Should amateurs that win PGA Tournaments Get Prize Money?

Bryndom

2023 Grandaddy X!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 15
I get that they shouldn't get FedEx points, but after seeing what Nick Dunlap did, I just don't understand why he shouldn't get his share of the money. He entered the tournament, played incredibly well and won. He should be rewarded for it, IMO.

Nope. Gotta declare before the tournament. I’m not sure if his entry into the tournament was somehow contingent upon his am status.

Nope. Rules are rules.

Nope. Gotta declare before the tournament. I’m not sure if his entry into the tournament was somehow contingent upon his am status.
Dont believe so, he had a Sponsor exemption.

Nope. If he wanted the money he could have declared. It is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. They earn it a lot more than all the college athletes making millions on NIL deals.

He teed off on Thursday knowing whatever he did he was not eligible to win money. I think he’ll be ok.

Yes. They earn it a lot more than all the college athletes making millions on NIL deals.
This reads like there are hundreds of college athletes with million dollar deals which simply isn’t true.

That said, he can parlay this into those same types of deals so I don’t have issue with no prize money.

"Dunlap is eligible to take up PGA TOUR membership at any time during the 2024 PGA TOUR Season. He will get the typical exemption of a PGA TOUR winner."

He has to go pro. Having a two year exemption is just an opportunity of a lifetime that you cannot pass up.

I get that they shouldn't get FedEx points, but after seeing what Nick Dunlap did, I just don't understand why he shouldn't get his share of the money. He entered the tournament, played incredibly well and won. He should be rewarded for it, IMO.
He will be "rewarded for it" when he turns pro and signs $25 million worth of endorsement contracts.

Nope

"Dunlap is eligible to take up PGA TOUR membership at any time during the 2024 PGA TOUR Season. He will get the typical exemption of a PGA TOUR winner."

He has to go pro. Having a two year exemption is just an opportunity of a lifetime that you cannot pass up.
That would be hard to pass up. And I read that no matter when he accepts it, the exemption is only good through 2026. Tick tock….

No. He knew when he started the tournament that his amateur status would keep him from earning any prize money.

I think it should be put into an escrow account for him when he turns pro. He should be rewarded for his play imo

Ok so maybe I don’t understand why anyone would enter a money tournament as an amateur.

What is the advantage or reason for doing that? Explain like I’m 5 pls…

He knew the ropes going in, but maybe this wl challenge the whole model

Ok so maybe I don’t understand why anyone would enter a money tournament as an amateur.

Gain the benefit- experience of playing a Tour event. For example when he does turn pro he has the previous experience. This is why Tiger accepted invitations to play the LA Open when he was 16, 17, 18 years old.

Nah.

Isn’t a 2 year PGA Tour full exemption with entry into most Majors and biggest tournaments getting rewarded for the win regardless of prize money?

Can still play College golf.

I think it should be put into an escrow account for him when he turns pro. He should be rewarded for his play imo
He is though, he's now in every single Major.

Isn’t a 2 year PGA Tour full exemption with entry into most Majors and biggest tournaments getting rewarded for the win regardless of prize money?
Hell yes it is. The bigger reward than the money.

Back