Southern Iowa Get Together Summer 2014

Ok....and I want to know who dropped that bomb in the clubhouse this morning..... 1. You almost killed Rambler. 2. You need to get that checked by a doctor ASAP.

From The HTC One Blue!

4a9utyhy.jpg
u7uzyqa3.jpg
a8ubugav.jpg
yvy3e8y4.jpg
a7a2ebuv.jpg

From The HTC One Blue!

Ok....and I want to know who dropped that bomb in the clubhouse this morning..... 1. You almost killed Rambler. 2. You need to get that checked by a doctor ASAP.

From The HTC One Blue!

Im glad I didnt venture back there.

~Rock

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Plans didn't go as plan SO after driving up to Ankeny, had lunch & drove home. Just walked in safe & sound. Tired. I'll post later

Plans didn't go as plan SO after driving up to Ankeny, had lunch & drove home. Just walked in safe & sound. Tired. I'll post later

Glad u made it back safe!

From The HTC One Blue!

Im glad I didnt venture back there.

~Rock

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Awful..... Worst I've ever experienced.

From The HTC One Blue!

From The HTC One Blue!
Something or someone died. Of this, I am sure.

OK. Made it home, grabbed some food, and cleaned-up. My head will be hitting the pillow shortly. Thanks to all for a great weekend.

got home a little while ago myself. thanks to Team IL for the company and for the ride! Will post more after I get some sleep. I will sleep well with the knowledge that Team IL took home the win.

Special thanks to The Mayor for putting together a great weekend and 2 cabins full of THPers to enjoy it with!

Ok, I'll start off with how the weekend went. So Friday, Bulldog decides to arrive early. Unfortunately, I had to work still, but managed to get out by noon and meet up with him. We enjoyed some free brats on the town square, and then headed off to the golf course. We got 9 holes in before dhartmann, manlai, and rambler arrived. Upon their arrival, we loaded up some more carts and played something like, another 9 holes. Then I think Illinimick arrived next, and at some point Icey and Woody showed up. We had more people than carts, but managed to make it work with a 3 club tournament. Not going to lie, I wasn't putting well trying to blade a 7 or 5 iron. dhartmann suggested I putt the 5 iron backwards and left handed, which actually worked pretty well from 10 feet and in. That's when I apparently amazed some on the par 4 7th. It's something like 365 yards long, hit a 5 iron off the tee. Stuck a 7 iron about 3-4 feet right of the pin. Putted with the 5 iron and made the birdie. I also nearly holed a putt on 9. Someone's ball was in my way on an 8 foot putt. I told them not to worry about marking it, took my 7 iron. I was trying to blade it, but was making sure I didn't hit the green (of course), hopped the ball nicely, and nearly rolled it in. It was a great day of golf on a small rural course.

We topped that off with what I hope was some good food for everyone. People started calling me The Mayor, and we headed to the cabin. 8 or more deer later and about 35 minutes of driving, we arrived. The cabins worked out far better than I originally imagined. Lots of open space in the living room/dining room for sitting, watching TV (in black and white), and just relaxing and having a good time trading stories. We went to bed, got up early-ish the next morning, and headed to golf, where Flying Wedge and TexasHacker were waiting for us.

Some warmed up on the range, I did not. We headed to the first tee, where my group consisted of me, sleuth, rambler and manlai. I hit off the tee well all morning, and really played quite well in all areas. It seemed like I followed sleuth off the majority of the tee shots, which made for great cart golf. We left many putts short, but always seemed to two putt. On the back, we vowed not to leave putts short, but all of a sudden, some of us were 3 putting or leaving long second putts. Personally, I went back to leaving it short. I shot 45 on the front and 48 on the back, and felt like it was a pretty good opening round. I had a quintuple bogey on the 3d hole, and to still shoot 93 means the majority of holes were played pretty well.

The afternoon round was not so great. I played with Bulldog, woody, and Illinimick. I must have wore out. I don't even know what I shot on the front, and I just flat out stopped playing at the 14th hole. My shoulders were getting sore (which is something I've never had happen before from golf) and I had pushed probably the past 6 tee shots into the prairie. Still, I had fun just riding along and chatting with Illinimick in the cart and watching everyone play golf. I was able to get more pictures taken as well. After golf, we all decided to head to a marina restaurant about 10 minutes away.

It was so hot in that restaurant. But the food hit the spot. We went back to the cabin, sat out on the front porch for awhile, and just chatted away. Another great day.

