Should amateurs that win PGA Tournaments Get Prize Money?

Ok so maybe I don’t understand why anyone would enter a money tournament as an amateur.

What is the advantage or reason for doing that? Explain like I’m 5 pls…
You get the Experience but can still play college and any other am events (which are big for some of them) and he wouldn't lose his Masters eligibility and other exemptions (has it now anyways since he won).

Amateur - noun - a person who engages in a pursuit, especially a sport, on an unpaid rather than a professional basis.

Words should have actual meaning. If they want money, they can turn pro.

I like the idea of setting the money in a trust or something till they turn pro or something similar. Yeah, they knew entering as an amateur they can't get paid, but also at that level I'd bet they're more expecting just to get some experience more than win. I get how things are, just think we could do better for them when they win.

Amateur - noun - a person who engages in a pursuit, especially a sport, on an unpaid rather than a professional basis.

Words should have actual meaning. If they want money, they can turn pro.
NIL blew all that out the window.

Amex will just pay him what he would have made in prize money under the guise of NIL. He will be fine.

O…he knew entering the tournament he was ineligible for any cash.

That would be hard to pass up. And I read that no matter when he accepts it, the exemption is only good through 2026. Tick tock….

This is one thing I would support changing. You win a tournament as an amateur, you get get a 2-year exemption, starting when you turn pro. That allows kids to stay for their college career if they want. And I'd say if you win more than once, you get an extra year of exemption for each win as an am.

Nope, that makes someone a pro by collecting the prize money. So, they shouldn't get to use the amateur status to get in a tournament, but get to keep the winnings if finish high enough. Must be listed as a pro and earned his way or given an exemption to earn and keep the prize money.

Absolutely.

Give them 24-48 hours to claim status, and if they do, let them have their winnings.
I agree with this, 100%.

Nope… but who pays his caddy the 10%? TaylorMade?

Nope… but who pays his caddy the 10%? TaylorMade?
His caddie was a former Coach of his at Alabama, who played with Justin Thomas there as well. Seems like after he turned pro, and played for a bit, went back to Coaching and is now trying to get on the bag of a Pro.

I bet we see them together again.

Yes

I agree with the notion that they should have 7 days or a short time period to retroactively turn pro after a win.

No, he’s an amateur for a reason. Needed to declare beforehand to receive it but could of just as easily lost out on Augusta and all the other things he’s afforded being a amateur.

No, he knew what he was signing up for before accepting the exemption. But I am glad that he will be able to get the 2 year exemption for winning once he turns pro.

No, The rules are the rules.

When an amateur enters a PGA tournament, they know they aren’t getting paid and can continue with their amateur status. They shouldn’t be paid

I know the current rules are setup this way, but with the NIL changes, seems like maybe the PGA tour could change the rules slightly, or like I saw @Canadan post, give him a period of time to think about declaring.

Not just the money on that one, but also the exemption, etc.

Is it the PGA or the USGA’s amateur status rules that’s the reason for the money?

Nope, you are playing as a amateur and you know the rules before you sign to play. But from what I read, with his win, he is exempt through the 2026 PGA Tour season, as well as the PGA Championship and Masters this year. He also is exempt into all Signature events on the PGA Tour this season should he decide to turn pro. Dunlap has entered this week's Farmers Insurance Open but as an amateur.

Back