Squire Creek Country Club Review - Choudrant, LA

bhilton

Reaction score
Handicap
I've had a couple of request for some pictures of my home course from several people. I thought I would just make it into a review of the course. I was able to talk my wife into going out there with me to take pictures while we played (I think she's only seen the course twice since we joined about 2 1/2 years ago). She missed taking pictures of the first couple of holes and some others she didn't get very good pictures of, so I may come back and add those later. Many of the azaleas bushes are blooming now, so it was the perfect time to get pictures. We've had some strange cooler temperatures this year that we don't usually have, so the grass hasn't completely greened up yet, but it's getting there.

A little information about the course. It's a Tom Fazio design and it's been open for about 10 years now. The greens are 'Tifeagle' Bermuda greens. Usually in the summer, the greens are rolling anywhere from 12-13 on the stimpmeter, but I'm hearing they may not speed them up that much this year. We have a Teaching facility where we have Trackman set up and just got some new Ping fitting gear as well. There's more about the course and more pictures on their site www.squirecreek.com.

Hole 1 is a slight dogleg right par 4. It has fairway bunkers on both sides of the fairway in the landing zones, so accuracy is key. The fairway is pretty wide, though. It also has a pond on the right side of the hole that starts about at the 100 yard marker and goes past the green, so you can't be right either.

Black tees - 388
Blue tees - 368
White tees - 346
Gold tees - 328
Green tees - 304

Hole 2 is a par 5. It has a creek that guards the front, back, and left side of the green and runs back in the middle of the fairway to split the fairway at about the 100 yard marker, so it definitely comes into play on your second shot. There's a fairway bunker on the right that comes into play on the tee shot. It's reachable in two, especially for the longer hitters, but depending on where the flag is, many times it's not worth the risk. There is a pretty good bailout are on the right of the green in case you want to try, though.

Black tees - 528
Blue tees - 496
White tees - 472
Gold tees - 449
Green tees - 415

Hole 3 is a downhill par 3. The green slopes pretty severely from back to front. If the pin is on the front, and you are on the back, you'll be lucky to get a par. It has a creek that runs in front of the green and a marshy wetland area from the tee box to the creek, so you have to fly it the whole way over the hazard.

Black tees - 194 yards
Blue tees - 185 yards
White tees - 163 yards
Gold tees - 140 yards
Green tees - 118 yards

DSCI0073.jpg

Hole 4 is a straight par 4. The fairway slopes right to left, so if you hit a good looking tee shot down the left side, chances are you'll be in the rough on your next shot. It has a fairway bunker guarding the right side, however. Longer hitters can carry the bunker. There's a severe downhill in the fairway, and if your tee shot reaches it, you'll get another 30-40 yards of roll to leave you with a shorter, yet uphill, approach. The green is guarded by 3 bunkers on the left side.

Black tees - 438
Blue tees - 404
White tees - 373
Gold tees - 344
Green tees - 315

Hole 5 is the second par 3. It's a shorter, downhill par 3, but that doesn't make it easier. It has a creek guarding the front of the green with 3 bunkers, one in front and two left. The azaleas that surround the back of the green were much bigger a couple of years ago, but for some reason they cut them back.

Black tees - 175
Blue tees - 148
White tees - 124
Gold tees - 94
Green tees - 86

DSCI0083.jpg

Hole 6 is a shorter par 4. It has a creek that borders the right side of the hole and a waste bunker on the right. It also has 3 fairway bunkers on the left. The green is guarded by bunkers on the front right and the front left. The tee shot placement is crucial on this hole depending on where the flag is.

Black tees - 366
Blue tees - 338
White tees - 312
Gold tees - 284
Green tees - 271

Hole 7 is a long par 4. It has two fairway bunkers on the right, but most people can't reach them from the tee. During the winter months, it's not uncommon for me to hit driver, 5 wood into this green. It has a greenside bunker guarding the front left side of the green. If the pin is on the left side of the green and you hit your approach right, you may have to play about 8-10 feet of break on your putt to get anywhere near the hole.

Black tees - 464
Blue tees - 433
White tees - 400
Gold tees - 366
Green tees - 340

DSCI0100.jpg

Hole 8 is another par 4. It has two fairway bunkers on the right and one on the left. It has a creek that runs in front of the tee boxes and then down the left side of the hole. The green is guarded by a bunker on the front left.

Black tees - 405
Blue tees - 378
White tees - 356
Gold tees - 332
Green tees - 302

Hole 9 is an uphill par 5. If you go right off the tee, you have to carry the water, if you go left, there is a bunker. There are also 3 other fairway bunkers (2 on the right and 1 on the left) but they won't come into play off the tee. The green is guarded by a deep bunker on the front right.

Black tees - 546
Blue tees - 519
White tees - 490
Gold tees - 467
Green tees - 431

DSCI0104.jpg

Hole 10 is a par 4 with a blind tee shot. There's a fairway bunker on the right that you can see from the tee, but if you go left of it, it drops off downhill. It's a straight hole. The green is divided into two levels and the back of it is guarded by a creek. You typically want to play one less club on your approach.

Black tees - 447
Blue tees - 403
White tees - 393
Gold tees - 352
Green tees - 318

Hole 11 is a dogleg right par 5. It has 6 fairway bunkers on the right and 1 on the left that come into play off the tee. It also has a big waste bunker on the right, but you have to go way right to get there. Longer hitters can reach the green in two, but it's best to just lay up to a distance you like and play from there. However, there are two fairway bunkers on the right side of the fairway that come into play on the lay up shot. This green also has two levels. If the pin is on the right (top level), that's when the hole is hardest. The green also has a deep bunker guarding the front left.

