Should Metal Spikes Make a Comeback?

I don't understand the infatuation with the sound of steel spikes on concrete. That to me was the worst part of steel spikes in both golf and baseball. That sound was like fingernails on a chalk board. There was a reason we wore slides until we got into the dugout and then eventually put rubber horse stall matts in the dugouts. Wearing steel golf spikes I stuck to the grass as much as possible,.

As a dues paying member of the spikeless shoe brigade, no.

I loved the sound, but I hated how quickly they wore out and having to change them. I also hated that the shoes were hard and uncomfortable, and I hated going ice skating in them on any smooth surface. I'm not in favor of ever bringing them back.

Soft spikes have more prongs generally speaking and do just as much damage if not more to greens.
I prefer the spikeless shoes myself. Most major OEM's seem to have this type of offering.

No. The future is in plastics. :)
The Graduate Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

From a nostalgic standpoint, I would love to see them return. But, even if they did, I would keep wearing spikeless shoes. So much easier to work the course in. I would probably get one pair to wear during my handful of riding rounds a year.

I wouldn’t wear them and they absolutely demolished bent grass greens which is almost all we have here and north of here so I’m saying no way.

I'm no primarily because I am accustomed to and have no issues with spikeless.

See what I mean 🤣🤣🤣

@JB I didn’t skim this one.

Honestly, I think new plastic spikes can damage greens as bad or worse than the metal spikes. Obviously if you wear a spiked shoe at all, you need to be cognizant of how you walk…..

I miss metal spike shoes and would love to see them come back. I never once tore up a green wearing metal spikes even when I was young.

However, I have seen people tear up greens with both soft and metal spikes. Sometimes I think people believe that soft spike shoes don’t tear up the ground and they are less aware of what they’re doing.

My guess is if I were wearing metal spiked shoes I wouldn't have slipped and fell and broke my ankle and leg.

Nay. I have a very couple very steep paved hills to walk at my home course and I can't imagine the slippage with metal spikes! I still slip with plastic or soft spikes from time-to-time!

This, and the damage to carpets and decks at the clubhouse...

Love going to an old school club and seeing the wooden benches in the locker room that have the spike marks on top where guys would put their shoes on and tie them.

I wouldn't mind if they came back but I probably wouldn't wear them. As to course damage, I played for years when metal was all everyone wore and I never noticed any difference between then and today. Definitely hard on club houses though.

I understand that most will skim and never see this post, but the idea of damage being worse when they were used forever and are still by some on the PGA Tour is just crazy to me. Soft spikes have more prongs generally speaking and do just as much damage if not more to greens.
Were the metal spikes longer than today’s plastic? I came to the game post metal, and have never actually seen a pair.

I understand that most will skim and never see this post, but the idea of damage being worse when they were used forever and are still by some on the PGA Tour is just crazy to me. Soft spikes have more prongs generally speaking and do just as much damage if not more to greens.
There must have been some type of a review/comparison done when soft spikes were being developed and pitched to investors. I could see some folks cringing when looking at the mess of plastic claws on a pair of shoes when they were used to seeing a few metal spikes protruding from super smooth leather soles.

Were the metal spikes longer than today’s plastic? I came to the game post metal, and have never actually seen a pair.
Metal spikes were much longer. I remember selling lots back in high school when I worked at a sports store. We had a specific mat that people had to stand on when they were trying on golf shoes.

How do spikeless compare to the other two? I honestly don't know the answer. All of my shoes are spikeless except the pair of Asics I bought that have soft spikes and are my wet condition shoes now.

The game and greens succeeded forever with metal spikes. 5-8 spikes per shoe. The idea that somehow they would ruin greens because soft spikes already are is crazy to me. Soft spikes are green killers

The game and greens succeeded forever with metal spikes. 5-8 spikes per shoe. The idea that somehow they would ruin greens because soft spikes already are is crazy to me. Soft spikes are green killers
Makes sense. So who needs to blink first? Courses or shoe manufacturers?

Makes sense. So who needs to blink first? Courses or shoe manufacturers?
Oh it’s never coming back. It’s a shame, but they have golfers convinced it’s better for the course

Nay

Back