Ryder Cup Golf Ball Strike

You were the one I was referring to with option A :alien:

Well, that got personal :(

Hopefully things won’t need to get drawn out in court, and this can be resolved quickly without needing lawyers dragging this silliness out.

What I’m reading is that you’re very very very very very very upset that a PLAYER/PARTICIPANT/AMATEUR, in a pro am is playing aggressive golf and trying to execute a shot down his intended line.

Someone has been hurt and lost their sight, I think it’s an unfortunate/tragic event that occurred at a sporting event.

Many people have been hit and injured by errant golf shots - it’s imperative that both the players/caddies/marshalls/staff alert people to wayward shots.

It’s also imperative for YOU/THEM/US as spectators to be paying attention to said sporting event where little white (yellow) balls are flying around at over 150mph.

Even with vigilance mistakes/accidents will occur.

Part of the draw of said event is the proximity that the fans are afforded to players and yes, CELEBRITIES in Pro-Ams.

The PGA Tour raised (from PGA Tour.com) $180 million last year for charity if you take away the proximity of players to fans or stop doing Pro Ams how much of hit does that $180 million take and how much do those charities suffer?

This is a case of Jake Owen being an idiot, period.
From where his ball lands no one can see the 3rd tee box. He has absolutely no business or reason to be aiming well left of the 3rd fairway, playing over a stand of trees, trying to cut the corner of a dogleg, at the end of which are hundreds of unsuspecting spectators, plus about a dozen players and their caddies.
The At&T can either do something about this fool before the tournament starts again, or wait for him to hurt or kill someone and then deal with it.
This is not about charities, pro ams , spectator awareness, or anything accidental. It is about Jake Owen being an idiot by intentionally aiming his tee shot at a mass of people.

It's a life-altering injury and she's undoubtedly incurred expensive medical bills, so I can't blame her for meeting with lawyers to determine what legal remedies if any she's entitled to. The tournament organizers are certainly not going to assess their own liability and volunteer payment.

What do you guys think the odds are of Owens getting a hole in one on that hole next year?

From where his ball lands no one can see the 3rd tee box. He has absolutely no business or reason to be aiming well left of the 3rd fairway, playing over a stand of trees, trying to cut the corner of a dogleg, at the end of which are hundreds of unsuspecting spectators, plus about a dozen players and their caddies.
The At&T can either do something about this fool before the tournament starts again, or wait for him to hurt or kill someone and then deal with it.
This is not about charities, pro ams , spectator awareness, or anything accidental. It is about Jake Owen being an idiot by intentionally aiming his tee shot at a mass of people.

a9ee57a2d0b9bb5003e2263259adc3c4.jpg

6f4a3b8c399078d5dbb048989f9c703e.jpg

Looks like Jake just wants to not hit a mid iron off the tee? Cause that next shot isn’t any easier. I bet he drives the green in 2019.

Waivers are pretty standard fare these days, and most are upheld as valid (to varying degrees, based on the state). If this were in the US, I would expect her to lose in a suit like this. The event would probably settle anyway, to avoid negative press, etc.

But since this is French/EU law, who knows what could happen. That legal system is all messed up.

yeah, what do you know?! it's not like YOU'RE an attorney or anything.

...oh wait... :)

I do know the Redsox have settled Quietly with a few people of the last few years.
There is always some lawyer who will sue.

I hate seeing people at baseball games on their phones and not paying attention.

Looks like Jake just wants to not hit a mid iron off the tee? Cause that next shot isn’t any easier. I bet he drives the green in 2019.
I already thought his point was a bit silly, now I think it's ludicrous. I would probably go over those trees as well if I thought I had the height. I wouldn't make the green but it seems like the obvious line.

In this case I wonder if the only way she can get the insurance companies involved to pay for her bills is to sue? Wasn’t there a similar case where a lady was forced to sue her nephew so his home owners insurance would pay for a slip and fall injury she incurred at his house?

I am sorry she was hit, but I don't see any liability of the organizers or the golfer. I am really surprised someone hasn't already been killed from an errant shot as close as those idiots stand when they are trying to hit from the rough.

I'm no law expert but how can the organizers be held liable for this?

I already thought his point was a bit silly, now I think it's ludicrous. I would probably go over those trees as well if I thought I had the height. I wouldn't make the green but it seems like the obvious line.

not to mention that jake is a really good player. he played junior golf with aspirations to go pro before he hurt himself wakeboarding and decided to focus on music.

