Smartphone or Smartpad

bama

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 8.9
so..I am sitting here trying to justify whether my lifestye/works style would be better suited to something like an Iphone or an Ipad...

Smartphone Pro's -Internet access at your finger tips, cool little apps, Social App realtime postings, realistic calendar and email, it is a phone

Smartphone con's - required monthly cost, being a slave to your internet device, size vs current bar phone..

~~Ipad Pro's (WiFi only) - no monthly cost, bigger screen for toting around office and home, work utilization is much better, no internet access at your hip??,

~~ Ipad Con's - not a phone, no internet access at your hip??, higher initial cost

I know some of you could not live without your Smartphone, but IMHO, I think that some people take it overboard. When I go out to dinner and see 40% of the people texting, surfing, etc. then I am thinking that maybe society is going too far.... I realize we created this society, but maybe it is time to pull back a bit???

Just my 2 cents...thanks for the inputs..

bama

I have both, awesome devices. But that's just me :) I love gadgets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not much help but I already have the iPhone and I could not imagine not having it. Using it for internet on the go, GPS, etc works great for me.

Regarding the iPad - we are getting ready to purchase one. It will be replacing the laptop that we use at the house. Replacing mainly due to availability of applications and size/performance in comparison to a standard laptop. Will also be going with the Wi-Fi only version.

I have been kicking around the ipad/tablet idea for a little while now and use it for my work as well as play, I think I am going for the one with internet access though still not 100% sure. OEM Kevin and Yoccos have been very helpful to talk with about it.

I haven't heard of many people getting a tablet before a smartphone. I think a smartphone is probably a better jumping-in point.
The main reason is that it's more portable, and you can always be online. mcook is right, I've never heard anyone with a smartphone say it wasn't worth upgrading, even at the extra monthly cost.

Depends on your needs? Personally, I'd get the phone first. In the end, one will only lead you to buying the other. When the iPad 1st came out I didn't see the need and viewed it as a bigger version of my phone. However... my opinion is changing. On nights when the wife is either in class or sitting next to be on the MacBook Pro and I'm using my phone to get on here, I wish I had the iPad. I'm at the point where I know I'll be buying the iPad, I'm just holding out and hoping that iPad3 has retina display.
Proof reading what I just wrote brings up another point... with a smart phone you'll be able to get onto THP anywhere, anytime... do you really need anymore reason to get one?

Hey man. Cool thing about most tablets is you can tether them to your smart phone and you dont have to pay for the 3g service for the tablets.

Ive gone through just about every tablet out there and ended up with a Blackberry Playbook. I do miss my Xoom at times but this right now fits my needs. Ipad's are great but I hated the idea of no flash. There are some workarounds for some sites but best to really weigh the pro's and cons of each device.

I guess it really comes down to the fact if I really need an Iphone or Ipad type device after sitting in front of a computer all day, and then getting on one at night when I get home....

Do I really need an electronic device for when I am sitting in the car at a traffic light, eating lunch at McDonalds...etc....

I know we are in the information age, but do we need to be inundated with it 19 hours/day??

I guess that is the question...Do I really need to be connected to the electronic world, in between times when I am connected to the electronic world..

Count me in on the crowd that has both! I've had the iPhone since the 3GS version came out and couldn't live without it, I too thought the IPad was just a lager version of the IPhone at first, but after seeing a coworker use his I changed my mind. I never carry a notepad to meetings any more, I take notes on my IPad, there are ups to do word processing, spreadsheets and so much more, heck I've built some custom documents is Adobe and turned them into forms that can be filled out on my IPad and when I hit done on them they are automatically email to more than 15 people, it saves me tons of time.

I'm using it right now!

I actually have a smartphone that I can tether with my 10.1" Asus netbook. The netbook is for travel so I don't have to lug around a fullsized laptop.

I like the internet far more than I like most people. I'd go for both.

Back