Review: Banff Springs - The Stanley Thompson Course

Tedfroop

One eyed and left handed
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 10.8
Length: Black 6938, White 6389, Gold 5607, Red 4478

History: The Canadian Pacific Railroad had decided that one way to help pay for the railroad was to attract tourists to the Rockies. To this end grand hotels were built and recreation was created for those wealthy enough to travel and stay in the hotels. The original course designer was Donald Ross. Following his success at Jasper Park Lodge Stan Thompson was given the job of revamping the course in 1928. A few of the original Donald Ross holes remain on the course today. The course was brought back to the original Stanley Thompson design a few years ago, and then altered after the first helicopter tour. It seems Mr. Thompson had created a small bunker that had shall we say a womanly shape when viewed from above that no one noticed until they got above it.

Golf%20Vacation%20002.JPG

There is beauty everywhere you look here. Even on the range.

Golf%20Vacation%20010.JPG

Hole 2, It took me a while to decide that the green was indeed raised above where the tee box is. There is also a classic bit of design work here that carries to a lot of Thompson and his protoge Robert Trent Jones golf courses. There is no bump and run. The hill running up to the green leaves the approach steep enough that balls rolling up the bank will never make it far onto the green. Shots falling short will likely bounce back toward the tee.
Make sure you have enough club or a very strong chipping game.

The hole I have looked forward to playing for a very long time:
Golf%20Vacation%20020.JPG

The Devils Calderon. What do you say? All I could think of was "Grab the camera". To start with, the water is clear, thats the bottom of the pond showing through.
This particular day the hole was playing about 175 from the white tees. It's a tough little hole too, postage stamp size green sloping toward the pond, yawning bunkers and no real bail out area. Missing long leaves a downhill bunker or chip shot towards the pond. I just caught the right front bunker about pin high.

Greenside view:
Golf%20Vacation%20033.JPG

The 8th hole Papoose:
Golf%2520Vacation%2520065.JPG

Par threes on this course are beautiful and treacherous. You must land the ball on the green or face a difficult uphill chip or a ball in the water.

Hole 14 Wampum:
Golf%20Vacation%20118.JPG

Bunkers, mounds, tight driving areas and distracting views abound. You get a close up view of the hotel on the next hole.

More distractions:
Golf%20Vacation%20116.JPG

Hole 15 Spray:
Golf%20Vacation%20122.JPG

After a 10 min. drive up the hill you get this. One of the best raised tee boxes I have ever played from.

Golf%20Vacation%20131.JPG

Looking back from the 15th fairway, the tee box is on the left.

Pulled tee shots on 17 end up here:
Golf%20Vacation%20135.JPG

On the 18th tee at last:
Golf%20Vacation%20142.JPG

The hole is names Breezy, and the wind blows around the corner of the mountain. Additional distractions include the road which rund by the rocks on the right side.

It was an amazing place to play for sure. Like I said its difficult not to be distracted.

Bring your camera.

A must play if in banff! Nice review with great pics. Make your way to grey wolf after.

Beautiful course. I like the name of the last hole.

Great pics man, the next time I'm in Banff I will be playing that course. I think the world telus skins game was held there last year.

I know a few people that work, and have worked there. It's a beautiful place and I hope to be able to make it out there someday.

That is such a gorgeous course. I love playing it in video games. I'd really like to play there in real life.

Wow, incredible photos. What is the rating of that course from the white?

Wow this course is beautiful. Thanks for the pictures

Thanks for the pictures, I have played that course many times on video games dating back to Links...a very scenic course that I would love to see in person one day.

There are more in my album. There are also some from Silvertip in there as well. (Silvertip and Kananaskis reviews coming soon)

Beautiful, thanks for the review.

That's a great course and as you say, the views are crazy just like the rest of the park. I've never played a Thompson course I didn't love.

That is such a gorgeous course. I love playing it in video games. I'd really like to play there in real life.

We have a lot of beautiful Mountain courses up here. I'm only an hour away from here you can crash at my place. The wife makes some mean french toast.
Nice photos Froop looks like you enjoyed your golfathon

Wow, incredible photos. What is the rating of that course from the white?

Ratings are:
Mens Ladies
Black 72.9 / 135
White 70.0 / 133 75.9 / 146
Gold 66.0 / 123 71.6 / 137
Red 62 / 103 65.6 / 117

Jaw dropping! Very good, thanks!

You should see it in real life man. Jaw dropping isn't enough to describe it. Every hole points at or is next to or plays over/beside something else as beautiful as these pics. Even the "players assistant" we met on 4 I think was there because she could be. I mean if you could look at that every day....

Watch out for the squirrels, crows and magpies though - if you turn your back on any food it will be gone. One guy was telling us a squirrel got lost in his new Ogio bag and chewed it to bits trying to get out.

Last edited:
Played it many years ago, experienced all four season in one round. It rain, hailed and snowed within 7 holes, the other 12 were sunny! Lost several balls due to the views, I would hit and look up in amazement at the views, had now idea where my ball landed.

Beautiful. There are some awesome pics there. Would love to play that course some day. That building is immaculate.

Played this course about 5 times when I worked at Kananaskis Country Golf Course (also an amazing 36 holes of mountain golf). Best experience was hitting from a bunker while a full grown elk occupied said bunker. Almost aced #2.

Saw the Telus Skins game last year there and had a blast. One of Canadas Premier course/resort. If you liked Banff you have to get to Jasper Park Lodge. Better IMO than Banff, but only by a little.

Those are some gorgeous pics!

I can't wait to get out to that course sometime. Looks great

when are you posting the claresholm one? :alien:

I played there in the late 90's... Still the most memorable course I have ever played. I played it in mid may and it was pretty darn cold and rainy. I still can picture all the goose poop everywhere!

Def. a must play if you are in the area (and have the money).

Played this course about 5 times when I worked at Kananaskis Country Golf Course (also an amazing 36 holes of mountain golf). Best experience was hitting from a bunker while a full grown elk occupied said bunker. Almost aced #2.

Saw the Telus Skins game last year there and had a blast. One of Canadas Premier course/resort. If you liked Banff you have to get to Jasper Park Lodge. Better IMO than Banff, but only by a little.

Played both in the last week and in my opinion (as far as this year goes) the conditioning at Banff is far better this year. The course was immaculate. The greens were how else can you put it perfect. Far more difficult to read than Jasper and a little faster.
DSCN1374.JPG
DSCN1421.JPG

DSCN1439.JPG

I dont think there was a square foot you could call ground under repair....

Back