Should Metal Spikes Make a Comeback?

Yes, they were all I wore for the first several years of playing.

I don't think so. It's bad enough that our sport has had a steady decline because today's youth just don't care to play. Rising costs in all facets have even made "old timers" give up the game. As for metal spikes, can't see them making the comeback. Styles these days are made for combining 1 pair of shoes for multiple uses. Take for instance the Addidas soft spiked line; these can be worn on the course or casual wear. Same Callaway and Puma. Can't do that with steel.

I have so many spikes shoes I don't know if I'd care, as long as it wouldn't damage the greens too much I'd be ok with it

i think if they would come back......it should and would be very very very course dependent. Public course would be a HARD NO. Private? I think you could get away with it more.

Overall, I dont see why there is a need to. Especially in normal rounds of uncompetitive golf.

Nope...first question would be why do you feel you need them.

Nope

I’ve never worn them but they sound like a good way to slip in the parking lot.

No. They do mess up the greens. Also, they make the shoes heavy as thick soles are needed.

Styles these days are made for combining 1 pair of shoes for multiple uses. Take for instance the Addidas soft spiked line; these can be worn on the course or casual wear. Same Callaway and Puma. Can't do that with steel.
this is me 💯. Yes, I voted I’d like them to come back because I see no issue with them, but I’d personally never wear them. I really like wearing spikeless for the combination reasons as you mentioned.

Nay. It’s bad enough when people drag their feet in soft spikes. I can’t imagine the carnage if they weee wearing the old metal style.

we've moved on from laminate heads and metal spikes

Nay. It’s bad enough when people drag their feet in soft spikes. I can’t imagine the carnage if they weee wearing the old metal style.
More prongs on soft spikes.

100% yes. i always felt more in control with my swing. and who doesn't love that sound when you walking on concrete?

I understand that most will skim and never see this post, but the idea of damage being worse when they were used forever and are still by some on the PGA Tour is just crazy to me. Soft spikes have more prongs generally speaking and do just as much damage if not more to greens.

More prongs on soft spikes.
Are there? I honestly can’t recall.

And I still say nay because with some of the drag marks I’ve seen on greens around here, metal spikes would make it look like they hit it with a 3 bottom plow.

Are there? I honestly can’t recall.

And I still say nay because with some of the drag marks I’ve seen on greens around here, metal spikes would make it look like they hit it with a 3 bottom plow.
Yes without a doubt. Probably 5x the amount since each spike has between 5-10.

Yes without a doubt. Probably 5x the amount since each spike has between 5-10.
Fair point. I didn’t really consider the multi pointed soft spikes replaced the single metal.

Bring 'em back! Now that any and all damage to a green can be repaired, why not! The same people who will complain about the pace of play getting worse are the same ones that think leaving the flag in saves an appreciable amount of time.

I understand that most will skim and never see this post, but the idea of damage being worse when they were used forever and are still by some on the PGA Tour is just crazy to me. Soft spikes have more prongs generally speaking and do just as much damage if not more to greens.
There needs to be a definite study done on this.

I would be interested to see this in person. The new soft spikes do a lot of surface damage to the grass but I feel like the metal spikes used to tear all the way into the roots when people would drag there feet. Granted most courses went spikeless when in was in late college or grad school so it's been 28 years or so since I last wore metal spikes or seen what they do to greens so my memory may be fuzzy.

I am in the No camp. I play in a lot of sketchy conditions but have never once thought I needed metal spikes for stability, so they are not necessary. And we are so much better off on the greens without all the spike marks. This is one of those areas where progress has been good.

Back