Should Metal Spikes Make a Comeback?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Yay or Nay?

100% yes. I hate plastic . Unfortunately we can't train people to pick up their feet when they walk

No, I already see enough damage on greens from soft spikes by the olds around here, I cringe to think about foot dragging with metal.

No. People barely raise there feet as is and it’s hard enough fixing the pirouette marks on the green as is without adding aerators to it.

• Admin
No, I already see enough damage on greens from soft spikes by the olds around here, I cringe to think about foot dragging with metal.
I personally believe soft spikes with multiple prongs do way more damage than single pronged metal spikes.

Many believe they were removed due to club house damage, not course damage. That of course and they cost more to make.

Yes so that I can try them and hear the clickity clack on the concrete. I loved that sound from high school baseball.

Yes, just because they make the most satisfying noise in golf when walking on concrete.

I personally believe soft spikes with multiple prongs do way more damage than single pronged metal spikes.

Many believe they were removed due to club house damage, not course damage. That of course and they cost more to make.
I dunno, with the push all the way down and draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag that metal would allow, I think for the neanderthals metal will do more damage.

For the normal, able to pick their feet up when they walk, person, I have long thought softspikes do more damage.

Yes. I kinda like the sound they make.
But mostly, I didn’t think they tore up the course all that much.
And I miss the sound.

I was told the same about carpet damage and you could see it . With plastic, they had to start treat greens for fungus . People with leather soles and metal spikes had a tendency to clean their shoes . Many with plastic hardly did and would track grass from course to course creating another issue

It's been so long since I owned metal spikes I don't even remember them other than the sound. I'm fine with plastic.

No. Never cared for metal spikes when I played baseball in high school, not sure I'd like them any better on a golf course.

I wouldn't mind them, but I'd be afraid for so many greens.

Yes!!

I assume there is really no money in it, but I can't understand (beyond that) why/how a metal alternative that isn't any more damaging than multiprong soft spikes are, by this time.

I would love to have them come back but like others have said too much damage seems to occur.

Yes. The current "cleats" don't last very long and they are a pain to change.

Carts, carpeting, door thresholds, steps, decking, grout on tile bathroom floors, even the benches in locker rooms from those have to put their feet on them to tie their shoes.

Funny how the maintenance staff and caddies can cover the course in sneakers.

Yes. I kinda like the sound they make.
But mostly, I didn’t think they tore up the course all that much.
And I miss the sound.
The sound is amazing. Don't miss the spike marks everywhere. It's bad enough with soft spikes.

I hated replacing spikes. Loved the sound though. I don't think we need them to make a comeback

Big no from me. I see too much damage on greens now from feet/soft spikes being dragged I can only imagine metal spike damage

1000% Yes! I slip so many times wearing soft spikes. I don't remember slipping as much with metal.

Back