Black tees - 559
Blue tees - 526
White tees - 491
Gold tees - 464
Green tees - 431

DSCI0116.jpg

Hole 12 is a par 3. There's a creek that runs down the middle of the hole and cuts in front of the green. There are bunkers on the right and front left of the green. This is the hole where I got my first ace last year.

Black tees - 185
Blue tees - 162
White tees - 136
Gold tees - 126
Green tees - 105

DSCI0123.jpg

Hole 13 is a short par 4, but it's definitely not easy. There's two fairway bunkers on the right and one on the left. The ones on the right definitely come into play. You can take a fairway wood at the left bunker and you should come up just short of it. The approach shot is uphill and there is a severe false front on the front of the green. If you come up short of the pin, expect to see your ball come rolling back down the hill. The green has bunkers on both sides.

Black tees - 356
Blue tees - 334
White tees - 321
Gold tees - 297
Green tees - 278

Hole 14 is a par 4 with a lake running down the left side of the hole. If you miss the fairway left, chances are your ball will roll down the hill into the water. There are two pine trees just off the right side of the fairway that could block your approach if you push your tee shot right. This green has 2 bunkers on the left of it and one on the front right.

Black tees - 405
Blue tees - 364
White tees - 350
Gold tees - 337
Green tees - 298

DSCI0135.jpg

Hole 15 is a dogleg left par 4 with the same lake bordering the left side. It also has a huge fairway bunker running down the left side that could actually help you if you pull your tee shot left. It will catch some balls and keep them from going in the water. There is also a fairway bunker on the right. The green has water left and a couple of greenside bunkers right.

Black tees - 427
Blue tees - 401
White tees - 375
Gold tees - 361
Green tees - 325

DSCI0151.jpg

Hole 16 is a very difficult par 3. It has water surrounding the front, left, and back of the green with a bunker in the front as well. It plays downhill, but many times straight into the wind. I've hit anywhere from a PW - 5i from the same tees on this hole. The green has two tiers, and when the pin is back, your best bet is to land it on the front and let it roll to the bottom tier to avoid going into the water.

Black tees - 205
Blue tees - 170
White tees - 156
Gold tees - 133
Green tees - 111

DSCI0160.jpg

Hole 17 is a straight par 5 with more than its fair share of bunkers. I think there are 13 bunkers on this hole total. 3 of them are greenside bunkers and the other 10 are fairway bunkers. It is reachable for the longer hitters. This hole is a good demonstrator of how the bunkers are set up on this course. Almost all of them have really high lips to hit over, so you usually want to be in the back of the bunker to be able to get enough club to advance. As you can see in the pictures of this hole, you can see all the bunkers from the tee box, but none of them from the green. It is like this on every hole.

Black tees - 561
Blue tees - 528
White tees - 497
Gold tees - 473
Green tees - 421

DSCI0161.jpg

DSCI0169.jpg

Hole 18 is a dogleg left par 4. It has two fairway bunkers on the right and one on the left. If you hit a good drive over the left bunker, you can hit a little chute that will take your ball another 30 or 40 yards down the fairway. However, if you miss it a little left, it can put you right behind some pine trees. The green has 3 bunkers (2 on right, 1 on left).

Black tees - 456
Blue tees - 425
White tees - 392
Gold tees - 361
Green tees - 326

DSCI0172.jpg

After the round, you can visit the pro shop, have a bite to eat in the Fazio Grill, or get a drink from the 19th hole. The also have a formal dining room, library, and a wine cellar. Here are a few pics of the clubhouse.

From 9 green
DSCI0108.jpg

The back of the clubhouse from the practice green
DSCI0179.jpg

The front entry into the clubhouse
DSCI0185.jpg

Overall, this is a really fun and challenging place to play golf. They take very good care of this course and you very rarely have a bad lie anywhere. I'm lucky to be a member there.

I wish the grass was green and all the azaleas were in full bloom when these pictures were taken a couple of weeks ago, but with these colder temperatures, it's really screwed things up a little. Maybe they will look better next year and I can get some better pictures.

Wow, nice course bhilton. Those first two pics actually remind me of Augusta a bit - I bet even more so when the place is all green with everything fully blooming! I would, like you, be very proud to be a member here.

Very nice review Brian! Looks like a cool course, my favorite hole from the pics is #5, that short par 3.

You are one lucky son-of-a-gun to be a member there! Easily the best course in Louisiana! We need to get some of those Dallas boys to come this way, pay the $100 guest fee, and show them some Louisiana hospitality. Eat some crawfish after, drink some beer... Yep, a good old Louisiana shin-dig! Of course, I'm not the member!!!!

You are one lucky son-of-a-gun to be a member there! Easily the best course in Louisiana! We need to get some of those Dallas boys to come this way, pay the $100 guest fee, and show them some Louisiana hospitality. Eat some crawfish after, drink some beer... Yep, a good old Louisiana shin-dig! Of course, I'm not the member!!!!

That sounds good to me. You can't beat some crawfish and golf.

Great looking course. I may try to play.

Very nice course and great review. Looks like a great club to belong to.

That's a nice looking track, great review!

Those flowers add quite a bit of color to the course, thanks for posting

Those flowers add quite a bit of color to the course, thanks for posting

I just wish they would stay a little longer. They are almost all gone now.

Thanks for the photos and write-up. It is a great looking course. Looks like tons of fun.

Tried to reply, not sure why it didn't take. I live about an hour from there, my boss has won the club championship there before. Great track, If it were closer I'd join.

Tried to reply, not sure why it didn't take. I live about an hour from there, my boss has won the club championship there before. Great track, If it were closer I'd join.

What part of LA you from? I'm guessing the Shreveport area since you said you live an hour away. Feel free to come over some time and we'll go play a round.

Back