Sunday morning, we picked up the cabin, and thanks to everyone for helping with that, and headed back to the course. My decision to take off the last several holes on Saturday paid off for Sunday morning, as I was back to striking the ball well. It had rained the previous night, and the course was definitely more wet, but the greens were quicker. I had probably my best ball striking round of the entire weekend, especially my irons. My short game let me down, particularly putting, but still, I shot 87 and felt great about it. dhartmann played solid until late in the round and TexasHacker played equally well. We finished the round quite quickly. I think we may have played it in a bit over 3 hours. I spent a lot of time talking up the benefits of my Wilson 'no name' ball, and probably should have yelled "WILSON!" when I lost it in the weeds late in the round. TexasHacker had to take off after the round, so dhartmann and I waited on the 18th green for everyone to get done. We chatted in the parking lot for quite awhile, said our goodbyes, and I headed home.

I had the shortest drive, so I got home, and my wife and child arrived home from their weekend trip shortly after. It was great to see my family, and I was excited to play with my kid, although he had way more energy than I did. I was exhausted, the adrenaline that fuels a THP weekend had ended.

I'll post more later.

~Rock

Last edited:
Thanks to The Mayor for organizing a fun weekend of golf. I enjoyed seeing everyone and will cherish the fabulous prize received by the winning Team Illinois.

It was such a great experience I was glad to be back in Iowa playing golf with THPers!!!

On Friday I got out of my meeting earlier than I expected and down to Corydon in good time, they were all still out on the course and I was able to jump in on the 3 club challenge about to start, 5i, SW and putter seemed like good choices, at the time! Rock's home course is quite nice, it was a ton of fun, it was great to see old friend and meet new ones. I was still in my suit, so I threw on my THP cap and golf shoes, took off my tie, rolled up my sleeves and away I went! It was probably the most fun I have in 9 holes in quite sometime. And it might have been a bit slow as an 8 some, but I really didn't care about pace of play one bit!

Dinner was fun in Corydon, food was great and the company, as always, was even better. We shared a ton of stories and laughs. It wasn't as long of a drive as I expected to the cabins and they were gracious enough to let me crash on the couch! Watching the golf channel in B&W was kinda a weird, I forgot how nice it is to watch TV in color! A quick sleep off to the course.

The Preserve was a great layout, it was fun driving up the lane and seeing some of the holes as we drove by, lost of pararie and a few trees. And even some great water views throughout the holes. I played with Wedge, DHart and Woody, and what a fun round it was. I was sad I didn't get to stay and play 36, and off the road I hit for 5 hours back home on some 55mph highways, I'm thinking a little extra distance to the interstate will be beneficial for me the next time!

Overall I was so happy it worked out for me to attend, it was so much fun and I can't wait for IOWA 2015 and maybe start a new tradition of NEBRASKA 2015!!!

McRock - What a gracious host and thank you so much for putting this all together. A great guy, don't try and deny it, you are the Mayor of Corydon!!!
dhartmann34 - It was great to get to see you again, being in the presence of a THP hall of famer is something everyone should experience, JK, you rock man, I'm so glad we got to share a round on Sat AM. Whichever putter you choose, I know you'll keep avoiding those 3 putts.
Rambler - That's my Partna!!! And my husker brother!!! It was great to see you again, I was sad we couldn't share a round and the preserve, but we will do it again real soon. And thanks again for the Spotted Cow, such a tasty brew.
Bulldog - What can I say man, I have more fun being around you and playing golf with you, I'm so glad we got to do it again. You are quite entertaining, and couldn't be nicer. Don't worry, we'll still get you those naming rights on the Official Bulldog Talking Action Figure, we know a lawyer!!!
Manlai - It was awesome to meet you, I'm glad you made the trip, hopefully we get to tee it up again soon.
woody_74 - So happy we got to share a cart on Saturday, swapping stories and BSing is so much fun during a round of golf. Hopefully we can play in Mizzou real soon.
Illinimick - It was an absolute pleasure to get to meet you, Don't worry I won't cheer too hard against the Illini!!!
Flying Wedge - My seemore brother, it was so fun to meet you, I sure hope we get to tee it up again real soon, just remember, only listen to one voice in your head.
Sleuth - I know it was brief, but I was happy to meet you, hopefully we can connect again the next time I'm through IOWA!!!
TH - What can I say buddy, it had been far too long, I was glad we could connect a bit before the round and we need to tee it up in KC real soon. And thanks for the hand delivery as well, I know you were running on no sleep, but we couldn't tell!

