Puma YouV Long Sleeve Baselayer Golf Shirt

BigDill

2023 Morgan Cup - Team Hackers - Cobra Golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Just received a Puma YouV long sleeve base layer shirt from my recent Puma golf order. I wanted to get one of these in hand to see if it would replace the sun sleeves I sometimes wear in the unrelenting Florida sun. I am really pleased with it now that I have it in hand.

From a material perspective, it feels lightweight and not restrictive or heat-retaining at all. Its verry soft, but a different soft than the cloudspun material. A bit lighter weight as well. I think it is a closer feel to the MATTR material, but like 1/3 of the thickness, if that makes sense. If you have ever had a very well worn cotton shirt that is almost see though, then that would be the closet analogy as to feel. Even with this, it claims a 50+ SPF rating, which is pretty impressive.

Fit wise, I went with a large. I am a large in all Puma polos and tees. The fit is much tighter than normal, and that's a great thing. Its not as tight as an Under Armor fitted base layer, but not baggy like just having a long sleeve shirt. It is really perfect in terms of fit balance, which just a slight amount of baggyness on my frame. For reference, I am 6 foot tall, 195 in weight.

I love this, and will definitely be ordering more.

IMG_7756.jpegIMG_7757.jpeg

Last edited:
That is interesting, may look into this

Interesting to me. Will be following

That is interesting, may look into this
I was concerned it would be too thick, but its not at all. While it will probably retain a bit of heat, I think that is true with any sleeve option. I like this better than 90% of the other options I have tried, and this is by far the most convenient option.

Interesting to me. Will be following
I like it so much I am currently wearing it under my work polo. I would definitely call the fit tailored to tight, but not compressive. I still have full rance of motion and comfort, and dont feel like my love handles are on full display.

I was concerned it would be too thick, but its not at all. While it will probably retain a bit of heat, I think that is true with any sleeve option. I like this better than 90% of the other options I have tried, and this is by far the most convenient option.
Yeah playing in AZ summers multiple days in a row is not ideal. I have a natural tan but still need to get better with protection.

I like it so much I am currently wearing it under my work polo. I would definitely call the fit tailored to tight, but not compressive. I still have full rance of motion and comfort, and dont feel like my love handles are on full display.
I was talking to @DannyLe about this as he wears one.
Seeing far too many friends have skin issues, I am in heavy ponder.

I would definitely consider it. I wear sun sleeves if I have been out in the sun too much. I have not moved to a long sleeve as I haven't found one that is comfortable.

I kid you not, I’ve eyed these a few times my last orders. I’m trying to be more cognizant of my skin in the sun, and this is something know could help there.

I was talking to @DannyLe about this as he wears one.
Seeing far too many friends have skin issues, I am in heavy ponder.
Your story of a friend who had some issues from a while back on WGP got me back to thinking about wearing sleeves again. The sun is unrelenting and unforgiving. Being in Miami, its always a tradeoff between comfort and protection. I dislike how the arm sleeves roll down from my armpit and bunch a bit sometimes, so I am constantly adjusting. This shirt is a much more elegant solution. In a perfect world, I would wish that the sleeves are a bit tighter. But I could also work out and have that same effect.

I've never seen or noticed this but not something I'd really wear.

Ohhhhhh this is a hard ponder

I currently wear sleeves but will be following along to hear your thoughts as this could be a great option.

I grabbed some shirts like this recently and tried them out for the first time last week Friday and they were heavier than I was expecting and I am not sure how well they did on cooling. The ones I got were on Amazon by a company called BALEAF and they say SPF 50+, long sleeve, rash guard, running, fishing, quick dry, light weight.

After it was washed and my wife was putting the clothes away, she said she was shocked at how heavy it was, so maybe the Puma shirt would be a better option for me.

I currently wear sleeves but will be following along to hear your thoughts as this could be a great option.
I will be wearing it out on the course Sunday.

I grabbed some shirts like this recently and tried them out for the first time last week Friday and they were heavier than I was expecting and I am not sure how well they did on cooling. The ones I got were on Amazon by a company called BALEAF and they say SPF 50+, long sleeve, rash guard, running, fishing, quick dry, light weight.

