Root For or Against?

I'd be lying if I said I've never had a thought like that in a moment like that.

I think i've changed my mindset a lot with competitive things as I get older. I catch myself a lot more often, and feel more guilt after the fact if something like that does pop up.

That said, If the other guy was a complete Richard all day, you know i'm having that thought, possible outloud, and not feeling too bad about it. :LOL:
You did say THP experience, so that is less likely to happen.

i'm not rooting against anybody. i want to see good golf thrown at me. and i always give props to anyone who hits a good shot, regardless of where we are in the competition. life's too short to be a richard.

I would liken it to our golf league. We play for money and there are skins + a low man pot. I root for every one of my opponents... I just hope I play better (w/ hdcp of course). If someone had a putt to beat me on the last hole I wouldn't root against them...just accept the result.

I'm sorry. I guess I'm in the minority here and hope it doesn't hurt my chances of getting into a THP Experience but if we are even in a match and on the last hole and my opponent has a putt to win the match I am certainly not rooting, internally at least, for him to make it.

I think it's more.
If a guy drains a 40 footer to beat me, I'm happy for him, that was fun to watch.
If a guy misses a 4 footer to win the match, I'll take the W, but don't feel great and certainly not celebrating over it.

I don't root for my opponents to hit bad shots. I feel like that's a bad vibe. There's definitely moments in a match where its easy to recognize that a miss of a putt can be a huge deal, but I don't root for that. I like to see good golf being played.
Pretty much what I was going to say. I like to play good golf against good golf, but there have been times when someone has been hot with a putter where I was hoping they would just miss a freaking putt.

But I think thats more of you rooting for yourself to win and less for that person to lose, no?
Kinda the same thing. I'm rooting internally for him to miss it.

First Goat Cup, singles match. I'm three up with three to play. I miss my birdie put on 16. My opponent has 12 feet or so for his birdie to extend the match. As I go to pick up my ball I walked by my opponent and said "knock it in." Internally I was hoping for the opposite.

For. Not gonna root for fellow THP guys to hit bad shots. I would prefer to beat them with their best game.

I think it's more.
If a guy drains a 40 footer to beat me, I'm happy for him, that was fun to watch.
If a guy misses a 4 footer to win the match, I'll take the W, but don't feel great and certainly not celebrating over it.
I made someone putt out a 3 footer in the Morgan Cup years ago, if I didnt it would have been a loss on the hole for me. He missed it, tied the hole, the match was quite for a few holes.

I'm sorry. I guess I'm in the minority here and hope it doesn't hurt my chances of getting into a THP Experience but if we are even in a match and on the last hole and my opponent has a putt to win the match I am certainly not rooting, internally at least, for him to make it.

I think most people would agree there's nothing wrong with that. I'm guessing on the tee of the 18th hole though you would rather make birdie and win that way , then have him hit in the water.

Once it comes down to 1-putt.....yeah i mean unless it's a tap in and missing it will ruin this guy's life.....you don't really want him to make it.

Pretty much what I was going to say. I like to play good golf against good golf, but there have been times when someone has been hot with a putter where I was hoping they would just miss a freaking putt.

or @Bjornjorg hitting 18/17 greens after missing every fairway. I mean, sheesh dude.

@MWard drains a 20ft putt from the fringe at Cog Hill to tie one of the best matches I've ever been in. I said to myself "you gotta be kidding me" hahaha and then have had a blast for years talking about how fun that match was. Do I wish we won that match? Sure, I hate losing. Didnt want to lose but dont hate him for making it

or @Bjornjorg hitting 18/17 greens after missing every fairway. I mean, sheesh dude.
I dont want to watch someone just fall apart on the course, nor will I ever hope for it. But when someone is on a hot streak, asking for a break is a bit different than praying for failure.

Not rooting for people to hit bad shots. I have played in big tournaments before and things have gone poorly for me and know how bad it made me feel so don't want others to go through the same thing.

I just want to outplay my opponent.

I think it's more.
If a guy makes a 40 footer to beat me-I'm not happy.

If a guy misses a 4 footer to win- I am also not celebrating but happy to win as well.

I made someone putt out a 3 footer in the Morgan Cup years ago, if I didnt it would have been a loss on the hole for me. He missed it, tied the hole, the match was quite for a few holes.

that's such a touchy thing. I'm all for very specific rules for gimmes in friendly THP competition.

I forget who it was but he had a whole putting routine that, I won't lie, was long and frustrating to me. I made him go through the whole routine for a two footer to tie a hole then conceded it before he could putt. then i felt bad, and the golf gods smote me. :LOL: lesson learned

that's such a touchy thing. I'm all for very specific rules for gimmes in friendly THP competition.

I forget who it was but he had a whole putting routine that, I won't lie, was long and frustrating to me. I made him go through the whole routine for a two footer to tie a hole then conceded it before he could putt. then i felt bad, and the golf gods smote me. :LOL: lesson learned
In my defense, it was a trick left to right breaking 3 foot putt, and was not a no-doubter.

I am hoping we both play well and wouldn't really be rooting for them to hit bad shots. I would hope my play would be good enough to win and they make a few more mistakes than me. Definitely would be having some fun banter back and forth hopefully about a close match.

I think it's more.
If anyone drains a 40 foot putt I'm happy for them, but it is also a lot of luck for that one - I doubt they could do it the next shot.

Now people playing good is that I don't want to see them top the ball or just have an off day with the driver or land in every. single. bunker kind of stuff.

I dont want to watch someone just fall apart on the course, nor will I ever hope for it. But when someone is on a hot streak, asking for a break is a bit different than praying for failure.
thats a good way to phrase it.

I never root against someone when golfing. I want to see great golf played, by everyone I'm playing with. I was watching the Dave Portnoy vs Jersey Jerry match a couple weeks ago, and Jersey Jerry was actively rooting for Portnoy's ball to get in a bunker or in the water. Not in a joking manner, like not where Portnoy could hear him. Just wanting someone to get a bad break or be in a bad spot. What an absolute POS human. Irks the **** out of me when people are like that. You have to hope someone does something bad so you can get something good. We'll joke around if someone hits a tremendously bad shot, but my group of friends pretty much always compliments good play and roots for each other to do well. Not with strangers, though, always try to talk to a ball or put a little body english on it to help. You know it never will, but some people might like knowing someone else is rooting for them.

I root for them. I just root for me a little more. :LOL:

Rooting for them. Always.

Back