PTx Irons For THPers - The 2016 Ben Hogan Experience

If you go through the fitting process using the Forth Worth 15 irons when you get to the final prescription screen the shaft drop down list shows their optional upcharge shafts.

From their FAQ:

Q
What are my shaft options for the clubs?
A
Our testing revealed the best performance in the FT WORTH 15 irons and TK 15 wedgeswas with the KBS Tour V (standard weight steel), the KBS Tour 90 (lightweight steel) and the UST Mamiya Recoil 660 and 680 in graphite. We also offer a selection of “in house custom” shafts at an extra charge, including KBS Tour C-Taper, C-Taper Lite, Nippon 850 & 950 GH, Nippon Modus Tour 130, True Temper Dynamic Gold, True Temper XP, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 & 110, MRC Kuro Kage LB. We can accommodate your personal preferences for any shaft readily available on the market for a reasonable upcharge.

Last edited:
I decided to resist the temptation to over think this. I went with my online fitting suggestion:

Mid Launch Loft Profile: 22/26/30/34/38/42/46
Recoil 680, S
Stock Hogan grips
Standard length and lie.

edit - I forgot about wraps, +1 if possible.

Last edited:
I felt the same way. I tried some of my clubs at 2* strong and saw no noticeable difference in ball flight so I didn't think straying from what I'm comfortable with would be a wise choice. Who knows, with their linear CG design the ball flight might be perfect in the lofts I'm used to.

Have been going back and forth between the series of launch profiles but deciding to go with what the fitting process spits out every time. Ran some thoughts by KC720 and he came to the similar thought process...thanks buddy.

The lofts and lie angles vary a touch compared to my gamers, but the low/mid profile is the closest match in the bottom of the bag.

The standard lengths also vary when I get to the 4 and 5 irons. They increase 1/4 and 1/2 inch in those clubs, but also drop the lie in both.

Without knowing how these flight it is a guessing game so I am going with what I would like to see (as per the fitting guide) and what is close to my gamers.

Low/Mid Launch Profile
21-25-29-33-37-41-45

Standard Length
2* Flat

Ben Hogan Performance Plus grip +2 wraps

TourV X

EDIT: Just putting it in here for now to continue pondering before I respond to the PM...haha

wow, did not think of that one, great idea if possible. Is it on the table??

I wonder if PX LZ iron shafts are a potential option? I might be willing to pay for those bad boys!

Guys,
GG's PM has the shafts available.
And further info for any shafts wanted down the road.

GG, told me to order off the list and we could discuss options out there, I went with the Mid-low setup with the KBS Tour V in Stiff and if they can soft step them once even better .50" over standard and standard grips +3 wraps. Hoping that will keep the swingweight around D2 or so.

Ok, this series of posts got me excited and I'm not a participant.
Really looking forward to following along and hearing everyone's thoughts.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Hi guys
77130a8474841b39de35fecb991e16bc.jpg

Wow, I like those more than I thought I would.

Submitted my thoughts via PM and nothing changed from this afternoon. Set in motion and looking forward to seeing how this combo will fly.

This time next week I will be enjoying company of old friends and new ones before the kick off the next morning!!!

EDIT: Well...not seeing the time...will more than likely be dreaming about what's about to happen.

Man there a group of really lucky guys in this thread

I, too, submitted my setup via PM.

Really tired this morning, between playing on the net, Hogan as well as other sites, and thinking about what was going to happen next week I don't think I went to sleep until well after midnight.

I went with KBS Tour V in Stiff flex paired with the High Launch lofts (47* PW). Standard everything else.
I decided to use the Ben Hogan standard grip since I didn't see the UTx Wrap or UTx available on their site.

I think it turned out to be pretty cool that we could do the online fitting and submit an order, and that the clubs will be there waiting for us in a week. From a testing perspective this is how the overwhelming majority of people will do it, so that's a plus too.

On a different note, my setup likely means re-working the bottom of my bag. That was one of my considerations when making my choice...try to fit the irons to blend with my wedges or not. I went with not, better to trust the fitting tool to end up with proper irons and deal with the wedges separately.

Last edited:
I think it turned out to be pretty cool that we could do the online fitting and submit an order, and that the clubs will be there waiting for us in a week. From a testing perspective this is how the overwhelming majority of people will do it, so that's a plus too.

On a different note, my setup likely means re-working the top end of my bag. That was one of my considerations when making my choice...try to fit the irons to blend with my wedges or not. I went with not, better to trust the fitting tool to end up with proper irons and deal with the wedges separately.
I am going to need to add a wedge at the bottom and re-work the top a little bit. I will want to see how far the Hogan's carry for me and then I can try decide on a hybrid setup.

Guys, I hate to post this but will.
This event is all about the irons and we wanted you to have them immediately for multiple rounds of golf and get a chance to play with the guys from Hogan Golf, in a team competition event with some awesome prizes on the line. To do this, shaft options had to be available that the company has in their warehouse available immediately. They offer other customchoices, but those must get sourced at the the time of order and the lead time is 2 weeks.

GG made mention in the PM, that at the conclusion of the weekend, if someone wants to talk to their captain about a shaft switch, they can do so (there may be charges that apply). However we think the choices can fit most amateurs, and while you disagree that is your choice and you are welcome to shaft them with anything you would like at the conclusion of the event. With that said, part of this event is the reviews that come afterwards. It was listed in the signup and agreed to by each and every person that signed up. If you are telling yourself without trying the irons, that the shaft choices are going to keep you from reviewing the irons and enjoying the irons, we have no issue at all if you would prefer to be removed from the event.

We would hate to have someone going and getting a brand new set of irons that they feel are already working against them, due to not having enough shaft choices. We will need to hear from you by Sunday morning if this is the case, and while we hope that it is not, there are people that firmly believe that it is going to keep them from being able to properly review the irons. So there are no hard feelings and we can fill the vacancy with no issue at all.

Thank you.

Our local fitter just got some of these in and they are sweet. I didn't get a chance to swing them yet but he had nothing but great things to say about them. You guys are in for a real treat I think!

Unbelievable is all I can say

Only on the internet haha

I think the High Launch lofts paired with the Tour V's are going to be a freaking deadly combo for me. I can't wait to get these in hand and share our thoughts with THP!

I think the High Launch lofts paired with the Tour V's are going to be a freaking deadly combo for me. I can't wait to get these in hand and share our thoughts with THP!
Tour v is such a solid shaft going to be a great pairing for you

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am going to be very curious how everyone likes these irons. Not an iron that is super easy to find and hit so the reviews are going to be a valuable tool in evaluating these.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This is directed at me and what I sent was my honest opinion. And the message from GG made it sound like other than standard options might be available right now, not down the road.

This is what she sent:

And this was my response:

It has nothing to do with the iron design and I will still give the head a fair review. But it was presented that other shafts might be an option so I asked. And I gave a second choice of the stock options just in case.

A message indicating that the X100 wasn't an option wouldn't have been met by me with any resistance.

I would still like to attend and I will change shafts on my own after the event if I feel like it's necessary.

It was actually not directed at anybody in particular, but to the group as a whole. No one person knows the communication of others and we will keep it that way.

That combo sounds awesome. Will be interested in your thoughts after getting them in hand

Back