This grip talk has me thinking. I've been using some of the bigger grips lately but last night with the stock Odyssey pistol grip it felt like I could release the putter head a little better. I'm not a fan of that grip as a whole but I'm wondering if I should try going back to a smaller grip again. I used to play that Ping blacked out grip for years.

This grip talk has me thinking. I've been using some of the bigger grips lately but last night with the stock Odyssey pistol grip it felt like I could release the putter head a little better. I'm not a fan of that grip as a whole but I'm wondering if I should try going back to a smaller grip again. I used to play that Ping blacked out grip for years.
Midsize GripMaster? Might be a nice, lighter, middle ground.

Reactions: KEV
Spent another hour last night downstairs with the Super Rat and the Olson Legacy.

Was on the phone for 20 minutes with my brother one handing it, and I actually think that intentional stability training helps. Rarely ever do it, and felt like it was strengthening my connection to my right hand.

Interesting.

Spent another hour last night downstairs with the Super Rat and the Olson Legacy.

Was on the phone for 20 minutes with my brother one handing it, and I actually think that intentional stability training helps. Rarely ever do it, and felt like it was strengthening my connection to my right hand.

Interesting.

Which putter felt better?

I sort of hate how well I putt with mallets.

But, I'm never totally confident with one, so its never definitively better than a blade for me.

I sort of hate how well I putt with mallets.

But, I'm never totally confident with one, so its never definitively better than a blade for me.
I sort of hate how I don't get along with mallets.

But, I'm always totally trying to buy one, so it's never definitively sticking with a blade for me.

Interesting.
I did the same during a conference call this morning. It's something I should really just spend ten minutes doing each night.

It's so funny that @Jman and I are ranking the top OTRs you guys picked to make the sweet 16 and our numbers are damn near spot on.

First 6.. identical.
next two swapped.
then a crapshoot haha... although #13 was the same.

I sort of hate how I don't get along with mallets.

But, I'm always totally trying to buy one, so it's never definitively sticking with a blade for me.
I should roll the Elevado forever, but I just can’t.

It's so funny that @Jman and I are ranking the top OTRs you guys picked to make the sweet 16 and our numbers are damn near spot on.

First 6.. identical.
next two swapped.
then a crapshoot haha... although #13 was the same.
Surprising no one! Haha

This might sound like mumbo jumbo. It might come off as rambling. The fact that I have a theme song to my post, you might want to move along (although I imagined you being able to listen to it while you read along).
I used to be a really good putter that has been struggling some lately. I have been putting in a lot of work at the course putting greens on my lunch breaks. The local pro came by last week and gave me a few tips. He had me alternating between putting with my eyes closed and putting with my eyes focused on target.

I had a problem creep in where I had been getting more and more fixated on the ball and putter and mechanics at address. He reminded me of why I first started using one line on my ball and why I loved triple track when it came out. It helped me visualize the line, it gave me confidence that I was lined up correctly and it allowed me not to worry about that part of the putt. But I had started letting triple track take over. I was becoming too mechanical and getting fixated on making the perfect putting stroke and not about putting the ball in the hole.

I just wanted to put it here because the drills and re-reading the Rotella book, “Putting Out of Your Mind” has been helping me. Just pick out a straight short putt, line up, close your eyes, envision the putt and hit it. If you are missing wildly, you probably do have some mechanics that need addressed. If not, obsessing on your stroke might not help you sink more putts.

I have been struggling on the short putts mightily. He had me making 3 footers over and over with my eyes closed. I simply wasn’t picturing a line on short ones like I have to do. I was putting better from outside 6 feet than I was inside.

I should roll the Elevado forever, but I just can’t.

Curious to see how the Triple Track 2ball measures up to the Elevado for you. I should probably be thinning the hoard a little bit to reduce temptations to roll anything else myself.

The grip thing... I have a Superstroke mid slim on my Tei3 Newport and putt well with it. I picked up a Ping Anser 2 milled a couple years ago with the same grip on it and made nothing. I replaced the grip with the midsize Pingman grip that everyone raves about and it feels great and I putted better. Still not as good as the Tei3. Only variable really was the grip...head basically the same.

This summer I picked up a Ping Redwood Anser in mint condition for $60 at GG. I ended up putting an old Ping K fingerlock grip on it. Pistol like I sorta prefer but also a different shape. I putted lights out with it all year. Love the way that grip feels.

I took pictures of three putters the other day with intent to list them but just can't convince myself to post them.

Weird. Don't know why.

This advice probably only applies to higher handicappers who tend to leave the ball pretty far from the hole when they hit the green or the fringe. One of the things I did that helped me the most to cut back on the three-putting was to establish two different putting techniques, one for very long puts (35 feet or more) and one for everything else. And then of course practicing both whenever I can. That changeover distance varies depending on the speed and contour of the greens. 35 feet is an average. For example, It will be longer on faster greens and shorter on very slow greens or steep uphill putts. Again, practice helps me maintain judgment on where to to use which stroke.

For the longer puts, I putt with a chipping stroke as taught by Dave Pelz. And I focus on the ball for these puts. For the shorter putts I use a traditional “pendulum” putting stroke and focus on the hole. Changing to the chipping stroke for longer putts made a huge difference because I am not skilled enough to place the ball really close to the hole from well off the green, especially with any full swing. Thus, I am far away from the hole but on the green or fringe fairly often. My weakling, aging arms were almost always leaving the golf ball quite short on these long putts.

I have found that with the chipping stroke, it’s very easy to get enough speed on the ball to go the distance to the hole. Now, I almost always get within 5 feet on those long putts and most of the time within 3 feet, although the ball may be off to the right or left. Every now and then I hole one like this; those are euphoria putts.

I have a bad back, so I cant practice putting as I should and it really shows. Its very frustrating!

In my seemingly never-ending attempt to be a better putter, I lengthened one of my putters to 34" (from 33") yesterday to try something different. Yields a little more upright posture and a heavier feel due to the 6 point swing weight increase. Will try it for a few rounds.

I may have picked up two more putters.

1 - the most meaningful putter I now own. My granddads Anser 2 that was the last putter he used. It's been at their house in Florida for years, and he passed near the end of 2019. It's not the best fitting shape for me, but it's by far the most meaningful.

2 - may have also picked up a Toulon Portland for my bday :)

I practice putting in my LR while watching golf. Just picked up an Evnroll, a company I was unfamiliar with.

I think I’m gonna reward myself with an elevado after I am cleared to play again

Back