Sky Marks, Who Cares?

It would bother me and I would have to have it repaired.

I'll preface this by saying I have never put a sky mark on a club, so I never gave it much thought.

Recently I let my buddy Josh try out my beloved 21° 913h, when he returned it, it had a big ol' scratch right on the center lip of the crown. I wasn't angry, as I let him borrow it, and I didn't give it a second thought.

That club was my absolute go to for 200yard shots from the fairway or the rough. It worked like a charm every time.

Since it received its scar, I can't hit it to save my life! As of today, I have decided to take it out of the bag altogether.

Is this psychological? Is that blemish distracting me? What the heck is going on?

Do sky marks bother you?
I am a little surprised to hear that this is really an issue for as many folks as it appears to be.

Personally I could care less. I let friends and acquaintances bang away and have never worried about skymarks, etc. I have a couple marks on my clubs and really couldn't tell you who put them there (not unlikely that I am the culprit).

I will say that reading this has been eye opening in that I will never, ever, consider asking anyone to hit their gear going forward.

I never dreamed of it being a concern----but part of the benefit of reading these posts is that it helps to shed light on various issues.....even ones you might never have conceived of orherwise.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have sky (idiot/drunk) marks on my Driver, 5w, and 3H. The bad kind where dirt/sand was sandwiched in between the ball and basically acted like 12 grit sand paper on the crown. The driver is a mini driver at 13 degrees which I have hit off the deck a few times. But the mark (scratches) came from a drunk low-teed fat drive attempt. I've also learned that hitting from very sandy practice ranges can really do a number on your club with a fat shot. I would prefer them not to be there but I know it doesn't affect the playability of the club. All of my clubs have their own knicks and scratches so for me it's just personality and lessons learned. Now an actual dent on the crown I would absolutely not game.

Edit: What bothered me the most is dropping my brand new driver on the cart path and scratching the toe. Totally avoidable bone-head mistake. However, the idiot marks later on overshadowed the tiny scratch on the toe. :D

Sky marks were a lot more common 30 years ago with driver heads back then averaging only about 140cc's. I haven't put one on any of my clubs in the last 25 years but I couldn't allow a club with a sky mark in my bag. I'd get it fixed or sell it.

Last edited:
I can't use a club that has a topline scar. Simply cannot.
I can't either. And I am prone to them, so I protect my clubs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Had my wife send me a picture. It's only minimal but it's there. I know it's not like a lot of people's skymarks that I have heard about

tARIFox.png

Maybe it's just the lighting in the picture but I'm not sure I see where the sky mark is. I'll preface by stating that I'm also an idiot......who's blind. So there's that.

Had my wife send me a picture. It's only minimal but it's there. I know it's not like a lot of people's skymarks that I have heard about

tARIFox.png

Maybe I'm the only one, but I can't see it.

312778959d19fff6272dbece7012adc1.jpg

For those having trouble..

Yes that would bother me... I don’t mind letting peeps hit any of my gear but they just need to know...#skyitbuyit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, guess I'm not the only one!
Lighting ain't good, it's not anything too big tho. Was just raising an issue that seems to annoy a lot of people like myself.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

312778959d19fff6272dbece7012adc1.jpg

For those having trouble..

Yes that would bother me... I don’t mind letting peeps hit any of my gear but they just need to know...#skyitbuyit

I'm not hitting your clubs anymore.

I'm not hitting your clubs anymore.

All my clubs are old now... the ‘buy it now’ price is about the same as a post round beer...

I Don't really care, It adds Character and I only let my friends hit my clubs. I will let my friends try my Cobra clubs if they ask. I want them to see how nice they are. The only time I would be concerned was if it was on the face and affected my shots.

I am just as likely to scratch my clubs as any of my friends and I can't remember the last time I did it.

I also drive a 99 Honda that the last owner dented up pretty good. So maybe I am not the best one to ask.

Sky Marks, Who Cares?

Like I said I personally, put a skymark on my 3W. I know exactly when it happened (The 9th hole on my home course)...

e3103a6f76e375dfb3771b98f100fcba.jpg

It’s bad from that angle, but I can hardly see it at address...

aa9db80f1be45f240385421ff25e3e20.jpg

It hasn’t affected my opinion of the club, or my ability to hit the club (if you read my review of the Rogue Sub Zero 3W+, you know that I love this club), however I still get miffed at myself for skymarking it...

I can't use a club that has a topline scar. Simply cannot.

Luckily I have never had that happen, even with the divot making of an ex THP'er, but I think I would be in the same boat here. It would drive me crazy if I could see it at address. Like putting your inspection sticker on the bottom part of the windshield only to see that it's crooked. Ha.

Luckily I have never had that happen, even with the divot making of an ex THP'er, but I think I would be in the same boat here. It would drive me crazy if I could see it at address. Like putting your inspection sticker on the bottom part of the windshield only to see that it's crooked. Ha.
Ha. I refuse to put stickers on my windows.or anywhere on my cars for that matter

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

6a687302ffa2225a68b0cfc38e261a7d.jpg

Will this work to remove a skymark?

I have several. I honestly don't worry about that sort of thing.

tARIFox.png

Looks like you have the perfect driver swing misses for twist face there.

I can't say I enjoy them, but as a beginning golfer (<5yrs) they happen...more than I'd like.

6a687302ffa2225a68b0cfc38e261a7d.jpg

Will this work to remove a skymark?

I have used this in the past. It will work, but your going to have to use some sort of buffing wheel. Elbow grease probably won't get it done. I've used this on clubs, guitars, and my car.

Yah, I like to use the entire face of the club as you can see. Still working on those heel shots

Let me know when you find a magic driver that has ball speed retention way on the heel. I am in need.

For the longest time I never had a driver head cover so my driver was all kind of jacked up from my irons. So blemishes don't bother me.

Back