After it was washed and my wife was putting the clothes away, she said she was shocked at how heavy it was, so maybe the Puma shirt would be a better option for me.

Would you compare the BALEAF shirt weight to the ubiquitous Columbia PFG long sleeve shirts?

EDIT: reading the reviews, many people compared the BALEAF to the Columbia and HUK shirts. I ahve several, and this YouV is definitely lighter weight than the Columbia PFG shirts I have. also, the BALEAF shirt is 100% poly, and the YouV is 92% Poly and 8% elastine, which makes the YouV much more form fitting.

Yeah, I have never bought or picked up a PFG long sleeve shirt so that's a hard comparison for me. I am glad you found some info though.

Today was the first day I got this shirt on the course, and I have some thoughts. Conditions were typical South Florida summer. Hot, steamy, and some unrelenting sun when it wasn’t raining.

First off, the shirt was very comfortable. It’s so light that you barely notice it’s on. Second, I didn’t feel hot or humid in the shirt. I don’t think I felt as cool as with no sleeves on, but I think that’s true with any sleeves option. In the sub, it was excellent. I t he shade, I felt a bit more warm than what I think I would have without the sleeves.

Also notable was that when I did sweat, it would make the sleeves fee much cooler when I got a gust of wind, which was a nice surprise. That felt cooler than having no sleeves at all.

I did notice a few fabric pulls from my first day if use. Nothing that makes the short unwearable, but something I didn’t like to see at this price point. It’s thought because he material is so soft and thin that some Pisa are going to happen. They were mostly on the outside of my forearm. I was able to stretch the material and they defiantly got better, but they are certainly still there.

Overall, I really like this shirt. I don’t think it will replace just sleeves for every round, but on days were it’s windy or just slightly less than surface of the sun hot, I could wear this every round. Trying it in South Florida summer is a bit of a tall ask for any such item, but I could see that anyone north of Georgia could use this every day of the year with no issue.

Just received a Puma YouV long sleeve base layer shirt from my recent Puma golf order. I wanted to get one of these in hand to see if it would replace the sun sleeves I sometimes wear in the unrelenting Florida sun. I am really pleased with it now that I have it in hand.

From a material perspective, it feels lightweight and not restrictive or heat-retaining at all. Its verry soft, but a different soft than the cloudspun material. A bit lighter weight as well. I think it is a closer feel to the MATTR material, but like 1/3 of the thickness, if that makes sense. If you have ever had a very well worn cotton shirt that is almost see though, then that would be the closet analogy as to feel. Even with this, it claims a 50+ SPF rating, which is pretty impressive.

Fit wise, I went with a large. I am a large in all Puma polos and tees. The fit is much tighter than normal, and that's a great thing. Its not as tight as an Under Armor fitted base layer, but not baggy like just having a long sleeve shirt. It is really perfect in terms of fit balance, which just a slight amount of baggyness on my frame. For reference, I am 6 foot tall, 195 in weight.

I love this, and will definitely be ordering more.

View attachment 9189163View attachment 9189164
You're flexing on us in that pic.

Sleeves for me. No way would I wear two shirts in SC heat and humidity.

I skipped sleeves and the long sleeve sunshirts I got today. It was hot and humid and I didn't want to add any layers. I probably should have used the sleeves, but I tried to stay under the cart roof as much as possible. It was really warm out there today and we are doing it again on the 4th. ;)

Sleeves for me. No way would I wear two shirts in SC heat and humidity.
I think in SC I would have been able to wear this shirt no issue.

I liked these shirts so much that I ordered a second white one, and a navy blue.

I have been wearing these shorts every round down here in Florida this summer, mostly white and sometimes blue. I love them, and I think they are excellent for the price.

Skin cancer is no joke. While I have been comfortable in these shirts, I am more comfortable knowing that I am doing something to try to avoid skin cancer.

I have not been wearing the ones I bought since the first try. It is just a little too heavy to have under a polo. I did however wear the sleeves that my dad gave me years ago and I will do that regularly when playing in full sun as they are not bad in the heat.

Back