Slowest play, ever...

zeroputt

Reaction score
Handicap
12.6 GHIN
For my second round yesterday, I played in front of a scramble, nine players in five carts. I knew they were coming, so I booked a tee time before them. (As always, I was walking, with my Clicgear 3.5+.)

I was on the second green (about 15 minutes after I teed off) when they teed off on No. 1.

When I got to the ninth tee (about an hour and 15 minutes after I teed off) they were on… the second fairway.

When I got to the eighteenth green (about 2-1/2 hours after I teed off), they had just finished the fifth hole.

From what I saw, the whole group stayed together for each hole. At times, their carts looked like a wagon train rolling along, bumper-to-bumper. When they were, collectively, searching for a ball, it looked like… I don’t know what… a miniature no-contact demolition derby.

For them, it took 2-1/4 hours to play five holes. If they played 18 holes at that rate, the round would take… 8 hours.

I... I'm speechless....

As long as I'm not behind them then I could care less.

Were their names mikedean441 and ddec by chance?

I would have come off 18 and went right to 9 to play the back again for a 27 hole day :)

But I am wondering it must have been a mess and how were all the people waiting, what was anyone doing about it?

If they weren't holding anybody up and the course was ok with what they were doing, no skin off of anybody's back.

Collecting revenue. I don't think there was anyone behind them, and the regulars had been warned.

...what was anyone doing about it?

The course must have been completely empty, or else the pro shop wouldn't allow 9 golfers to back up the entire course. As long as they were having fun, not hurting the course, nor holding anyone up, I would have no problem with it.

Some people were probably heavily intoxicated by the 3d hole.

EDIT: To add to that, did a drink cart just become part of the caravan? That's a lot of people in one group who probably got hungry and thirsty.

~Rock

This story sounds a tad exaggerated. 30 minutes per hole?

Were their names mikedean441 and ddec by chance?

And back to using your own driver on Saturday.

Canadan and I played on Memorial day one year and finished just shy of 6 hours for 18.

We were the only 2 guys in a group of 12 that shot under 120

This story sounds a tad exaggerated. 30 minutes per hole?
9 players on a hole. I would sat it's going to be pretty accurate.

I waited 24 hours for that moment. Payoff was worth the wait.

The last course I played had some fine print on the score card that indicated the course should be completed within 2.5hrs. I can't remember if it was a suggestion or a mandate and now I can't find the card.

Can time limits be enforced?

I was at a wedding at one of the higher end country clubs here in the Sacramento foothills, and saw something like this take off late that saturday afternoon. A dozen guys (I counted) in 9 golf carts, 4 or 5 were custom not course rent carts. First tee shots all over the place then this crazy traffic mess out there for the second shots.

It would have made an awesome (and hilarious) high rez stop motion video with that tilt shift lens effect like this one...

http://vimeo.com/9679622

The last course I played had some fine print on the score card that indicated the course should be completed within 2.5hrs. I can't remember if it was a suggestion or a mandate and now I can't find the card.

Can time limits be enforced?

Yes, a course can ask you to leave at any time. Some will also make groups pick up and go to the next hole if they are behind.

Wow! That is the longest round by a couple hours I've ever heard of. I played in a scramble for work at TPC Harding Park in San Francisco yesterday that at 5:20 was almost painfully slow. To top it off, the 110 mile drive home took 4 hours - you couldn't pay me enough to live in San Francisco with all that traffic.

I was at a wedding at one of the higher end country clubs here in the Sacramento foothills, and saw something like this take off late that saturday afternoon. A dozen guys (I counted) in 9 golf carts, 4 or 5 were custom not course rent carts. First tee shots all over the place then this crazy traffic mess out there for the second shots.

It would have made an awesome (and hilarious) high rez stop motion video with that tilt shift lens effect like this one...

http://vimeo.com/9679622
Cue Yakety Sax :)

Yes, a course can ask you to leave at any time. Some will also make groups pick up and go to the next hole if they are behind.
Thank you, Hawk! :)

It was a few years ago at the World Am in Myrtle Beach (that should say it all). We were playing our 4th round of the tournament at a golf course about 20 minutes into NC. This was the year they tried 3-somes to try to speed up play. They had 32 3-somes. Didn't work. Front nine was 3 hours 45 minutes. When we pulled up to our 10th tee box, we were the 6th group in line...a few of us drove up and saw that one group had five open holes in front of them. The rangers were on them hard but they just cursed at the rangers and said this is a tournament and they can play at any speed they want. Found out later that about 10-12 guys left early because they had flights to catch and the airport is a good distance away. The course finally removed the slow group but out total time was 6 hours and 45 minutes. Played 4 rounds that year and the quickest round was 5 hours and 30 minutes. I never went back to the World Am after that..

As long as I'm not behind them then I could care less.

This^^^^ I could care less what happens behind me. There had to be a good reason why the course allowed this to happen.

The course must have been completely empty, or else the pro shop wouldn't allow 9 golfers to back up the entire course. As long as they were having fun, not hurting the course, nor holding anyone up, I would have no problem with it.
This sounds like my home course. I often play in the afternoons on the weekend and there is always the same group of guys (4 carts or more). They play at this time because the course in normally a boneyard . I normally walk and I have started behind them, and they politely let me play thru. IMO I see no problem unless they are slowing play, which they do not do.

Back