Root For or Against?

I'm hoping they play well but I play just a little bit better.

My hope is that we have a good time, play our game and come out as friends.

Definitely rooting for them as I will never root against anyone. I can only control my game and need to make the shots whether they hit good or bad shots against me.

If you are playing basketball and you are up by 1 and a guy has two foul shots to beat you are you rooting for him to make them?

If you are playing basketball and you are up by 1 and a guy has two foul shots to beat you are you rooting for him to make them?
To me those are different.
In golf you are generally playing against the course.

I hate losing, but I dont hate getting beat. I hope THPers beat me in every single match. It means they played well.
Now if I just stink, thats me losing, not getting beat.

@MWard drains a 20ft putt from the fringe at Cog Hill to tie one of the best matches I've ever been in. I said to myself "you gotta be kidding me" hahaha and then have had a blast for years talking about how fun that match was. Do I wish we won that match? Sure, I hate losing. Didnt want to lose but dont hate him for making it
I did do that didn’t I lol.

Criminals got away with less murders than I did that day. Scumbag like up and downs 😂

I think it depends on where we are in the match. Lol 😂

The better version of me roots for my opponent to play well and for me to play better.

well i guess everyone is alot more friendly than i am. if its any kind of competition with something at stake, then yes i am rooting for my opponent to do bad. I'm not a bad sport and will never verbally or visibly root against my opponent in any sport, but 100% i wish they mess up

Yeah in a THP experience, god i can't even imagine rooting for someone to fail.

I play in am events against people i don't even know and i don't want them to trip over themselves. Who wants to win like that anyway?

I won a match last summer in a quebec am event where i was one up going to 18 which was a par 5, my opponent crushed his drive, hit into a greenside bunker in 2, got out to 7 feet and lipped out his putt. I had layed up off the tee, then again to 120yds, and had a shaky 2-putt from 25 feet to win.

That feels much better than if someone hits it OB and you win that way. You had to make the shots and did.

Who wants to win the other way? Especially in a THP experience
I've had 2 seasons of flighted match play at my men's club, first year was horrific (lost 5&4 both days), second season won my flight and none of those matches were wins that were bigger than 2&1.

I think I put more pressure on myself than actively wanting my opponent to fail.

To me those are different.
In golf you are generally playing against the course.

I hate losing, but I dont hate getting beat. I hope THPers beat me in every single match. It means they played well.
Now if I just stink, thats me losing, not getting beat.
In golf you generally play against the course but the scenario in the first post asks whether you rooting for or against your opponent, shot by shot?

I don't like losing either and I don't like getting beat. If a guy plays really well and beats me then sometimes you just have to tip your cap. Doesn't mean I have to root for him to play well.

At THP event I wouldn’t be rooting against. Might not be rooting them on out load either. Want them to play well. Unless they turn out to be the Richard of the bunch then I’m not promising nothin. At home against a few old buddies this might not all be the case. Then it’s bring on
The trash to get in one guys head.

I don't actually root one way or the other for an opponent. I don't want to see a bad shot from an opponent, but bad shots happen. However I do enjoy seeing great shots from anyone that hits them. I basically just root for myself.

While playing in the Morgan Cup I had my opponent audibly rooting for my ball to "get in" bunkers or water hazards.
Ooof. That's a sad person, right there 👊🏼

I did do that didn’t I lol.

Criminals got away with less murders than I did that day. Scumbag like up and downs 😂
Steve Urkel Oops GIF

I don’t want an opponent to play poorly, but I don’t “root for them” either. I also don’t root against them. I just try to stay within myself and play my game as best I can, shot to shot.

I have a strange answer for this that I developed as this past week went along.

I know that I "need" them to hit a bad shot, but don't "want" them to mess up. I appreciate good golf. Got to see a lot of it directly against me this past week. Always a fist bump afterwards.

I hate to see anyone play poorly, because I have and know how crappy that feels. Really just hope I hit a couple less poor shots than my opponent!

Now if they're a sandbagger, I hope they drown every ball they hit 😂👍🏼

I root for them to play well.
1: karma
2: this is an honestly serious answer: I’d honestly rather lose in a match where we both played well. Winning means 0 to me. But they will look back and love the round they had with me as their opponent.

I made someone putt out a 3 footer in the Morgan Cup years ago, if I didnt it would have been a loss on the hole for me. He missed it, tied the hole, the match was quite for a few holes.
Give them early make them putt them late. It’s just the game. I would expect them to make me do likewise.

I always root for people to play their best. That goes for casual through competitive rounds. If I beat someone head to head, I want it to be because I played well, not because my opponent played poorly.

I will not root against someone.

My ultimate goal is to beat my opponent when we are both playing well. I prefer to have my best beat their best. I have more fun when matches are fairly even. It either forces me to continue to play well/ok or to try and step it up; I like the challenge.

When I played in high school, our coach always said we aren’t playing against the other team, but the golf course. And let’s hope we play against it better than them. I think you can enjoy people hitting good shots without wishing they end up in the trap or ob. While also hoping you hit better shots 😁

rooting against feels gross, light up the forum with great scores is my approach

I would never wish a bad shot on my opponent - exactly the opposite. I want them to hit the best shot they can, each and every time. I expect the same of myself and whoever gets the greater percentage of success may he/she be the winner.

Back