IOWA SWAG!!!

ICEY... Anytime you want to come to KC you know I am up for it dude.

1385563_10151946706815629_444398436_n.jpg

This hole was a nemesis all weekend... Into the wind 3 consecutive rounds? Sheesh!

This picture makes it look soooo much easier than it is....Although I believe I was able to play it -1 through the 3 rounds....That tee shot is pretty intimidating.

1385563_10151946706815629_444398436_n.jpg

This hole was a nemesis all weekend... Into the wind 3 consecutive rounds? Sheesh!

This is short & out of character. .
BUT
YA ALL ARE WHY I DRIVE TO MAKE THESE! !!!!!!!

In no particular order

FlyingWedge - I think you are the only one I didn't get to golf with. Someone needs to complain to whoever set up the groups. Thanks for coming down. I'm glad you didn't have to sleep in the bed of your truck. You are calm and cool as always. Forget those first 8 holes, it's the last 11 that sound pretty awesome to me. And yes, that restaurant was hot. It's always a pleasure to have you around and I hope you're able to make future events wherever they may be.

Icey - you looked pretty dapper while playing golf on Friday. Probably the best dressed person to ever set foot on the Corydon golf course. Thanks for fitting Iowa into your weekend, it was awesome to have you around.

Woody - I suspect you killed the Preserve bathroom but just won't admit it. Jk, I literally have no idea and didn't hear about it until after the round. I'm glad you made it up. You always seem to have so much fun when playing. Always the optimist.

Prince Hartmann - I am the Mayor. Thanks for coming and helping get some people to this event. I'm glad your back held up. You still have serious game, even though you were wearing out late Sunday. I'm pretty sure you have a new putter for life. Enjoy those Noodle Long and Soft balls.

Rambler - you hit the ball, really far. You should know that when I told you to aim at the dead trees on that par 5, not many people can actually drive it through the fairway. Another guy with serious game, I know you struggled on the short game some, but I think we all did. It's possible the course was wet, or at least I'm blaming it on that. Thanks for coming down here, I'd tee it up with you anytime.

manlai - first off, that ice cream sandwich (the big bopper) was money. Thank your for getting us all ice cream treats. After a long, hot, humid and windy day of golf, I know that totally hit the spot for me, and I suspect it did for everyone else as well. Thanks for coming down. You are officially a member of Team Pink, as designated by the Mayor. I know you had some struggles this weekend, but it sounds like things improved for Sunday.

sleuth - you still play really well. How many fairways for Saturday, like 24 of 26? Also, at least off the tee, we may be the best cart golf duo of all time. I honestly had not been driving the ball well leading up to this event, somehow, being in your presence seemed to fix it for me. Come down anytime, or more accurately, maybe I need to come up there.

Illinimick - another optimist. Hawkeyes still rule, but you are one Illini that I'm glad to know. Thanks for putting up with my 'interesting' play Saturday afternoon. You kept it entertaining, and also kept me entertained while I just rode along in the cart those last few holes. You are a genuinely nice guy, and even though it would eat me for lunch, the blue and orange course is on my list now.

bulldog - one of the most genuine friendly guys ever. I wouldn't want to be on his bad side, but I think it takes a lot to get there. Dude, thanks for the gift for my son. I tried to take a picture of him with it, but they were all super blurry because he likes to "make it fly." Good call on the brats Friday afternoon, and for whatever reason, my cart worked pretty well with you there. In golf, there are good times and bad times. Hopefully you were still having a good time during your bad golf. Sounds like you killed it Sunday morning. It wouldn't be a true THP gathering without Bulldog around.

Texashacker - you are insane. It seems like you come into every event with only a couple hours of sleep and then play golf all day. I'm glad you were able to make it. It's always awesome getting to talk with you during and after the rounds. Someday, I will make it to KC since it really is not that far.

Thank you to everyone for making it, and thanks for all of your thanks. I have new appreciation for THP event organizers. I wouldn't call it hard, but it can be time consuming. But in the end, the fact that you all had a good time is all the thanks I need. It was totally worth it.

I know I'm forgetting lots of stories from the weekend, perhaps others will remember better than I. Thanks everyone for another great THP weekend. The time always flies by, and I can't wait for the next one, wherever it may be.

