Root For or Against?

Never root against. Except @e1iterate always hope he loses a ball 😀.

Seriously though no, I hope everyone does well and has the best time they can.

I root for them to play well.
1: karma
2: this is an honestly serious answer: I’d honestly rather lose in a match where we both played well. Winning means 0 to me. But they will look back and love the round they had with me as their opponent.
Had a great time in our match.

I'm sorry. I guess I'm in the minority here and hope it doesn't hurt my chances of getting into a THP Experience but if we are even in a match and on the last hole and my opponent has a putt to win the match I am certainly not rooting, internally at least, for him to make it.
I don't think that's the same thing though. I wouldn't celebrate a fellow THPer putting a tee shot in the drink or OB. I wouldn't root for them to make putts to beat me, but I am not going to fist pump and dance when they miss.

I want to play well enough to win, I don't want to gift wrap it for them.

I root for them to hit good shots. This is a hard game that WE all love.

I would rather get beat by good golf… so I would say root for them to play well and just myself to play better.

Have only had one chance to play singles at a THP event. Match went my way but I was there rooting opponent on even trying to teach him some strategy in match play.

I don't think that's the same thing though. I wouldn't celebrate a fellow THPer putting a tee shot in the drink or OB. I wouldn't root for them to make putts to beat me, but I am not going to fist pump and dance when they miss.

I want to play well enough to win, I don't want to gift wrap it for them.
If someone hit a fist pump on me after putting a tee shot in the water, a club may be thrown.

Had a great time in our match.
As did I. I still talk to everyone about how much fun that day was. We put on an absolute clinic for a little bit there.

I'm cheering for everyone. Even if they're beating me. I may hope someone misses a putt if it means, I could win a hole, but I'm not ever rooting for anyone to end up in bunkers or lose balls or anything like that.

If someone hit a fist pump on me after putting a tee shot in the water, a club may be thrown.
Fist pump my shot in the water, have fun playing your next shot, ya jabroni!

the rock wrestling GIF by WWE

I think people are going a bit over the top with the fist pumps. Sure it has happened, but I think that is rare.
What if you heard something like get in the bunker or something, even if it was faint?

Or better yet, are you thinking or hoping it, with opponents tee shot?

I'd rather have a win when both players are playing well. Bad shot here, bad bouce there but overall playing good vs winning when someone game turned into a dumpster fire.

i never root against an opponent.
If i win, i want to win against their best game and likewise if i get beat... i want their best game to beat me.

I think people are going a bit over the top with the fist pumps. Sure it has happened, but I think that is rare.
What if you heard something like get in the bunker or something, even if it was faint?

Not throwing out a lot of fist bumps. Not verbally rooting against said opponent either. Now if they want to start it I’m game. I’ll talk crap if need be. I prefer matches to be cordial at the least.

I root for them to play well and me to play better.

Fist bumps, or talking out loud, is a non-starter, poor sportsmanship.

I have no problem for someone rooting internally for an opponent not to make a putt. Celebrating if he does is no bueno.

I think most of us have played in a league night or some other competitive environment where a playing competitor was a little to vocal celebrating a poor shot. Maybe not a fist bump, but definitely a "here's my chance!" or something.

I can only speak for myself, but I never hope an opponent hits shot that ends up in trouble, or even a *bad* shot. I know I am not good enough to tailor my strategy based on what my opponent is doing. I just have to go do the best I can. That's what keeps karma happy.

Down by 1, heading to 9th. Your opponent on the tee, you are hoping for a good drive?
Asking genuinely
I’d never let it show, but I’m watching him put a peg in the ground thinking… Hook it into the woods, pick up and shake my hand before I have to take my putter out of my bag.

To go along with not rooting against my opponent, the only fist bumps I will be giving to a playing partner is for something WE did good. If my opponent were to do something amazing like an eagle or a HIO, I am certainly going to be fist bumping them as well!

I've never had anyone do that on the course - like the literal celebration of a bad shot.

I've heard a few "oh that one stings" or "rough break" "going to need a good one to get out of there" sort of stuff, usually not aimed at me, it's that weird passive aggressive kind where you're there. You know they are silently celebrating, most people seem to either try to help you out or be quiet.

I want to reiterate, nobody was speaking to celebrating a bad shot.
It was asking about wishing (vocally or non) upon a bad shot to happen to an opponent.

I’ll be the first to tell an opponent “good shot” or fist bump him if he makes a birdie. Was I rooting for him to do it though? No.

Back