Shaft Myths Busted - THP TV

Well done Dan. Good info in that interview. I have been really intrigued by the advances in graphite iron shafts. Would love to try some one of these days.

Dan- spectacular work. Shafts remain the most vague aspect of my golf knowledge. This seriously helps that. Great work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mythbusters THP style, love it!

Very interesting. I particularly enjoyed the use of the word "whippier."

But in all seriousness, its interesting to hear the discussion on using lighter (but non-whippy, HA) graphite shafts. I'm certainly no expert, but wouldn't you have to add some weight somewhere to protect the swing-weight? And wouldn't that in turn negate at least part of the benefit of a lighter graphite shaft in irons?

~Rock

Good stuff Dan. Love THP bringing the truth.

Great stuff. Geeking out on golf tech.

I LOVED this segment! Lots of good info here in this one!................... As it is in ALL of them :act-up:

JM

Very good interview.

Another great interview Dan. Rather enjoyed this one, seeing how I prefer graphite shafts.

Great interview Dan. I would have to say you "Busted Some Myths"!!!

One of my prouder moments from the show. Hidden behind this video was about a half hour of back and forth with Tom that I wish we captured, because the man is simply loaded with incredible knowledge.

So very glad we got some of these myths debunked. Also pleased you are enjoying it.

Good interview Dan, I would like to hear some of his off camera takes because he looks to be holding back info so as just to answer the question given to him. I imagine he could talk for hours if given the platform to do so.

Good interview Dan, I would like to hear some of his off camera takes because he looks to be holding back info so as just to answer the question given to him. I imagine he could talk for hours if given the platform to do so.

I would think less "holding back" and more "talking in normal people language" so that we can all grasp what he's trying to explain.

But absolutely. I'm just really, really excited about what they can do with graphite these days.

The series of video from this years show has been unbelievable. Not only are new products highlighted, but they're extremely education and informative. Love them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Videos like this are fantastic. Reminds me of the TO video we did about CG last year.

I would think less "holding back" and more "talking in normal people language" so that we can all grasp what he's trying to explain.

But absolutely. I'm just really, really excited about what they can do with graphite these days.

Exactly. I got the impression during the interview that when Tom was hesitating, he was thinking about how to verbalize it in a way the common golfer would understand.

Any time graphite shaft debates come up, have this thread ready to go. A lot of interesting stuff.

Great interview and information from the interview. I can say that I was once a skeptic on putting graphite in my irons. Then the body aging process started to take over and it became preferential to my health to switch from steel. After gaming Recoil 95 F4 shafts in my irons from about 2 months, I can honestly say that they are just as stout as any stiff steel I have played before and benefits me by removing greatly the vibration factor. Myth busted for me!

Last edited:
I can make a 50g shaft just as stiff as a 80g x-stiff shaft. That's a VERY telling statement and should really help to kill the rumors that still swirl.

Good discussion about steel versus graphite in the irons and how the lower weights will lead to more graphite acceptance.

Great job Dan on the interview, asked some fantastic questions.

But who's making light weight production runs of shafts like this that perform similarly to heavier shafts? I would really love to try a light shaft that is low launching, low spin, but it doesn't seem like there are many out there to try.

But who's making light weight production runs of shafts like this that perform similarly to heavier shafts? I would really love to try a light shaft that is low launching, low spin, but it doesn't seem like there are many out there to try.

Did you check out the video?

Did you check out the video?

Yes, but I'm curious as to to what makes/models would be similar or would it have to be across two different lines of shafts? For example, the lighter version of one model might perform like the heavier version of another from the same maker.

I tried the Fujikura 7.3 TS in Stiff to compare to my current 8.3 TS X and got major ballooned ball flight that cut 20-30 yards of my drives. There is very little difference in the specs bewteen the Stiff and X so I gave stiff a try, but I think that has less to do with the results I saw than the overall design (weight, bend point, etc.). From looking a the data, it seems like I would maybe have to try the 7.2 series shaft to see similar performance to the 8.3 series. And these are shafts you won't typically see at Golfsmith, my local store didn't even have the TP shafts for the SLDR 6 months ago or so.

Not the brand in question, but the JDL series from Miyazaki spanned different weight ranges and was built to spec out the same in stiffness and bend profile.

Yes, but I'm curious as to to what makes/models would be similar or would it have to be across two different lines of shafts? For example, the lighter version of one model might perform like the heavier version of another from the same maker.

I tried the Fujikura 7.3 TS in Stiff to compare to my current 8.3 TS X and got major ballooned ball flight that cut 20-30 yards of my drives. There is very little difference in the specs bewteen the Stiff and X so I gave stiff a try, but I think that has less to do with the results I saw than the overall design (weight, bend point, etc.). From looking a the data, it seems like I would maybe have to try the 7.2 series shaft to see similar performance to the 8.3 series. And these are shafts you won't typically see at Golfsmith, my local store didn't even have the TP shafts for the SLDR 6 months ago or so.

Depends on the manufacturer and it might have to cross lines. Miyazaki lines had this in their most recent offerings (JDL I believe)
Based on following your journey on THP, you were fit and said you needed a heavier shaft, but are struggling with repeatable swings with the longer club. Im guessing you find the answers you are looking for with THPers when you are fit again for the prototype at the THP UST shaft event. Absolute experts that design and create and have worked with some of the best on Tour will be watching and fitting in this instance.

The idea that weight is major differential in stiffness is just an incorrect thought was one of the stories behind the video. Its something we have seen posted on THP hundreds of times and no matter how many times myself and Hawk answer it, it was kind of refused, so therefore we wanted to go straight to the people that create these shafts and have them explain it.

To be fair, look at the Matrix data for the Black Tie line, the 6m3, 7m3, and 8m3 all seem to have very similar specs aside from the shaft weight. But I didn't see the bend point and the 6m3 shows l/m launching, while the 7m3/8m3 both show low launching. I haven't tried the line to see how much of a variance there would be from the 6m3 to the 7/8 versions. But only because they aren't readily accessible at any place outside of a custom fitter (Club Champion/etc.) that won't let me just walk in and hit the shaft without paying for a fitting.

ETA - I assume what I'm looking at is less of a difference between weight vs. stiffness, and more of a design feature difference?

Depends on the manufacturer and it might have to cross lines. Miyazaki lines had this in their most recent offerings (JDL I believe)
Based on following your journey on THP, you were fit and said you needed a heavier shaft, but are struggling with repeatable swings with the longer club. Im guessing you find the answers you are looking for with THPers when you are fit again for the prototype at the THP UST shaft event. Absolute experts that design and create and have worked with some of the best on Tour will be watching and fitting in this instance.

The idea that weight is major differential in stiffness is just an incorrect thought was one of the stories behind the video. Its something we have seen posted on THP hundreds of times and no matter how many times myself and Hawk answer it, it was kind of refused, so therefore we wanted to go straight to the people that create these shafts and have them explain it.

Very excited about this.

Videos like this are fantastic. Reminds me of the TO video we did about CG last year.

That video perfectly explained CG & I've referenced it many times when trying to explain or gather thoughts about CG and its effects.

Back