Srixon Z 545 Irons Preview

So just looked at specs from Apex & Z545 swing weight. According to Callaway's website Apex with Graphite SW is D0 and Srixon lists Z545's with steel swing weight at D3. So I wasn't off with feeling them heavier.

So just looked at specs from Apex & Z545 swing weight. According to Callaway's website Apex with Graphite SW is D0 and Srixon lists Z545's with steel swing weight at D3. So I wasn't off with feeling them heavier.

I am guessing with the Nippon 950 that you are probably about a point lower at D2. That is what most of mine with Recoil 95 came in at. I actually found them a little light for my liking and bumped then up with lead tape to D3. Tomorrow will be my first round with them at that swing weight. My previous set was Mizuno JPX800 Pro with TT GS95 (very comparable to your Nippons) that I weighed before I sold them and they were D2.5 down to 7i then D3 8 - PW.

I am guessing with the Nippon 950 that you are probably about a point lower at D2. That is what most of mine with Recoil 95 came in at. I actually found them a little light for my liking and bumped then up with lead tape to D3. Tomorrow will be my first round with them at that swing weight. My previous set was Mizuno JPX800 Pro with TT GS95 (very comparable to your Nippons) that I weighed before I sold them and they were D2.5 down to 7i then D3 8 - PW.

Makes sense. I never really checked or worried about the swing weight, I was always concerned with flight and feel.

I'm curious now to see what my apex with recoil 95 are vs the Z545 Nippons.

Good stuff Mike.....there is some weight in these bad boys!!

Makes sense. I never really checked or worried about the swing weight, I was always concerned with flight and feel.

I'm curious now to see what my apex with recoil 95 are vs the Z545 Nippons.

My guess is the D0 you saw for the Apex with graphite was a lighter shaft than our Recoil 95. IIRC, the Apex stock steel shaft was a XP 95 so likely wasn't much of a SW difference from what you had with the Recoil 95. A lot of it also has to do with how the weight is distributed in the shaft that relates to feel I believe. My old irons "felt" a little heavier to me even though the swing weights are virtually identical within .5 (which is very nominal in our world).

Good stuff Mike.....there is some weight in these bad boys!!

Yep. I need the Recoils in to compare apples to apples, but I will adjust in the meantime.

Like you, Mike, I also noticed that slightly heavier feel when I took the 545s out to the range for the first time. I, too, have the Nippon 950's in mine and my miss right away was a heavier shot. Took a little bit to adjust coming from the lighter Apex/Recoil 680 combo. Like you said, even with a heavier impact the ball actually didn't come up too terribly short and was dead on line. I'll take that miss all day long! I'm also planning to switch out the Lamkin grips. They are chewing up my gloves like crazy. Just love my Dri-Tacs.

I'm gonna have these out on the course tomorrow when I play the Cowboys Club here in DFW. Anxious to see how they perform in my first real round on the course.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts. To compensate for the heavier shots I stood a little further aways at address. It never felt comfortable as I saw some casting issues, but that seemed to minimize the heavy shots. I definitely need more range time to find that perfect set up.

All in all these irons are legit and have a feeling the shaft change will give me the weight relief I need however minimal it might be. Also the Dri-Tacs are 48 gms vs the 52 gms for the Red UTx. Again nominal, but adds to the overall weight.

Just spent some time reading the review and looking at the lofts and trying to decide on a potential set up if these were to become my new clubs. I can get a set of 5-PW for £449 from the club that fits them locally but I need to check for any options and costs (grips, shafts, etc) but based on my current bag I would consider adding the 4i as well to sit between the 5i and my 5w, or maybe look at a hybrid for the first time

At the other end of the bag, with the PW being 44 degrees I would need to look at adding new wedges so for those who have got them, what wedge setup did you go for? With the current thoughts in set, I would have space for 3 wedges

Just spent some time reading the review and looking at the lofts and trying to decide on a potential set up if these were to become my new clubs. I can get a set of 5-PW for £449 from the club that fits them locally but I need to check for any options and costs (grips, shafts, etc) but based on my current bag I would consider adding the 4i as well to sit between the 5i and my 5w, or maybe look at a hybrid for the first time

At the other end of the bag, with the PW being 44 degrees I would need to look at adding new wedges so for those who have got them, what wedge setup did you go for? With the current thoughts in set, I would have space for 3 wedges

I weakened all lofts 1 degree from 5i - PW to make the PW play at 45 degrees. That way I could keep the wedge set up at my comfort level of 50 - 54 - 58. Also, I wanted to have a 4 iron in the mix as well and the the stock loft difference from 4 iron to 5 iron was only 2 degrees.

Cheers Sox, having a 3i in my current set I am fairly happy to add the 4i which would sit nice between the rest of the irons and my 5w

I would probably look at a similar wedge set up to you as well

I'm interested to hear your thoughts. To compensate for the heavier shots I stood a little further aways at address. It never felt comfortable as I saw some casting issues, but that seemed to minimize the heavy shots. I definitely need more range time to find that perfect set up.

All in all these irons are legit and have a feeling the shaft change will give me the weight relief I need however minimal it might be. Also the Dri-Tacs are 48 gms vs the 52 gms for the Red UTx. Again nominal, but adds to the overall weight.
Hey Mike. Did you try moving the ball back just a little in your stance? That helped me when I was hitting them on the sim mats & also lowered the flight a little too. These things launch crazy high.

Hey Mike. Did you try moving the ball back just a little in your stance? That helped me when I was hitting them on the sim mats & also lowered the flight a little too. These things launch crazy high.

You know I didn't & need to try that. I pretty much play the ball middle of my stance unless I'm trying to manipulate the ball flight. I saw a few that launched high, but overall I saw that mid ball flight I like.

Par 3, 159y, 6i. I will take more of that please.

99ab4b9566178290c4e3829b424e1d9a.jpg

8i WAY off toe from 138. Ball Mark out off of grooves.

842e7c5b61c2bd28a926b281c7659252.jpg

Nice shots #Cookie. Interested to here your thoughts on the weight.

Toey PW from 113:

a466569c684ff6b3d2b3ec5ebc6b2641.jpg

I think Cookie is digging some Srixon love right now!!

#WatchOut
#Journey2Better

8i WAY off toe from 138. Ball Mark out off of grooves.

842e7c5b61c2bd28a926b281c7659252.jpg
There are quite a few times I get away with murder off the shiny part of face, half off the grooves lol. Stings a bit and sounds different but still goes pretty true

Hit (and I use that term very loosely) several balls thin and off the toe today that had no right ending up where they did. That's the Z545 effect for you!

Hit (and I use that term very loosely) several balls thin and off the toe today that had no right ending up where they did. That's the Z545 effect for you!

Yep yep.

Even with S300's I was thoroughly impressed.

Enough so that I'm sticking with these shafts for awhile.

For me I would say that these have a perfect combo of forgiveness and launch in a profile that looks just amazing at address.

Only club I didn't hit fantastic was the 4i and those were left out a hair right but not penal. Not giving up on it yet.

AW is already on order.

Great stuff cookie. The 545 4iron made me love long irons again

Yep yep.

Even with S300's I was thoroughly impressed.

Enough so that I'm sticking with these shafts for awhile.

For me I would say that these have a perfect combo of forgiveness and launch in a profile that looks just amazing at address.

Only club I didn't hit fantastic was the 4i and those were left out a hair right but not penal. Not giving up on it yet.

AW is already on order.

What did you think about the weight compared to Apex or the Nike's

I took the plunge on these for a second set of irons. Just went with the stock s300 shafts. Looking forward to hitting these next to my J15DFs once the weather warms up a bit.

Back