Ryder Cup Golf Ball Strike

I know this is a crazy idea, but I think it would be smart for a tournament to declare the galleries as out of bounce. Really force the players to be smart off the tee.
Awful idea in my mind. I'm not a fan of drastically changing the way the course plays. I'd be more in favor of just not allowing fans in landing zones. Of course my best case scenario is leave it alone and if you aren't paying attention when in a dangerous area that is on you.

If you're dumb enough to stand where a tee shot is going to land, gallery beware. NO liability to golfer or golf course.
It's always someone else fault in this pathetic country.
When I was 13 y/o, I stupidly interrupted Arnold Palmer's backswing on the range, by walking too close. He said, "Young man, when you're on a golf course, always Pay Attention to what's going on". I was mortified!

This didn't happen in this country nor is the person injured from this country.

Awful idea in my mind. I'm not a fan of drastically changing the way the course plays. I'd be more in favor of just not allowing fans in landing zones. Of course my best case scenario is leave it alone and if you aren't paying attention when in a dangerous area that is on you.

If spectators are not permitted on most of the golf course, and "landing zones" would be that, then pro golf will have a drastic change. For example the Masters with no crowds, no energy, no cheers etc... would be a dud.Issuing safety helmets to spectators is one option,but I doubt that idea would be well received.

It's unfortunate that she was injured. I need to go back and look at old tickets, but I remember some fine print about errant golfs balls from players and some legalese on how the tournament nor the players can be held liable. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

If spectators are not permitted on most of the golf course, and "landing zones" would be that, then pro golf will have a drastic change. For example the Masters with no crowds, no energy, no cheers etc... would be a dud.Issuing safety helmets to spectators is one option,but I doubt that idea would be well received.
I don't disagree, having fans that far removed from greens will be a big change, but still better than saying that a ball hit just over the green is now OB.

Like I said, leave it how it is.

Waivers are pretty standard fare these days, and most are upheld as valid (to varying degrees, based on the state). If this were in the US, I would expect her to lose in a suit like this. The event would probably settle anyway, to avoid negative press, etc.

But since this is French/EU law, who knows what could happen. That legal system is all messed up.

My thoughts nearly word for word. Glad someone else posted it because it would've been spun if I'd posted it.

Thanks, @campilobaxter.

At Pebble Beach each year Jordan Spieth's amateur partner (country singer Jake Owen) tries to drive the short par 4 third green. When he misses left the ball carries into a bottleneck of people (3rd-green-4th tee box-17th tee box- and 16 green are all close together).
I have written the AT&T tournament committee to advise the idiot Jake Owen to stop endangering people, but never received a reply.

If the area is in play, then maybe the fix it to stop people from standing there, declare it OB, or maybe just sound an alarm (sort of like a tornado warning) when Jake is on the tee to let them know there's likely to be an incoming golf ball. I'm not sure that telling one player not to hit to a part of the course that's in play is the answer.

I know this is a crazy idea, but I think it would be smart for a tournament to declare the galleries as out of bounce. Really force the players to be smart off the tee.

Bad idea. So the O/B area is going to be bigger for certain players and during certain times of the day?

Bad idea. So the O/B area is going to be bigger for certain players and during certain times of the day?
No. Permitted gallery areas, as designated by the tournament committee will be treated as out of bounds and any ball resting in that area will be treated as lost. That's how we take bomb and gouge out of the American golf game.

Last edited:
Well that’s a crappy way to lose your eye. I still wonder why people flock to a ball someone has hit 30 yards offline. No way I’m standing that close to someone who just hit it that wayward. Actually, I don’t even stand in front (face to face) of golfers when they are teeing off, unless I’m behind the ball so they can’t shank it there, or at least 50 yards ahead so I can see the ball coming.

A golf ball going 130mph travels 63.56 yards in 1 second. That's indicative of many amateurs out there. Throw in the pro's ball speeds of 160ish MPH to the low 180's MPH and it gets really real @ 78-90 yards in 1 second. There ain't no way you're seeing and reacting to that if it's coming at your head. Good luck with that.

A golf ball going 130mph travels 63.56 yards in 1 second. That's indicative of many amateurs out there. Throw in the pro's ball speeds of 160ish MPH to the low 180's MPH and it gets really real @ 78-90 yards in 1 second. There ain't no way you're seeing and reacting to that if it's coming at your head. Good luck with that.

Yep. Exactly. Maybe it’s 50 yards give or take 100. (Give I guess)

If the area is in play, then maybe the fix it to stop people from standing there, declare it OB, or maybe just sound an alarm (sort of like a tornado warning) when Jake is on the tee to let them know there's likely to be an incoming golf ball. I'm not sure that telling one player not to hit to a part of the course that's in play is the answer.

Pebble's short third hole is a sharp dog leg left par 4. At the AT&T amateurs play with their pro partner Thursday-Friday-Saturday, and if they make the cut as a two man team, Sunday as well.
The tee boxes set up for the amateurs are well ahead of the Tour pro tee boxes. The problem is that Jake Owen is an idiot who fancies himself a great player and he disregards the safety of hundreds of people just so he might be able to drive a green (from the front tee boxes). Actually, since he is a pro Spieth should be smart enough (or classy enough) to tell Jake Owen to play the tee shot towards the fairway (instead of risking killing someone), but they've played as partners several years in a row now and Owen still pulls the same stunt every year.
Where Owen's tee shot lands is the biggest bottle neck of people on the golf course; the small 50 square yard area includes 2 tee boxes and 2 greens, plus some concession stands.

Maybe Brooks Koepka will step up & pay for her medical bills?

