Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
If you had someone available to you that could answer anything you wanted answered about golf shafts, what would your question(s) be?

Tech? Style? Cosmetics? Full lineup debates? Torque?

I want to learn more about graphite shafts for irons. Why are they better than steel shafts performance wise?

OOh! Is this a potential topic for Off Course?

What I'd like to know is which stock shaft offering is a typical good fit for a slow swinging golfer like me that drives the ball 200 yards on average... so a swing speed somewhere in the mid 70's with a driver? Low 80's?

Why don't manufacturers offer more graphics options or color options on the shafts they make?

What should one look for in shaft specs to correspond with swing tempo? Like say if someone had a painfully slow backswing, aggressive transition and follow through resulting in a physics-defying snap hook.

I want to learn more about graphite shafts for irons. Why are they better than steel shafts performance wise?
This! Took the words out of my mouth!

I'd want to know about tech as it relates to launch characteristics and how some shafts can help with better dispersion, height, etc. An R flex in one shaft may be very different from another, so it'd be cool to know some tech characteristics to look for based on what type of performance we need.

What makes certain graphics or paint schemes make or miss the cut when designing them for shafts?

This. 100% and absolutely.

Both places I tested irons I was told to get graphite shafts. I don't know if they are better performance wise or just less damage on the body (potentially?) but I would really like to know that as well.

Given there is no specific standard other than CPM as a measurement for the shaft performance metrics, whats the best way to compare/validate different shaft EI profiles to know what types of shafts ( tip stiff, counter balanced, mid soft, etc. ) best fit our swing mechanics? For instance, I get really good numbers with shafts with stiff/xstiff tips and mid sections but I get better feel of loading and power return with softer mid section shafts.

Notice all descriptions are relative ( softer, stiffer, etc. ). HOw does an amateur who is not a tech geek on shafts navigate that world?

There was a thread or a post in a thread just a few days / week ago that talked about moving weight in a shaft. How important is that to the average player and consideration? Can shaft weight be manipulated as easily as head weight location? Is it more important in different clubs?

Why don't all clubs use the same size shaft ends - some need adapters for different brands is that because brands like to be specific to themselves or is a larger / smaller opening part of their design to get the club to do what they want?

Is there a direct formula for a shaft in the ways of if you add such and such in this manner you get a certain CPM or EI signature?

What’s the step by step process of making a shaft?

Will or is there technology available to create specific shafts to swings via a fitting to formula to shaft?

Any new merging materials that could create new options in the field? What graphite was to steel and that to wood.

Is there a alternative to resin or a zero resin composite shaft possibility? Would it be beneficial or not enough to be worth it?

When creating a new shaft you start from the ground up or use a previous model to start from and tweak to fit your goals?

Are you in the stiffest shaft you can load, softest you can control, or neither camp?

What is a misnomer on shafts that you wish would die?

How are mass production tolerances done?

To create the greatest shaft currently feasible what would retail rate be?

Last edited:
This topic is my jam!!

1.where do you Start you shaft design?
2. What design or material in the market is pixy dust and what is real?
3. Do you start with a new materials and see how to use them? Or does R&d determine when to use new materials?
4. Can we be best friends?
5. When is steel going to die completely?
6. Can you create a composite shaft that feels like steel?
7. If you watched my swing could you design the perfect shaft for me?

I could go in forever..

How feasible is more shaft graphic/color customization in the future?

What's the next big material/process breakthrough on the horizon?

How do you feel about the 46" driver limit?

Should there be a more standardized way to measure flex across the industry?

off the record - what are the margins on top of the line driver shafts? :censored:

What's the one internet golfer shaft myth that you wish would just go away.

I have been debating starting a Golf Shafts for Dummies Thread. I really know very little about shafts other than they have a letter or letters relating to flex. And I have no clue what the difference is between a Fentus and a Ventus. Where should someone begin to educate themselves as to the subject of golf shafts?

Last edited:
What is the most RPMs physically possible from ends of the spectrum for spin via a shaft?

Given there is no specific standard other than CPM as a measurement for the shaft performance metrics, whats the best way to compare/validate different shaft EI profiles to know what types of shafts ( tip stiff, counter balanced, mid soft, etc. ) best fit our swing mechanics? For instance, I get really good numbers with shafts with stiff/xstiff tips and mid sections but I get better feel of loading and power return with softer mid section shafts.

Notice all descriptions are relative ( softer, stiffer, etc. ). HOw does an amateur who is not a tech geek on shafts navigate that world?
Lots of great questions so far in this thread. I'll piggy back mine onto this one as it relates to CPM.

I was fit into a set of graphite shafts where the "flex" was prescribed for each iron in the set in terms of CPM. The particular shaft had an 8 inch parallel tip section that allowed for the fine tuning of flex. How should CPM progress through an iron set? Is there a simple way for a consumer to know what each OEMs definition of R, S, X in CPM? Ideally, EI profiles should be offered by each manufacturer.

What should one look for in shaft specs to correspond with swing tempo? Like say if someone had a painfully slow backswing, aggressive transition and follow through resulting in a physics-defying snap hook.
That easily looks like it could be an 'asking for friend' type question ;):ROFLMAO:

Why are graphite shafts hand rolled and how consistent do you feel that process is?

I would like to know more about how different profiles work for certain ball striking patterns. Seems like a ton of work to make heads that have draw bias, but why not a shaft that promotes a draw bias?

If you had someone available to you that could answer anything you wanted answered about golf shafts, what would your question(s) be?

Tech? Style? Cosmetics? Full lineup debates? Torque?

Bend profiles and characteristics so I can find the best ones for my swing style

Where do you feel shaft design and technology will take the shafts of the future?

Back