Scoring Average - Par 5's

Indeed Yoccos. If you're playing a par 5 and hit a poor tee shot, a regular lay-up should/could put you in a position to play the remainder of the hole as a short par 3. Same thing if you hit a poor second shot. If you do the same two errors on a par 4, you'll be in a lot more trouble. A poor drive might force you to play the remainder as a 250+ yard par 3, which is never a fun thing.

Fantastic point on the bolded!!!! Its scary to think sometimes how often I'll put up a double or worse on a par 4 I shouldve just hit hybrid off the tee.

Fantastic point on the bolded!!!! Its scary to think sometimes how often I'll put up a double or worse on a par 4 I shouldve just hit hybrid off the tee.

People ask me fairly often why I don't pull driver off a tee and I will tell them that I will get just as close from 140 as I will from 80 yards. This may be a reflection on how bad I am with a long wedge in my hand, but I know my strengths and I am much more likely to find a FW with a wood or 3 iron.

People ask me fairly often why I don't pull driver off a tee and I will tell them that I will get just as close from 140 as I will from 80 yards. This may be a reflection on how bad I am with a long wedge in my hand, but I know my strengths and I am much more likely to find a FW with a wood or 3 iron.

Clearly "how bad I am" is a relative term, seeing as you are a 2 and I'm a 22. However, I admit I'm almost as good hitting a green with my 3W as I am with my 7I.

Nonetheless, the fact that your driver stays in the bag more often than mine probably has some affect on the 20 stroke difference (and the fact your 3I probably outdistances my 1W).

Clearly "how bad I am" is a relative term, seeing as you are a 2 and I'm a 22. However, I admit I'm almost as good hitting a green with my 3W as I am with my 7I.

haha. That is my TMex handicap. I am really a 14.1 right now. The TMex handicap takes a lot of things in consideration and golfing prowess is only one of them (I think).

haha. That is my TMex handicap. I am really a 14.1 right now. The TMex handicap takes a lot of things in consideration and golfing prowess is only one of them (I think).

Oops! Busted as a short timer! (<<< 1000 posts).

I don't keep statistics to this fine a level on my play but I know that the number of bogeys or others I make on par 5s in an average round is fewer than the number of pars and birdies over the course of a summer so I would guess I am right around 5 or maybe just barely under par.

Oops! Busted as a short timer! (<<< 1000 posts).

no worries bro. There are so many inside things around here, I don't even know them all. Nobody looks down on people that don't know them. It is fun to learn them though.

I don't have anything to keep stats for me, but I would assume I'd be right around 5 or a little more. I've been striking the ball better lately and have seen my scores start to drop a little, so I would think it would be trending lower, but I have no proof to back that up.

Im not happy about it, but oobgolf has me at 8 :sad:

helpful insight guys, thanks!

Indeed Yoccos. If you're playing a par 5 and hit a poor tee shot, a regular lay-up should/could put you in a position to play the remainder of the hole as a short par 3. Same thing if you hit a poor second shot. If you do the same two errors on a par 4, you'll be in a lot more trouble. A poor drive might force you to play the remainder as a 250+ yard par 3, which is never a fun thing.

Agreed with the Pete! Most of the Par 5's I play when I go mid tee are less than 500 yards and usually thats a green light for me to be on the green in two or just around it. My chips put me position to birdie usually, even though I rarely do lol. Just more chances to right a wrong like Pete said.

For all rounds that I have played and tracked on Oob for the last 3 years I am at 5.79 on par 5's and my GIR is 39.4%.

For my latest rounds since December I am at 5.52 according to my SG Mobile statistics and my GIR is 43.5%.

Today, I went for both par 5's. I was 2 under. ummm, I think I will continue this

I have my last 5 round scorecards here:

1 - EAGLE
4 - BIRDIES
9 - PARS
4 - BOGEYS
2 - DOUBLES

Quick math... Just barely over 5

If I have this figured up right, I am 6.32 since I began tracking my scores, stats and handicap late last year. Golf Logix didn't give me an actual break down, but I have played the Par 5's here in town, 20 times, which Par would be a score of 100. I am at 132 in my scores. So if my math is right, that figures out to 6.32. I have a scorecard I haven't entered yet, in which I parred both the Par 5's, but I am still going to be right around that 6 number.

What are you guys using to get those detailed stats? I use the golflogix app but it only tells you what you are in relation to par. +2 in 9 rounds this year.

What are you guys using to get those detailed stats? I use the golflogix app but it only tells you what you are in relation to par. +2 in 9 rounds this year.

I am using the same thing, but I had to resort to math. BOOOOOOOOOO!

6.9, but I am getting better. Seeing that number hurts though.

I wish I had the exact number, but unfortunately the Callaway Uexplore website just continues to say "coming soon!" in the statistics section.

I would guess I am a shade under par, so about 4.9 or so. I mostly par them, birdie about as often as I bogie them and card an eagle every now and then.

I am using the same thing, but I had to resort to math. BOOOOOOOOOO!

Not bad to figure out right now for this year, but ask again in September and...

OOB Golf for me....

I used to use Oob Golf because it is free but I got a Sky Caddie for Christmas so using SG Mobile now.

This season I am at 5.7 so far (was at 5.4 last season). I had a quadruple bogey 2 weeks ago on a par 5 after I hit my drive OOB and then hooked my fourth shot into the water in a "prove to yourself you can do it moment".

Golf shot has me at 5.4 for my last 20 rounds.

6.0 last year, 5.9 so far this year. I am averaging only 12.5% GIR on par 5's this year.

just checked oob and it shows me with a 6.6 average, ouch. guess thats just one more thing to work on this year

Back