. That’s why we ask for you guys to report stuff like that so we can take care of it quickly
Yep. I just did a little research and was about to report it and it was gone. Haha

Ah, yes: The ol' "I know somebody who has what you're looking for. Here's his email address" scam.

Just got a message that was basically exactly this. Looks like more scammers are back

I also got one, reported it.

Back