Should amateurs that win PGA Tournaments Get Prize Money?

Only if you entered as a professional. Obviously he didn't want to lose his amateur status prior

Can I pick the lottery numbers after the drawing?

I imagine he may declare himself a professional before Thursday.
My wife stalked him and his girlfriend on social media. He looks like he has money already so he may want to stay in college and become pro on his timeline. Just because people see money doesn't mean that every kid with a chance should turn pro. 🤷‍♂️

My wife stalked him and his girlfriend on social media. He looks like he has money already so he may want to stay in college and become pro on his timeline. Just because people see money doesn't mean that every kid with a chance should turn pro. 🤷‍♂️
"Timeline" is especially good right now; including the full year schedule ahead, good pairings, hot commodity for sponsor contracts etc...
I expect him to declare himself professional within the next couple of days.

Likely both. He'd lose amateur status with the USGA and the PGA Tour rule would prevent him from getting paid.

Actually on second thought, the USGA rule would not come into play. The PGA Tour will not allow him to accept the prize money, so he can't lose his amateur status unless there were a way he could.

Prior to this elevated events thing, it would be a tougher decision imo. But with the elevated events change I just don't see how you can turn down going pro. No guarantee you play yourself back into those. And it seems like once your in, its by far the easiest way to ensure you are in following years. Will be interesting what he decides.

No. He knew going into the tournament the rules and he's going to cash in now going forward.

I don't think so. I am curious if he had millions of dollars on the line if it was the same outcome or does it put added pressure for him

No, he knew what he was signing up for before accepting the exemption. But I am glad that he will be able to get the 2 year exemption for winning once he turns pro.
Sort of. He's exempt through the 2026 season, regardless of when he turns pro. The clock started running when he sunk the winning putt, not when he turns professional, so every day he waits shortens the exemption period for him.

Sort of. He's exempt through the 2026 season, regardless of when he turns pro. The clock started running when he sunk the winning putt, not when he turns professional, so every day he waits shortens the exemption period for him.
Which is why I am surprised he hasnt done so yet.

As nice as it would be with the win he will get paid. That money will come to him, just in another way. Whether it's an equipment deal or something. The win has elevated his status so he can command that.

I get how it would be nice, but he could always have turned pro prior if money was the real driving force for him.

He entered as an amateur, so he shouldn't receive any winnings

If he wants money from an event he needs to turn pro

Yeah, but I don't have a problem with that either, the exemption is two years from when you win. It's his decision on when he wants to turn professional if he does in those two years. Much like it was his decision to enter this tournament as an amateur and forfeit any prize money he may win.

"Dunlap is eligible to take up PGA TOUR membership at any time during the 2024 PGA TOUR Season. He will get the typical exemption of a PGA TOUR winner."

He has to go pro. Having a two year exemption is just an opportunity of a lifetime that you cannot pass up.
having the 2 year exemption is a huge deal

No he shouldn't. But man I bet he's kicking himself. Thats a lot of money that he may never see again who knows.

Also what happens to that money do they split it up amongst the rest of winners or does it just go back to the sponsor?

No he shouldn't. But man I bet he's kicking himself. Thats a lot of money that he may never see again who knows.

Also what happens to that money do they split it up amongst the rest of winners or does it just go back to the sponsor?
2nd place winner got 1st place purse, and so on...

Talk about the perfect time to come in 2nd...

Dont believe so, he had a Sponsor exemption.

The sponsor exemption could have been because he was an amateur. Maybe not though.

In any event I agree if you don't declare you shouldn't get the money. I feel a bit different about the Fedex Cup points. I think if you win the event you should get the points and they should count if he turns pro.

He knew the rules and was there only as an Amateur. Can't change the rules after the fact. However, I would have loved the winnings to an amateur going to a charity of their choice. I think that would be a fair compromise.

having the 2 year exemption is a huge deal

Totally. It is really more like a three year PGA exemption because the exemption will last until of 2026. Big money potential from prize money and endorsements. It is like winning the lottery with his game in my mind. Chance of lifetime. Too good to pass up.

One of the biggest issues of any aspiring pro is the expenses. The costs of trying to go pro is like taking a vacation every week. His costs are covered by getting 500K minimum for three years, but likely would win way way more.

Last edited:
Back