Should amateurs that win PGA Tournaments Get Prize Money?

He is though, he's now in every single Major.
True but he’s going to need some walking around money when he turns pro and this would go a long way to helping him out imo

Isn’t a 2 year PGA Tour full exemption with entry into most Majors and biggest tournaments getting rewarded for the win regardless of prize money?
Two-year PGA Tour exemption yes. Majors, no. But from winning the US Amateur Dunlap is in the Masters, US Open, and British Open.

True but he’s going to need some walking around money when he turns pro and this would go a long way to helping him out imo
Oh, he will have that NIL I'm sure he's saved up, hahaha

Not to mention, you know TMaG is ready to pay, this was a big win for them.

Hell yes it is. The bigger reward than the money.
I hope he jumps on it, turns pro immediately, and tries to qualify for The Open. Surprised this doesn’t get him in as he would turn down his amateur exemption, but I saw he moves to 68th in the OWGR so that helps.

He’s an amateur, wonder if he , finished middle or in lower tier prize money would the question be the same ?

He had opportunity , nobody makes poor choices having a rear vision mirror ….

Two-year PGA Tour exemption yes. Majors, no. But from winning the US Amateur Dunlap is in the Masters, US Open, and British Open.
This win would him into the Masters and PGA as a pro. He would remain eligible for the US Open from his Am win, but would forfeit his Open Championship eligibility by going pro.

I hope he jumps on it, turns pro immediately, and tries to qualify for The Open. Surprised this doesn’t get him in as he would turn down his amateur exemption, but I saw he moves to 68th in the OWGR so that helps.
I'd be surprised if he doesn't. That would be some amazing restraint. The timing now is PERFECT imo.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't. That would be some amazing restraint. The timing now is PERFECT imo.
Winning on Tour is hard. Look at Cam Young. He should use ad much of that two year exemption as possible to learn and grow.

Yes, this week Dunlap will declare himself to be a professional player and member of the PGA Tour.

He is though, he's now in every single Major.
Not quite. His entry into The Open is because of his win as US Amateur. If he turns pro he forfeits that spot unless he otherwise earns his way back in.

If he turns pro, though, he’s in any PGA Tour event he wants, including all of the signature events. He’d be a fool not to turn pro ASAP.

While it is unfortunate he shouldn’t, but I would be turning professional tomorrow and banking!

I’m in the minority. He entered the tourney, he won the tourney. Give him the money.

Nope, no fence sitting. Declare either way and live with the results.

He teed off on Thursday knowing whatever he did he was not eligible to win money. I think he’ll be ok.

Jada Pinkett Smith Periodt GIF by Red Table Talk

That would be hard to pass up. And I read that no matter when he accepts it, the exemption is only good through 2026. Tick tock….

Dunlap should be signing the PGA membership paperwork right now if he knows what is good for him. The endorsements he would get as a PGA pro as well would be big. I think the only time it is good for someone to drop out of college and go pro is if they know they have a guaranteed spot on the PGA tour.

This week wasn’t about what he could earn in this tournament. It was about what he could earn in the next 200 or so.

Nah, he knew what he was getting into.

The exemptions and everything though? I would be declaring pro immediately and taking advantage of all the exemptions/eligibility.

Get out there and keep playing. You can always do schooling in your off time.

Nah, he knew what he was getting into.

The exemptions and everything though? I would be declaring pro immediately and taking advantage of all the exemptions/eligibility.

Get out there and keep playing. You can always do schooling in your off time.
Rose Zhang is currently doing it.

Back