Nighthawk AC1900. Less than $200. It's been great thus far.

I have an Orbi setup. The main router is in my basement and have two satellites throughout. One in the bedroom area and one in the living room.

Nighthawks are good, Costco had a pretty killer one on sale over the holidays. I use an ASUS at home that I like as well.

wireless I assume? went with a netgear nighthawk a few years ago. it's done well, but regret not going with a mesh system at times.

I need to subscribe to this thing haha, I cannot figure out the best router at all for myself. We just got a nighthawk 1750 (?) for just under $100 on sale, but it was also the older model. When on Auto, it seems to struggle sometimes to pick the right channel. Not sure if we just have a lot of activity in our neighborhood or what.

Nighthawk R7000 $150

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Wifi 6 is just starting to roll out with more and more devices that can use it. Worth considering for a new router. I have used Asus routers for years with Merlin firmware. Haven't compared anything else of late.

I have a small house, and our main TV, and my work PC are both hardwired so I don't see a need to depart from the standard Google Fiber router.

I will likely look into a Nighthawk when I move into a bigger space/have more people using the Wifi

I just use an Asus and have no issues, but I have a small house and all one level.

What do you guys own, and what did you spend?

With all the data we're pushing through the house right now, I think it's time to upgrade.

What exactly are you looking for? Are you trying to improve your wired or wireless speeds?

I have my house completely networked with ports in every room that all come back to a central location that feeds out through our provider router
Wireless access is provided by the router in the living room and a second unit upstairs at the opposite end of the house and devices will seamlessly switch between them as you move about the house, but the second unit is only 10/100 so it is limited in speed and I am looking for a new access point that has 1gig speed network port (I already have the switch to connect it to along with the other devices hard-wired in that particular room)

TP-Link AC1750 Wireless Dual Band router. Had one for a while now and its been faultless, fast and has a very wide signal range. Never had a problem connecting or drop in signal strength or speeds that are noticeable. Set up was simple and it is configurable to add printers or back up drives/servers like I have.

So good in fact I've installed them for my friends and family. A cracking router for the price now, I paid $150 or so, now well below $100.

It may be time I upgrade if I'm honest.

I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 that I've had now for a couple years, works great but was a bit expensive. I think was around $300 when I got it. Currently it's $150 on Best Buy. Dual Band, 5 Ghz options, family protection, etc.

We have a google Mesh network in the home, and I use a ARRIS Modem that was about 150. We stream everything Television wise with no cable. My internet is 400+mbps

For wireless I am looking at the Ubiquiti access points and turning off Wifi on the provider router - not sure if I will need 1 or 2 as I have a central cupboard where the access point can sit and it may cover the entire house, otherwise it will be one at the front of the house and the second at the back of the house like it currently is

Wired - best option is to run network cable to wherever you want network points, and run more than one so that you have a backup in case one goes down in the future
I have a minimum of 2 points at every location and have then just put a switch in to connect all of the devices (eg living room has a switch that the PlayStation, Blu-ray player and amp all connect to, upstairs office has PC, amp and the wireless access point)
However, if running cables isn't an option then Powerline plugs are the next best thing, but I can't help with those as there are so many options and I have heard mixed stories on how effective they are based on the wiring in the property

I have an Asus RT-AC68U + an old Netgear router connected via powerline network adapter, which, works fine for my house. But, if I were buying a new wifi network system today, I would look at getting a mesh wifi system, that supported Wifi 6.

NOTE: Some Asus routers support mesh wifi. I have toyed with the idea of trying it, but, my wifi works good enough.

My Shaw cable modem has 2.4 and 5ghz built in and works great.

I have an Orbi setup. The main router is in my basement and have two satellites throughout. One in the bedroom area and one in the living room.
I need to put a multi unit system in the house, with some many streaming devices I think it's not necessary.

Eero 3 pack($249) at our Minneapolis home that didn't work very well until I wired the two satellites. Wired it works well as the satellites are at the two far ends of the house. My main computer that is wired has internet download speeds of 330 Mbps and the wireless download speeds with my iPad is about 250 Mbps throughout the house.

We have the Orbi wifi system.

I am with Xfinity and use their XFi modem/router and I have three XFi pods throughout the house to extend the signal/range. With three tv's, 3 laptops, one chromebook, 3 iPads and 4iPhones it's worked well for us. We are in a 2400 sq ft 2 story FWIW.

It’s a Netgear something or other. I’m really not a computer guy but it works good.

I've got an Orbi with two satellites as well. It's spectacularly hassle free, and overall I have been very pleased with it. The main unit is set up in my wife's office, and I have a satellite in the master bed, and one in the kitchen. Zero drop off whatsoever in our single story 3200 square foot house.

The only thing I don't like about it is that there is no ability to input USB into the router itself. I have a rather expensive laser printer, which I love, that I want to use on the network, but with the Orbi, I don't have that option.

Back