~Rock

I can say with absolute truth that it was not me at the Preserve bathroom. I only heard stories didn't experience it myself. I had such a great time at this event and one day I will play better golf hopefully.

What a great weekend of golf! First, thanks to McRock for pulling together the arrangements, and to Dhartmann for reminding me about it a few times, while I tried to work out my schedule.

Friday started early for the Northern IL Express, cruising thru Volo (Dhartmann), then onto Elgin (manlai), before the jaunt to Iowa. We had a brief stop at a Menards, in Davenport, to buy a putter. (Yes, that was a little weird, but it was great to meet JRod). We drove thru some intermittent monsoons, hoping that the courses weren't going to be bogged down.

Arrived in Rock's Corydon (emphasis placed on ownership - shaking hands and kissing babies!). Really enjoyed playing McRock's home course. It takes golf back to the basics, and was a lot of fun. While we didn't keep score for the 3 club tourney/challenge, we all hit some good shots and some bad shots - I went with 3 hybrid, 7i, and putter. Multiple chips/pitches with the 7i convinced me that I will choose a 9i next time. (see what I did there?). I have never played as an 8-some, but having everyone play together added to the laughter. It was great to meet Bulldog, Woody_74, and IlliniMick. My Indy partner IceyShanks joined as well - great to see you again, Kyle. I'm thinking a Bobby Jones -esque round should be in the cards, with everyone sporting a tucked tie and proper dress clothes, just not when ots over 80 deg.

Dinner in downtown Corydon was pretty darn good - the ribs were so tender. On to Foxtail Cabins near Rathbun Lake. Great accommodations! Lots of conversation and laughs before calling it a night.

The Preserve golf course was something else - I love prairie style courses, so the design and layout were right up my alley. 2 rounds on Saturday? Yes, please! First round, I was paired with McRock, manlai, and Sleuth. Except for some of the bunkers, the course had handled the excessive rain very well. We all had some moments, good and bad; regardless of how we played, I had a great time with you guys. McRock and Sleuth, it was great meeting both of you. Manlai, it was good to play another round with you, bud. Hot dog at the turn was quality and needed to be ready for round 2... Played the afternoon round with Texashacker and Flying Wedge. Had the opportunity to play with Wedge at the SeeMore Extravaganza, really nice to have an opportunity to tee it up with you, again, so soon after Nashville - doesn't always work that way with THPers so spread out. Texashacker is indeed a Callaway homer, and he shouldn't make any apologies for it! Was great to meet you and watch that Big Bertha launch some missiles.

Dinner at the marina was soooo welcome after a long day of golf. Pasta salad was pretty darn good, and the burger hit the spot. Topping dinner with a little ice cream was oh so good! Back to the cabins for more chatter, laughing, and some quality frosty beverages. I crashed a bit earlier than most and had a good night's sleep.

Round 3 at The Preserve was a little more wet than the first two due to the extra rain on Saturday night. Even with that, the greens were rolling faster than Saturday (a welcome change for those of us leaving a lot of putts short on Saturday). Teed it up with Flying Wedge and IlliniMick. We played some good golf and some.... meh golf. Was good to see Wedge finish the round strong. Everyone gathered at the round conclusion (Sorry didn't get to see you off Texashacker) for some closing laughter and we were on our way. Didn't take manlai long to doze off, and I followed suit with Dhartmann taking the helm. Getting back into IL, Dhartmann and I agreed that we were up for another 18 holes, but timing wasn't on our side.

This really was a great way for me to close out a busy THP month. True, it wasn't an official THP event, but the feeling was very much the same with lots of golf talk, and a lot of laughter - my cheeks were hurting during the 3 club tourney/challenge... Gotta get to work on the Bulldog app and talking action figure.

I've enjoyed the updates guys. Good times for sure. Wish I could have been there as well. Luckily these get-togethers are never a one time event.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

IOWA will always be a special place for me, wish I could have made it. Would have been much more fun than Baltimore or D.C. Glad you all had a great time!

really wish I would have made this trip but I am sure the prince as you call him told you I spent this months golf money on a new harley davidson so I was not going to push the envelope with my lovely bride on a golf trip. thanks for the updates I am going to make it next time . now who killed the snake lol

really wish I would have made this trip but I am sure the prince as you call him told you I spent this months golf money on a new harley davidson so I was not going to push the envelope with my lovely bride on a golf trip. thanks for the updates I am going to make it next time . now who killed the snake lol

Money says it was someone in Derek's group, but obviously not Derek. :alien:

Back