See ... problem solved with no lawyers involved. :act-up:

No. Permitted gallery areas, as designated by the tournament committee will be treated as out of bounds and any ball resting in that area will be treated as lost. That's how we take bomb and gouge out of the American golf game.

So, you're just not going to allow patrons outside of those areas? This still wouldn't alleviate the issue of galleries being hit. I guess it'd lower the chances, but likely only if you drastically reduce the available area.

Pebble's short third hole is a sharp dog leg left par 4. At the AT&T amateurs play with their pro partner Thursday-Friday-Saturday, and if they make the cut as a two man team, Sunday as well.
The tee boxes set up for the amateurs are well ahead of the Tour pro tee boxes. The problem is that Jake Owen is an idiot who fancies himself a great player and he disregards the safety of hundreds of people just so he might be able to drive a green (from the front tee boxes). Actually, since he is a pro Spieth should be smart enough (or classy enough) to tell Jake Owen to play the tee shot towards the fairway (instead of risking killing someone), but they've played as partners several years in a row now and Owen still pulls the same stunt every year.
Where Owen's tee shot lands is the biggest bottle neck of people on the golf course; the small 50 square yard area includes 2 tee boxes and 2 greens, plus some concession stands.

I understand the layout. I looked it up last time you addressed it on the forum. What I don't understand is what you suggest be done to alleviate the situation. Even if you declare the area O/B, there's still nothing to stop him from trying to carry it. He still probably would hit the shot unless they were in contention. I'm not sure telling him he can't hit that direction is the way to go. I mean, has the Tour ever singled anyone else out and directed them NOT to hit a certain direction (especially toward a part of the course that's in play)?

So, you're just not going to allow patrons outside of those areas? This still wouldn't alleviate the issue of galleries being hit. I guess it'd lower the chances, but likely only if you drastically reduce the available area.
It was a hair brain idea. I haven't fleshed it out yet. Galleries stay in gallery areas and golf balls stay out of galleries.

It was a hair brain idea. I haven't fleshed it out yet. Galleries stay in gallery areas and golf balls stay out of galleries.

LOL... "golf balls stay out of galleries". Nice. Let me know when you figure that part out...

I understand the layout. I looked it up last time you addressed it on the forum. What I don't understand is what you suggest be done to alleviate the situation. Even if you declare the area O/B, there's still nothing to stop him from trying to carry it. He still probably would hit the shot unless they were in contention. I'm not sure telling him he can't hit that direction is the way to go. I mean, has the Tour ever singled anyone else out and directed them NOT to hit a certain direction (especially toward a part of the course that's in play)?

The best solution is to no longer invite Jake Owen to play in the tournament. Really he should have been removed from the golf course years ago, the first time he pulled that stunt. He may be a personal friend of Spieth's , though, in which case kicking Owen out would probably mean Spieth no longer plays that event.
Another option is to have the head of the Tournament Committee, or someone from the PGA Tour staff, to ask Owen to play a regular tee shot towards the middle of the fairway.
A third choice would be to move the amateur tee box on hole 3 back to where the Tour pros play from, so that Owen no longer has the option of trying to drive the green.

A) someone is really hard up on Jake Owen

B) who cares about Jake Owen in a Ryder Cup thread.

The best solution is to no longer invite Jake Owen to play in the tournament. Really he should have been removed from the golf course years ago, the first time he pulled that stunt. He may be a personal friend of Spieth's , though, in which case kicking Owen out would probably mean Spieth no longer plays that event.

By "stunt", you're referring to his dastardly act of playing a golf shot toward his intended target?

Another option is to have the head of the Tournament Committee, or someone from the PGA Tour staff, to ask Owen to play a regular tee shot towards the middle of the fairway.

Sure, be he could simply explain that he felt his best option to score well on the hole meant playing his tee shot in that direction.

A third choice would be to move the amateur tee box on hole 3 back to where the Tour pros play from, so that Owen no longer has the option of trying to drive the green.

That could work, but he could still hit it the same direction. I'm not sure how much further back it is or if that would make his drive end up in a much worse position, but it could work.

A) someone is really hard up on Jake Owen

B) who cares about Jake Owen in a Ryder Cup thread.

This thread is about golf balls endangering spectators, including the lady who lost her eye.
Jake Owen does it every year. You may not care about that but my son and I attend the tournament and do care. It's easy to make flip comments like you've done, until someone gets hurt or killed.

This thread is about golf balls endangering spectators, including the lady who lost her eye.
Jake Owen does it every year. You may not care about that but my son and I attend the tournament and do care. It's easy to make flip comments like you've done, until someone gets hurt or killed.

What I’m reading is that you’re very very very very very very upset that a PLAYER/PARTICIPANT/AMATEUR, in a pro am is playing aggressive golf and trying to execute a shot down his intended line.

Someone has been hurt and lost their sight, I think it’s an unfortunate/tragic event that occurred at a sporting event.

Many people have been hit and injured by errant golf shots - it’s imperative that both the players/caddies/marshalls/staff alert people to wayward shots.

It’s also imperative for YOU/THEM/US as spectators to be paying attention to said sporting event where little white (yellow) balls are flying around at over 150mph.

Even with vigilance mistakes/accidents will occur.

Part of the draw of said event is the proximity that the fans are afforded to players and yes, CELEBRITIES in Pro-Ams.

The PGA Tour raised (from PGA Tour.com) $180 million last year for charity if you take away the proximity of players to fans or stop doing Pro Ams how much of hit does that $180 million take and how much do those charities suffer?

#JakeOwenMatters

Back