Srixon pro's don't play Srixon woods??

jschiele01

Reaction score
Handicap
After seeing Hideki blister drives on the weekend, I wanted to see what driver he played. Callaway and not Srixon!? So I checked out other Srixon pro's bags. None of them play Srixon drivers or woods!!!!! Why is that? There has to be something in the Z line to suit these pros...

not all contracts are 14 clubs contracts, some only have to rep the bag, others a few clubs.

Too add to what MPlefty said, very few contracts are 14 club contracts compared to the rest

Too add to what MPlefty said, very few contracts are 14 club contracts compared to the rest

Totally agree but it does seem odd that none of their pro's (if true) use their woods.

Totally agree but it does seem odd that none of their pro's (if true) use their woods.

It could be a couple things. Could be other companies jumping on the opportunity to get their clubs in a bag where they know there is an open spot

What does that say about their woods if none of their pros will put it in the bag? I mean Streelman put a driver in the bag that some guy off the street created...

It's pretty simple I think. Either:
A) He's getting paid to play the Callaway.
Or
B) the Callaway is better for him than the Srixon offerings

It's pretty simple I think. Either:
A) He's getting paid to play the Callaway.
Or
B) the Callaway is better for him than the Srixon offerings

JB confirmed in the WITB thread he isn't being payed by callaway or TaylorMade. He has had Japanese models of Srixon drivers in his bag in the past.

For the rest some are on hat and ball deals, others on similar bit with irons and wedges. It's all about contracts and IMO money. If another brand offers $5k per tournament to,play their driver and it works for his and another company offers $3k for theirs and it works that $2k to some guys is huge

JB confirmed in the WITB thread he isn't being payed by callaway or TaylorMade. He has had Japanese models of Srixon drivers in his bag in the past.

For the rest some are on hat and ball deals, others on similar bit with irons and wedges. It's all about contracts and IMO money. If another brand offers $5k per tournament to,play their driver and it works for his and another company offers $3k for theirs and it works that $2k to some guys is huge
Obviously I can't speak to how much he wants the money but if I had to guess I'd say hes using the club that performs best for him.

Obviously I can't speak to how much he wants the money but if I had to guess I'd say hes using the club that performs best for him.

Maybe, but when you know that the "in the bag fee" you will get for playing that driver for an entire tournament will cover your expenses, even if it leaves some yards on the table, it's tempting. I know what I would do...$$$...

I think it could be a positive as the company is supporting their athletes and letting them play what the feel will make them successful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe, but when you know that the "in the bag fee" you will get for playing that driver for an entire tournament will cover your expenses, even if it leaves some yards on the table, it's tempting. I know what I would do...$$$...

But say that club saves you just one stroke. That one stroke can be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars

But say that club saves you just one stroke. That one stroke can be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars
The guys on tour who need to make that decision know who they are. Hideki is not worried about securing exemptions for next week. For the guys that are, pay dem bills.

see, that's where i come at it from as well. and it's why i really want to know what these guys actually get paid for using the pay-for-play clubs. let's say it is $5k per tournament. i think hideki played in 23 tournaments last year, so that's $115,000. as you point out, the difference between 2nd and 3rd at the waste management open was $268,000, more than double what he would get paid for using the pay-for-play driver all year. it just doesn't make any sense to me that these guys are willing to forego playing the best for their game just to make another $100k.

now, the guys way down the money list or who aren't sure whether they're going to be t10 or mc next week and aren't rolling in sponsorship money, i can see it making a difference.

I don't fault him, I like seeing the mixed bags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not taking what JB said about not being paid into consideration - I would have almost guaranteed he's not being paid to use that driver. Last year he had the entire bottom of the head blacked out so you couldn't tell what it was, and it's still that way now, just worn off more. That would be a super weird endorsement.

I know that, but you'd think Srixon would have an option they'd want to play.

Who's to say they don't? But simply go with the added income elsewhere?

Srixon makes damn good metalwoods.

Who's to say they don't? But simply go with the added income elsewhere?

Srixon makes damn good metalwoods.
I agree, that's why it was shocking when I checked out most of the pros on Srixon's website WITB's and found they were playing other brands metal woods. Does anybody know of a pro that does play Srixon woods?

I agree, that's why it was shocking when I checked out most of the pros on Srixon's website WITB's and found they were playing other brands metal woods. Does anybody know of a pro that does play Srixon woods?

Keegan played Cleveland woods for the longest time. I think he might still play a 3 wood. but he recently switched into an M2 driver.

McDowell as of last year (not sure if it's still current) was playing the zF45 Fw's.

Didnt he win last year?
I don't know. Perhaps he did*. I just remember reading a whole lot about him a couple years back and then it was like he was gone. I guess he's currently ranked 87th in the world.

*ETA: The win counted for the 2016 season, but occurred in Nov 2015.

It's like he's dropped off the face of the earth the past couple of years.

He won the Mayakoba in 2015. But other than that, he's been rocky.

I don't know. Perhaps he did*. I just remember reading a whole lot about him a couple years back and then it was like he was gone. I guess he's currently ranked 87th in the world.

*ETA: The win counted for the 2016 season, but occurred in Nov 2015.

He had a new baby and was focused on that and has been playing well on both sides of the oceans lately

Back