Should Metal Spikes Make a Comeback?

I’ve never had metal spikes, but baseball was 100x better with metal.

I could honestly care less personally. I got into golf after metal spikes and only have one pair of plastic spike shoes that I wear maybe 3-4 rounds a year when I know it's gonna be soupy. I also prefer sneaker style shoes, and unsurprisingly dislike leather soled dress shoes. But if that's your thing and the course allows it, go for it.

I can't speak to the damage it would do on greens, but agree that we're apparently devolving into foot draggers based on how many marks I see on the greens around here. I don't know if metal makes that better or worse. I do think that getting courses back on board would be a challenge. They'd definitely chew up clubhouses.

I understand that most will skim and never see this post, but the idea of damage being worse when they were used forever and are still by some on the PGA Tour is just crazy to me. Soft spikes have more prongs generally speaking and do just as much damage if not more to greens.
Are you talking bent grass? Those little holes and dirt sticking out of them were everywhere on every single green when I first started playing and disappeared immediately after my home course started with softspikes. On top of that I rarely ever see softspike damage unless someone drags their foot. Everyone, footdraggers or not left a trace with metal spikes.

I understand that most will skim and never see this post, but the idea of damage being worse when they were used forever and are still by some on the PGA Tour is just crazy to me. Soft spikes have more prongs generally speaking and do just as much damage if not more to greens.
Golf courses didn’t ban metal spikes because of damage to the greens. They were banned because of the damage the spikes caused everywhere else. Carpet in the clubhouse, bar furniture, golf carts, concrete and asphalt.

Golf courses didn’t ban metal spikes because of damage to the greens. They were banned because of the damage the spikes caused everywhere else. Carpet in the clubhouse, bar furniture, golf carts, concrete and asphalt.
Been mentioned 👍

I've missed metal spikes since they were phased out.

Yes because the sounds they make in the parking lot and on cart paths is glorious.

I’m in the no camp on this one.

The sound is soul music. I’m good with them coming back.

Wouldn't mind at all, very light but firm upper, way lighter and less firm than the old era, with steel underneath would suit me just fine. Still use steel on range at times.

nah

Definitely Nay

The game and greens succeeded forever with metal spikes. 5-8 spikes per shoe. The idea that somehow they would ruin greens because soft spikes already are is crazy to me. Soft spikes are green killers
But have metal spikes been used at a high rate like soft spikes have on a green that has been maintained to todays standards vs that of older ones?

My opinion of course, its wasn't the metal, it was some lazy golfers that were wearing the spikes. People were just to darn lazy to pick their feet up and dragged their feet across the greens, which basically ripped up the grass around the hole. And, another reason, was traditional spikes were outlawed was it had to do with the tearing up of the cart floors and clubhouse carpeted and tile floors, and that comes from our club super.

No. But then again I'd be happy if we also eliminated softspikes.

I would say no. Maybe I don’t generate enough ground force but I very rarely slip and I think the benefits to the greens greatly out weighs the occasional slip. Particularly when our living doesn’t depend on it.

I believe so, l Liked them.... of course so many play with nubbies now, would they make a big change? WItht he rules changes about being able to fix the ball marks and tamp down spike marks, why not....? just put up a sign saying o spikes in clubhouse..... I change my shoes at the car anyway

No. The damage they cause outweighs any benefit they might provide.

There are three wonderful sounds in golf, ball plunking in the cup, clubs rattling in the back on the way to the first round of the year and the clacking of metal spikes on concrete.

I miss the sound of spikes on concrete I don't miss the secondary damage spikes did. I'd like to see them return but I know they won't.

No, not really. Folks left too many spike tears on the greens, especially near the holes.

Some of those wearing the plastic soft spikes still leave tears on on the greens, but they are not as bad as the steel spikes were.

That said I am glad I don't see too many golfers wearing spikes of any kind these days. Most are wearing tennis shoes like me with an aggressive sole. I know I don't hardly see any turf damage around holes much anymore.

That's a hard no from me.
It's so nice now to throw on one pair of shoes while heading to the course and still be able to wear them afterwards in the clubhouse or grocery store on the way home. Heck I've even stopped by a restaurant on the way home and you don't feel out of place with most of the styles of spikeless I wear now.

Back