In this case I wonder if the only way she can get the insurance companies involved to pay for her bills is to sue? Wasn’t there a similar case where a lady was forced to sue her nephew so his home owners insurance would pay for a slip and fall injury she incurred at his house?

This has some merit. Some policies provide coverage only for judgments or settlements arising from lawsuits. Also it is generally a bad idea to settle a dispute without the carrier's consent and then submit the tab for coverage. Her lawyers have likely already asked the organizers for their insurance information.

FWIW I am a commercial litigation associate with a focus in insurance disputes.

Last edited:
I really think players should be made to shout when the ball is heading towards spectators. It’s alright saying she should have been aware, but when the crowds are that large, it’s often near impossible to follow the ball when you’re down the fairway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really think players should be made to shout when the ball is heading towards spectators. It’s alright saying she should have been aware, but when the crowds are that large, it’s often near impossible to follow the ball when you’re down the fairway.

I didn't see this specific shot, but for the most part, when a tee shot went real sideways the guys on the tee were all yelling fore. The tough part though, is I don't know if it's quiet enough down the fairway (especially at that event) for people to hear.

Maybe the guys waving the paddles on the tee need a signal for "this is coming straight at the crowd" or something that can be relayed by the folks down the fairway.

I don't think there is any liability for Brooks or the PGA or European Tour. Unless he hit it there intentionally, errant shots are to be expected on a golf course. Sad that this happened to her but I, too, believe by buying a ticket and being at the event one has waived any right to damages for injuries.

My local paper says that the Euro tour organizers said they will support the fan for as long as necessary. I am glad they proactively have taken this position.

I didn't see this specific shot, but for the most part, when a tee shot went real sideways the guys on the tee were all yelling fore. The tough part though, is I don't know if it's quiet enough down the fairway (especially at that event) for people to hear.

Maybe the guys waving the paddles on the tee need a signal for "this is coming straight at the crowd" or something that can be relayed by the folks down the fairway.

Yeah, I saw on twitter after that people in the crowd were tweeting that both the Americans and Europeans were signaling. Unfortunately, as Thomas Björn said, freak accident. Nasty for her, feel bad for Koepka too.

I'd be going over those trees to land in front of the bunkers at 230 ish.

I'd guess he's aiming it at the green... over a mass of people and I'd agree with hose above that it makes sense to do so.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah I am pulling driver all day. My home course has a dogleg where I have to hit it over golfers heads on another green and I try to hit when nobody is on the green but I am not going to lay up just because.

A golf ball going 130mph travels 63.56 yards in 1 second. That's indicative of many amateurs out there. Throw in the pro's ball speeds of 160ish MPH to the low 180's MPH and it gets really real @ 78-90 yards in 1 second. There ain't no way you're seeing and reacting to that if it's coming at your head. Good luck with that.

Golf balls slow down rather quickly off the clubface and are traveling about 45 mph when they land, half the speed of a fast ball in MLB.

I've avoided several golf balls that were coming at me on the course, some of them hit from only 50 yards away. It's an unfortunate freak accident, like many have already said.

Golf balls slow down rather quickly off the clubface and are traveling about 45 mph when they land, half the speed of a fast ball in MLB.

I've avoided several golf balls that were coming at me on the course, some of them hit from only 50 yards away. It's an unfortunate freak accident, like many have already said.

Yeah, this is the one part I didn't know how to look up. I can calculate the (~) speed off the face, but knowing how fast it slows down is another story. Assuming it's a linear slowdown, I guess a 130mph (off the face) ball would still be going ~115mph at 50 yards so it wouldn't throw off the numbers too greatly. While I can imagine you might be able to dodge one 250 yards out or more (assuming you could spot it while it was incoming), I stand by the idea that it'd be next to impossible to dodge one from 50 yards.

Yeah, this is the one part I didn't know how to look up. I can calculate the (~) speed off the face, but knowing how fast it slows down is another story. Assuming it's a linear slowdown, I guess a 130mph (off the face) ball would still be going ~115mph at 50 yards so it wouldn't throw off the numbers too greatly. While I can imagine you might be able to dodge one 250 yards out or more (assuming you could spot it while it was incoming), I stand by the idea that it'd be next to impossible to dodge one from 50 yards.

I've twice tried to dodge a golf ball hit from 50 yards but both were hit off of long irons by recreational golfers so the ball speed was likely only 100 mph off the face and a lot less when it reached me. I'm batting .500 and hope to have no more at bats!

Hope the tour doesn’t turn a blind eye to all this.

Back