I am positive my router keeps dropping my wifi on the weekends, almost always around 9pm.

This thread is all sorts of handy for someone searching for a replacement.

1 nighthawk downstairs, 1 upstairs and a lesser router for golf sim/man cave/beer refuge room

almost like a blanket to block out all the other stuff eh?

Interesting.
That’s what I’m going for— Wife and grandkids want Disney+ upstairs haha

That’s what I’m going for— Wife and grandkids want Disney+ upstairs haha
haha, we've got it all, man.
Netflix, Hulu live tv, Disney+, Amazon Prime TV, NHL.tv, PGA Tour Live...

We don't really watch upstairs, but I'd love to have a better connection to the basement where I putt and do club work.

I have an Orbi setup. The main router is in my basement and have two satellites throughout. One in the bedroom area and one in the living room.
This it what we roll with. Our smart outlets and streaming has been much more reliable since making the switch.

haha, we've got it all, man.
Netflix, Hulu live tv, Disney+, Amazon Prime TV, NHL.tv, PGA Tour Live...

We don't really watch upstairs, but I'd love to have a better connection to the basement where I putt and do club work.

So what’s stopping you? Haha

We use a Nighthawk AC1750, it's been going for almost 3 years now and still working well.

Wife has one!

What is the price of that thing?

299.00. It will cover 6500sq ft and is insanely easy to setup. I have an older model in my house and I have zero hotspots or slowdowns.

Another vote for Synology Routers. They offer the RT2600ac base router and you can add an MR2200ac unit to make a mesh network. I also have a few powerline ethernet adapters for remote storage and printers that balk at staying connected wirelessly. They work really well for me and there are some circuits in our home that I can't use for powerline ethernet, but if you can, they are easy, fast, and reliable.

I went with Synology because they can be made more secure than any router you can buy from a big box retailer. They also play nice with Synology NAS, should I choose to go that way someday.

Lifewire Secure Routers Article

I admit that since my corporate credit card number was lifted back in the early days of broadband internet, I've been paranoid about online security. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.

299.00. It will cover 6500sq ft and is insanely easy to setup. I have an older model in my house and I have zero hotspots or slowdowns.
wow, that is some SERIOUS square footage.

Question if I may—
The main hub goes to your router, the other two nodes connect at first to the main one then moved throughout the house. Assuming the app helps you with placement for the 2nd two nodes or is it just a guess and check type thing?

There are lots of good mesh options out there compared to just a few years ago. I’ve had great luck with Eero with the satellites wired and the Orbi system with two wireless satellites at our lake place.

The Orbi is on sale at Costco as well.

9CB405AE-6D67-4C36-B4B4-ECEC16928CE6.jpeg67AE5E0C-D0D7-4F70-A652-D14981749200.png

Question if I may—
The main hub goes to your router, the other two nodes connect at first to the main one then moved throughout the house. Assuming the app helps you with placement for the 2nd two nodes or is it just a guess and check type thing?
The Orbi and Eero satellites just connect wirelessly during set up in another room and the app lets you test how strong the connection is. The entire process only takes about 10 minutes if you’ve never done it before.

The Orbi and Eero satellites just connect wirelessly during set up in another room and the app lets you test how strong the connection is. The entire process only takes about 10 minutes if you’ve never done it before.
Thank you!

Literally just got home from BestBuy where I bought a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 for $125. Retail is $190, on sale for $150, but they price matched Amazon at $125.

I wouldn't worry about hard wiring - wifi is getting so fast these days and with mesh networks hard wires aren't necessary. I have google fiber and get about 800 mbps up and a full GIG down. With the google mesh network (3 routers) I cover 4 stories and 6500 square feet.

I have to post this so I can go to sleep with a clear conscience. There are other articles out there as you can well imagine:

Your router's security stinks

It is amazing to me how many of these devices vary in the top ratings charts on Google searches, yet almost every single one of them have little spurts of terrible reviews when you search them out.

Got to assume a bit of that is DFO, but also kind of unnerving.

It is amazing to me how many of these devices vary in the top ratings charts on Google searches, yet almost every single one of them have little spurts of terrible reviews when you search them out.

Got to assume a bit of that is DFO, but also kind of unnerving.

The construction materials used in the home/apartment can wreak havoc on WiFi signals. Our house in California had 2 layers of chicken wire as part of the stucco exterior construction and it required 4 wireless routers(3 Orbis) and made their placement critical. Cell phone calls dropped 100% of the time as soon as I stepped inside that home.

Luckily most of us don't have these troubles and modern mesh router work really well.

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 9.14.36 AM.png

I don’t even know what I have at the house to be honest. It’s whatever the cable company brought out. It seems to suck though and periodically disconnects a few seconds here and there.

I have a general gigabyte netgear router on main floor with a switch hard wired in the basement connected to the router.

I have been highly contemplating a mesh network system like Orbi.

Biggest mistake I made when building my house back in 2001 was not having a hard wired Ethernet system in every room. Wireless is just not the same.

This is why we took advantage of putting the cable in when we had the house re-wired a few years ago

wow, that is some SERIOUS square footage.
I wouldn't worry about hard wiring - wifi is getting so fast these days and with mesh networks hard wires aren't necessary. I have google fiber and get about 800 mbps up and a full GIG down. With the google mesh network (3 routers) I cover 4 stories and 6500 square feet.

The rest of my post is not really necessary now as @tahoebum added what I was going to say - wifi performance can be massively affected by the construction of your property

Back