Ryder Cup - 2016 (Spoilers)

I just have never seen a course like medinah was setup, i just persumed it was to help the likes of phil who are not the straightest off the tee and something similar here, im not complaining captains can setup how they like, just a bit bizarre with pins centre of the green too, you dont see it very often, it caught my attention, dont get paranoid about it please

Not in the least Onfire. As stated, I had heard a lot of that talk on the radio this morning as well. My comments were not necessarily directed at you personally, but your post allowed me to address it. It's all good. We have some waiting to do until the next cup is held, but time will tell.

JM

I guess the ryder cup will now mean something to US players and fans again now? huh, i mean that was the no1 excuse when things we not going well, right? Our guys dont really want to win this one, dont really like playing for their country, not getting paid, format doesnt suit and all the rest of em

Well, unfortunately tears dont lie and there have been tears over the year like it or not and i think this win unleashed a lot of pent up emotion, i dont think US fans can ever say their guys dont want it again, winning or losing. Its all about perspectives, when you are winning you look like you have more passion, more drive, etc, when you are losing things just dont see so rosy, thats the way it is

I don't think US fans would have said that we or our players don't care. Phil Mickelson threw a lot of people under the bus in an effort to show how much he cares, heck we created a task force(!) to help us win.

The different stages of grief have to be experienced. You'll get through it, we did.

Its a sad state for a great weekend of passion from both sides, but man it comes off ugly.

It sure does come off ugly. From both sides

I hate it when losers whine or complain after getting beat. Regardless of sport or scope.

I hate it when losers whine or complain after getting beat. Regardless of sport or scope.
Unless it is ourselves complaining about how much we suck at this game :)

More tissues!!

Well my earlier post about the Ryder Cup getting old was complete and utter BS. This was some pretty awesome golf and it even kept the non-golfers in the family entertained. The golf coming from Reed, McIlroy, Mickelson and Garcia was insane. I've never seen Phil putt so well. Normally I despise antics on the golf course but McIlroy and Reed had me laughing with their histrionics, especially the finger wag.

On to the golf so, just an observation, i remember DLIII back in 2012 totally eliminated the rough from the medinha course for the ryder cup, i mean totally, it was bizarre and he did something similiar (not so extreme) to hazeltine, basically no rough at all to talk off plus the pin placements on final day, pretty much centre of the green, thats a bit bizarre to me, whats he afraid of?

Uh, the captains don't set the pin locations, a committee with both sides represented does. So.......

Well my earlier post about the Ryder Cup getting old was complete and utter BS. This was some pretty awesome golf and it even kept the non-golfers in the family entertained. The golf coming from Reed, McIlroy, Mickelson and Garcia was insane. I've never seen Phil putt so well. Normally I despise antics on the golf course but McIlroy and Reed had me laughing with their histrionics, especially the finger wag.

It's funny, I thought Phil started his week putting like crap too. Boy did he turn that around quickly.

thoughts after attending:

Amazing atmosphere, the energy, patriotism, roars, 1st tee, Goose bumps, chills, etc.
Too many people with only 4 matches going on, 6-8 deep every where, we ended up going to 16 green & waiting an hour for players to come through
Not enough Food Spots & bathrooms, led to 30 minute waits at both, even longer in between sessions.
The Merch tent was unbelievable & was set up very well, lines for check out although long, kept moving quickly.

I am 100% glad i went, it's an amazing event but we found ourselves heading back to the hotel Fri/Sat to watch the finish at the sports bar, could not go Sunday due to flights, but watching in the sports bar prior to leaving w/ 60 other people was fun

Uh, the captains don't set the pin locations, a committee with both sides represented does. So.......
Yep..They were talking about this on the radio this afternoon. The captain has no input on the course starting two weeks before the Cup. The Ryder Cup committee, is in charge of the set up, including pin placements from there.

They also talked about how Gleneagles, and Celtic Manor were set up to fairly easy, as the home team captain wants birdies to fire up the home crowd. They joked that US is finally catching on to this set up idea

I didn't get to watch much of the Ryder Cup because I was out playing. It sounded like fun between Rory/Reed & Sergio/Phil. Congrats to the U.S.A. for putting a drubbing on the Euros! I'm loving the post match whining going on. Ya know, a task force might get them a win in 2018.

