Shaft Myths Busted - THP TV

That video perfectly explained CG & I've referenced it many times when trying to explain or gather thoughts about CG and its effects.

The sad part about that is people still disagreed with it. Even though this person is the man responsible for designing the club that changed the way people view CG due to its marketing. The interwebz is a funny place. :D

To be fair, look at the Matrix data for the Black Tie line, the 6m3, 7m3, and 8m3 all seem to have very similar specs aside from the shaft weight. But I didn't see the bend point and the 6m3 shows l/m launching, while the 7m3/8m3 both show low launching. I haven't tried the line to see how much of a variance there would be from the 6m3 to the 7/8 versions. But only because they aren't readily accessible at any place outside of a custom fitter (Club Champion/etc.) that won't let me just walk in and hit the shaft without paying for a fitting.

ETA - I assume what I'm looking at is less of a difference between weight vs. stiffness, and more of a design feature difference?

I will be interested to see how your respond when getting fit with ust.

The sad part about that is people still disagreed with it. Even though this person is the man responsible for designing the club that changed the way people view CG due to its marketing. The interwebz is a funny place. :D

I would like to know what causes the head to move around the CG. Is it the club shaft twisting in the hands, and if so is that a grip pressure issue? Or is it the torque of the club literally allowing the shaft and head to twist under pressure, and if so why not produce every shaft with low torque to keep that from happening? Is it simply off-center contact? Or is it something else entirely?

Regardless of the cause, can it be corrected or minimized through equipment design/selection (i.e, a low forward CG causes the face to move more at impact, so can that be minimized by addressing the cause of the movement around the CG).

Love this THP TV episode.

AMAZING! I am actually watching this video right now. One of the most enjoyable moments for the show for me, spending about an hour picking the brain of Tom (unreal amount of knowledge). The more we learn as amateur golfers the better chance we have of getting into the right gear, whether it's conscious or subconscious decision making.

Thanks for bumping this. I'm not as active during the winter months up here and definitely didn't see this before. Lots of good info in there, always love the whippy myths lol

Thanks for bumping this. I'm not as active during the winter months up here and definitely didn't see this before. Lots of good info in there, always love the whippy myths lol

Whippy and shafts wearing out were my two favorite myths that I loved hearing get debunked. The interviews this year at the PGA show were all really top notch, but this was definitely one of my favorite ones.

THought this would be a fun THP TV episode to bump with Canadan talking with one of the great minds.

Thanks for the bump, pretty good watch

Back