Scotland or Ireland

You have a chance to go with your buds on a special golf trip to either Scotland or Ireland?

• Scotland

Votes: 52 64.2%
  • Ireland

Votes: 29 35.8%

• Total voters
Your bud has invited you to go on a week trip to Scotland or Ireland. Where would you prefer to go?
I have been to Scotland, it was amazing. Played five rounds and then went to the Open at Carnoustie on Saturday and Sunday. I would not hesitate to go again.

I have planned an Ireland buddies trip, but Covid got in the way.

There is one big difference.

The concentration of courses and great nice fun courses in Scotland is much higher. By that I mean you could stay in Inverness and play, Royal Dornoch, Castle Stuart, Nairn, Cullen, Cruden Bay, Brora and never change hotels. Same thing in St. Andrews with Old, New, Jubilee, Carnoustie, Kingsbarns, Crail, North Berwick, Elie.

In Ireland this is less of an option. The courses there are no less awesome, but they are much father apart.

I have been to Scotland, it was amazing. Played five rounds and then went to the Open at Carnoustie on Saturday and Sunday. I would not hesitate to go again.

I have planned an Ireland buddies trip, but Covid got in the way.

There is one big difference.

The concentration of courses and great nice fun courses in Scotland is much higher. By that I mean you could stay in Inverness and play, Royal Dornoch, Castle Stuart, Nairn, Cullen, Cruden Bay, Brora and never change hotels. Same thing in St. Andrews with Old, New, Jubilee, Carnoustie, Kingsbarns, Crail, North Berwick, Elie.

In Ireland this is less of an option. The courses there are no less awesome, but they are much father apart.
Good points. Agree Scotland you can stay put while Ireland if you desire the better courses moving around is required.

I would say Scotland and the wife would say Ireland (due to her roots) so you know where we would end up.

I would say Scotland and the wife would say Ireland (due to her roots) so you know where we would end up.
Yea, Wales....Ha

Got on The Old Course via Ballot a few years back. You apply 2 or 3 days ahead and get your decision the evening of two days before you play so you have time to adjust your schedule and get to the course. Ballot every day and you are highly likely to get a tee time. Best of luck!

Well I had 16 rounds set up for Scotland.....A veritable who's who of great tracks....But Scotland/UK can't seem to figure their ass from their elbow. It's pretty simple. The US Admin could care less about this situation. Ya gotta play nice in the sand box with them.....So I figured WTF.....Set up a trip to Ireland as those people have a green light for travel....So going there instead. Another postponement of the Scottish which was put together 28 months ago............................

On COVID, Scotland are making their own decisions so they can show how successful they would be if independent. They are taking a very inefficient and head strong approach. They have banned English from gong there so you had no chance. If you read the link you will understand why Scotland is part of UK, we bought it.

Darien scheme - Wikipedia

Well I had 16 rounds set up for Scotland.....A veritable who's who of great tracks....But Scotland/UK can't seem to figure their ass from their elbow. It's pretty simple. The US Admin could care less about this situation. Ya gotta play nice in the sand box with them.....So I figured WTF.....Set up a trip to Ireland as those people have a green light for travel....So going there instead. Another postponement of the Scottish which was put together 28 months ago............................

"those people"? wow....classless!

So back to back cancellations of two weeks in Scotland. But taking some solence in 10 rounds in Ireland. And getting to the new Doak St Patricks.

Personally, I would go to Ireland first. I think you get a little more of a complete trip if you do Ireland: golf, pubs, music, scenery, hospitality and other things. Scotland, while has all those too, it is a little more 'clinical' (prob wrong wording) -- things are just a little less fun/hospitable.

I have played every course in Ireland and would probably still go back first. I have played most of the main courses in Scotland, but still have a good number to knock off.
You can go to Ireland this year. You can't go to Scotland:rolleyes:

Not in the slightest, Doug is one of the nicest guys you'd ever be lucky enough to meet. As a resident of Scotland, I feel his frustration absolutely.

So effective tomorrow the UK allows for US travelers to come without quarantine....But they don't open for Canadians who have 90% less cases than US.....So explain how these decisions aren't political? And in the mean time....The US still has not opened for UK travelers to come.....

I would vote Scotland! My mothers’ maiden name was McCormick and I have always wanted to go there.

So effective tomorrow the UK allows for US travelers to come without quarantine....But they don't open for Canadians who have 90% less cases than US.....So explain how these decisions aren't political? And in the mean time....The US still has not opened for UK travelers to come.....
I think the decision is probably far more economic than political. With the US having nearly 10x the population of Canada, even a smaller than average number of Americans traveling to the UK will yield far more $$ than a much higher than average number of Canadians.

Why the UK doesn’t allow both is beyond me and, for better or worse, I’ve turned off the news the last 18 mos. or so. What I read in the WSJ or trade journals at work is all I can stomach. Other than that I stay out of political discussion.

I’m guessing as the Delta variant hits harder, restrictions will again be imposed and render any arguments for or against travel to the UK fairly moot.

They need to hurry TF up....things are getting a bit tight!

Which one is more affordable? Not that I’m cheap but I’d want the most bang for my bucks.

I would vote Scotland! My mothers’ maiden name was McCormick and I have always wanted to go there.
And you're welcome over here any time dude - first round is on me ;)

Which one is more affordable? Not that I’m cheap but I’d want the most bang for my bucks.
Really depends where you go. If you're headed to the real touristy hot spots, Dublin/Edinburgh etc then expect to pay hot spot prices. Likewise, if you go to the real upmarket courses then expect to pay through the nose for the hospitality and whatnot. But if you're prepared to stray off the beaten track a little in either country then you will get golf, food and as much of the amber (or black) liquid as you want for very reasonable prices.

Scottland for the golf, then Ireland for the pubs!

In fairness you could also apply the opposite. Now that Covid restrictions are being lifted nightlife in Scotland is as good as anywhere. In saying that, the golf in Ireland is as good as anywhere too.

Whatever the OP does, he’s in for a treat.

On COVID, Scotland are making their own decisions so they can show how successful they would be if independent. They are taking a very inefficient and head strong approach. They have banned English from gong there so you had no chance. If you read the link you will understand why Scotland is part of UK, we bought it.

Darien scheme - Wikipedia

An absolutely disgusting, arrogant and bigoted, post. “You” most certainly did not “buy” Scotland!

Incidentally, we hadn’t “banned English” from coming here, we had restricted entry for all unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
In fairness you could also apply the opposite. Now that Covid restrictions are being lifted nightlife in Scotland is as good as anywhere. In saying that, the golf in Ireland is as good as anywhere too.

Whatever the OP does, he’s in for a treat.
I know little to none about both Scotland & Ireland haha, Im sure both would be great!

I know little to none about both Scotland & Ireland haha, Im sure both would be great!

I’m Scottish but from an Irish family. Either way you’ll be made more than welcome.

In Scotland we are very cautious over Covid and are probably three weeks behind England in terms of peaks and troughs. We are approximately 80% double vaccinated though so restrictions should be easing completely soon, although the only restrictions currently are the need to wear a mask when in shops and public transport.

Enjoy!

Back