I didn't get to watch much of the Ryder Cup .........
Ya know, a task force might get them a win in 2018.

I guess you've not watched much of the Ryder Cups from the last 20 years either LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess you've not watched much of the Ryder Cups from the last 20 years either LOL.

No I haven't. I just picked the game up full time 2 years ago. I see it was the largest margin since 1981. That is a drubbing no matter what colors you are wearing.

No I haven't. I just picked the game up full time 2 years ago. I see it was the largest margin since 1981. That is a drubbing no matter what colors you are wearing.

giphy%201_zpsxnwug6zy.gif

I see it was the largest margin since 1981.

You probably need to recheck past results if you think that's the case ; )

You probably need to recheck past results if you think that's the case ; )

I left out "our" but a win is a win and that is all that matters. Better luck next time when they put the pins in places where only Immortals can reach.

This is probably my favorite thing I've read about the Ryder Cup:

Lee Westwood was asked if the American fans crossed a line into bad sportsmanship.

“I got called a turd yesterday,” Westwood said, “which is the first time since I was about 12 years old, so it made me feel young again.”

My wife thinks watching golf is as exciting as watching paint dry...

With that said, she enjoyed this incredibly and asked why the crowds didn't always show this much enthusiasm and why the players always seem so boring. I even heard her laugh at Rory when he missed putts.

thoughts after attending:

Amazing atmosphere, the energy, patriotism, roars, 1st tee, Goose bumps, chills, etc.
Too many people with only 4 matches going on, 6-8 deep every where, we ended up going to 16 green & waiting an hour for players to come through
Not enough Food Spots & bathrooms, led to 30 minute waits at both, even longer in between sessions.
The Merch tent was unbelievable & was set up very well, lines for check out although long, kept moving quickly.

I am 100% glad i went, it's an amazing event but we found ourselves heading back to the hotel Fri/Sat to watch the finish at the sports bar, could not go Sunday due to flights, but watching in the sports bar prior to leaving w/ 60 other people was fun

Looked like a blast! I'm going to have to try to make the next one.

I left out "our" but a win is a win and that is all that matters. Better luck next time when they put the pins in places where only Immortals can reach.

2006 Held at the K Club in Ireland - Europe 18.5 - 9.5 USA
Or go back another 2 years to 2004 when it was held at Oakland Hills and it was the same result

When the USA can win consecutive events on a regular basis I will possibly start to worry about the state of European golf :D

It sure does come off ugly. From both sides

I applaud you sir, there have been a lot of emotional posts thrown about in this thread, but your post sums it up for me Kevin
Yes, it hurts for me to see the European team lose, but deep down I expected it to happen when I saw the teams so I am realistic about the result, congratulate the USA team and look forward to the next event when, if history is anything to go by, the European team will go on another 3 match winning streak

Unfortunately there were those who crossed the line between banter and abuse to the players, and I think on both sides of the water people have conveniently ignored some of the things that happened, but in the cold light of day I do feel that some people will regret things that they have said or done over the last few days

At the end of the day, we are all golfers and we should be able to put aside any cultural / religious / political views and share a round of golf

Despite the past few days, I would still be happy to tee it up with you guys and hope one day we could make that happen

Ryder Cup - 2016 (Spoilers)

Looked like a blast! I'm going to have to try to make the next one.

If you have even the remotest chance of attending the Ryder Cup and don't take it, then you are mad! I've attended some pretty amazing sporting events in my life. None compare to the atmosphere on the 1st tee grandstand at Celtic Manor. Electric doesn't even come close!

Congrats to US. Fantastic to watch. Reed is your hero. Phil and Sergio was epic. Very happy with Pieters. Hope he will progress and be there in France 2018. Westwood is done. He was picked by his buddy. That backfired a lot.

Pieters is the real deal. Wife and I will be making the trip over to Paris in 2018- can't wait.

I understand your point but I think he is really coming into his own. Time will tell!!

I agree- I think this is a springboard event for him into 2017

Back