MGoBlue

2021 Titleist Experience!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

Loved me some John Madden. May he RIP!!

RIP! Legend!

Definitely a distinguishable voice, thought that there had just been a show on his career within a week or so but never caught it. Sad to see when staples of the game and broadcasting vanish.

Boom!

Sad news but heard he was not doing well the last few years

RIP. He was definitely a character.

Hate to hear that. RIP Coach Madden.

Hard to believe that he retired from coaching at age 42. He was a head coach at 32. Most probably remember him as a broadcaster but his Raiders teams played in seven AFC title games.

Man was a heck of a coach, I remember him doing play by play during games and saying some of the most off the wall things that were amazing at the same time.

Damn, I wasn’t ready to lose this icon.

Man was an absolute legend if you didn't catch the special Fox Sports did on his broadcasting career seek it out. It was a good watch. Apparently it's going to re-air in full on FS1 here in about an hour.

RIP John

RIP John Madden, just greatness!

Hard to believe that he retired from coaching at age 42. He was a head coach at 32. Most probably remember him as a broadcaster but his Raiders teams played in seven AFC title games.

As a Steelers fan, I only came to appreciate him later in life. My favorite Madden story is his explanation of why he retired from coaching - at 42.

“I came home from practice one day and my wife said, ‘John, you need to talk with our son. He wants to buy a car.’ I said, ‘What’s he going to do with a car? He’s not old enough to drive.’”

“John, how old do you think your son is?”

“He’s twelve!”

“John, your son is 16.”

And that’s when he knew it was time to quit coaching.

RIP, sir.

You know who's really sad about this

Brett Favre

John *was* football for darn near 40 years. He transcended the sport. He's earned his rest.

Last edited:
I lived in the Bay area and ran into him on occasion in various restaurants. He was always nice to wait staff. The true mark of a gentleman. RIP John, you will be missed.

What a legend! Fun listening to him and he was an awesome coach!

What a legend! Fun listening to him and he was an awesome coach!
He was certainly an entertaining TV analyst. I loved watching him go mad on the telestrator, he'd have that screen so marked up you almost couldn't see the players anymore! :ROFLMAO:

RIP Coach Madden

Man, some of the things that he prattled on about while calling a game... head scratchers... Yogi Berra kind of stuff... made me go cross eyed at times.:ROFLMAO:

He set the standard for calling a game though. Few if any analysts are even close since him. Joe Buck isn't one of them.:ROFLMAO:

RIP John.

He was certainly an entertaining TV analyst. I loved watching him go mad on the telestrator, he'd have that screen so marked up you almost couldn't see the players anymore! :ROFLMAO:

100% and in-between all the scribbles he would be talking in almost incoherently and then BOOM that's how you run a post route

Back