The shop where I bought mine will check them for free for life. That said, I've had one set checked, They are on factory specs, and the checker told me that brand seldom
comes in OOS or changes from play.

One other thing - is there a pattern? For example, are most clubs strong vs spec? Car manufacturers have been "suspected" of doing stuff like that for the specific vehicle to be reviewed by a magazine.

Never have.
Care to share the 2 brands?

It’s part of why I got a Mitchell Loft and Lie as well as a quality digital SW scale, that way I can check everything that comes in for review and general purchase.

Most recently the new Hogan’s were way off.
Great. This won't be in my head tomorrow. Nope. Not at all.

Great. This won't be in my head tomorrow. Nope. Not at all.
Meh, most would never know. If worried, go get them checked.

I used to check them, but no longer have access to the equipment needed. When I was checking, I was pretty amazed at how far from spec some clubs were.

I think this discussion has been had in the past and I was under the impression that depending on the machine and the person doing things the numbers can be totally different on the same club. I do believe it was JB that said that, is that not still the case? how do you know who is right and who is wrong?
Now I realize that the Mitchel is top of the line and should be correct, but isn't it also how the club is clamped in? Not trying to question the results Jman saw or JB just trying to verify what was stated previously, obviously you both have done this a lot and know the proper way to do things but would Joe Smoothie at Dick's know? Can he be trusted to not make things worst?

Not often enough considering the softness of the Hogan forgings. Very limited access so probably only once every 6 months at the most.

There's no one within an hours drive that offers that. :(

The Mizuno MP20s were dead on as was the JPX 900s that came from Club Champion. The Callaway Apex Pro 16s I was playing a few years ago were + 2 SW points off and a degree + off loft and lie. I fixed that when I pulled the shafts.

I never have, but am planning on checking the new irons that are on their way when they get here. I was just checking yesterday on where to take them, looking for a place I can trust in the greater Sacramento area.

I think this discussion has been had in the past and I was under the impression that depending on the machine and the person doing things the numbers can be totally different on the same club. I do believe it was JB that said that, is that not still the case? how do you know who is right and who is wrong?
Now I realize that the Mitchel is top of the line and should be correct, but isn't it also how the club is clamped in? Not trying to question the results Jman saw or JB just trying to verify what was stated previously, obviously you both have done this a lot and know the proper way to do things but would Joe Smoothie at Dick's know? Can he be trusted to not make things worst?
Most use places and companies use Mitchell. Now, could someone use it wrong? Sure, if they’re never read how the machines are supposed to be used or how to ensure you’ve properly set the club head into the machine. That said, when things can vary machine to machine, it’s usually minor and uniform through a set, when you get a set that’s all over the place, it’s not the user.

The Mizuno MP20s were dead on as was the JPX 900s that came from Club Champion. The Callaway Apex Pro 16s I was playing a few years ago were + 2 SW points off and a degree + off loft and lie. I fixed that when I pulled the shafts.
Every order I’ve ever had through Mizuno has been spot on. Them and PING with their WRX department are always spot on.

Now, off the shelf with PING can be a whole different ball of wax.

Most use places and companies use Mitchell. Now, could someone use it wrong? Sure, if they’re never read how the machines are supposed to be used or how to ensure you’ve properly set the club head into the machine. That said, when things can vary machine to machine, it’s usually minor and uniform through a set, when you get a set that’s all over the place, it’s not the user.

Agree totally. For instance, my Golf Mechanix Loft and Lie was a different reading than my Mitchell. Not by much mind you, but I wanted to use the same device used by most OEMs and the largest fitter in the country. Some of the cheaper loft and lie units I have seen, the seating of the club is quite different and I have seen some peculiar readings.

Every order I’ve ever had through Mizuno has been spot on. Them and PING with their WRX department are always spot on.

Now, off the shelf with PING can be a whole different ball of wax.
I was so impressed when Mizuno actually called me to tell me that they cannot get my MP-20 irons to the swing weight I requested since they were 1.5" over standard - they wanted to know if I wanted to shorten everything by 1/2" or go with a higher swing weight. I was less concerned with that and more concerned with consistency with the set. It was pretty impressive that they actually took the time to call me and get it right instead of just shipping them. They all came in exactly at the swing weight we agreed to.

@JB Thank you for starting this thread today. I was thinking of doing it in the near future when I was playing a few weeks ago. I had some time to burn with my girls before my wife got off work, so I went to the store/fitter that I purchased my irons to have them checked and bent if need be.

Earlier in the thread I said I was hitting my 7 and PW flush every time and sure enough they were spot on for lie. The rest were anywhere from .5 to 1.5 degrees off.

After they were reset to proper lofts and lies, we headed to the range and I had this nice strike pattern
7886B59B-1E18-4329-9E95-05A740DD749D.jpeg

After they were reset to proper lofts and lies, we headed to the range and I had this nice strike pattern
For some reason I kind of doubt your strike pattern is ever consistently too far off ......... :drinks:

I'm due for a spec check. It's been 7-8 months. I just assume though when the shots goes bad, it was me and not the club. Most of it comes from me thinking way too much and just bailing on the shot than it does the club ripping through the turf at too upright an angle.

I always get them checked when I get a new sdt and bent to the spec I want. However, I never go get them checked at a later date. The good news is that it has been a couple years since I had a single set in my bag for a 2nd season

I've never had mine checked

I check mine at least once a month, depending on how many times I've played. I just rechecked mine last week & they were off a lot. I was wondering why I kept hitting the ball right ALL the time. The lie was off :rolleyes:
Wow, I do mine every 6 months and thought that was enough. I play on average 3 X a week. Also some practice but never off mats. I normally don’t see a lot of movement. Have been told a lot of practice on mats can wreak havoc on specs.

I have not had any of my clubs checked since they were built and shipped to me. I really should go have them checked out soon.

I have loft and lie checked at the beginning of each year. Head weight or swing weight I’ve never checked or worried about. I know what feels “heavy or light” but for me loft and lie are the most important

Never have, and to be honest, never really felt the need to.

I have loft and lie checked at the beginning of each year. Head weight or swing weight I’ve never checked or worried about. I know what feels “heavy or light” but for me loft and lie are the most important

Can weights change?

Can weights change?
No they can’t that I’m aware of. I mentioned swing weight in terms of a new product and rushing out to check them to see if the OEM got it right.

Back