Srixon Z U65 Utility Iron - THP Review

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In for review is the new Z U65 Utility Iron, in 20 degrees of loft paired with the Miyazaki Kaula 7 series shaft.

From Srixon

A VERSATILE OPTION THAT PROVIDES DISTANCE AND CONTROL - The new Srixon Z U65 utility iron is an ideal choice for players seeking distance and control off the tee or on long approach shots. Compared to the Z H65 hybrid, it has soft forged construction in a slimmer address profile. Compared to the Z 565 long iron, it has a slightly larger shape with hollow construction.

UNSURPASSED FEEL WITH DISTANCE - New Z U65 utility irons with ultra-soft 1020 carbon steel head material are precision forged for the smoothest, most consistent feel. These irons feature a high-strength SUP10 face insert for higher ball speed and more distance.

MORE SPIN CONTROL - All iron faces feature 5 percent larger grooves compared to the previous generation and Double Laser Milling. This improves contact, especially in wet conditions, for consistent spin control.

HOLLOW CONSTRUCTION - Allows weight to be repositioned low in the head for a higher initial launch.

In Hand Photos

0730162043-XL.jpg

0730162043a-XL.jpg

0730162039-XL.jpg

0730162039b-XL.jpg

0730162039c-XL.jpg

0730162040-XL.jpg

0730162041a-XL.jpg

0730162042a-XL.jpg

0730162044b-XL.jpg

Great pics, Dan. That face looks SUPER tiny from top to bottom.

Great pics, Dan. That face looks SUPER tiny from top to bottom.

It looks very reasonable from address with some of the lower half showing, but it is very typical for a UT sole. I like the size quite a bit, and actually the larger-than-iron profile adds quite a bit of confidence.

Great pics Dan! Do you know if they're offering it in a lefty?

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

I like that they switched to a graphite shaft for this years, vs. the lightweight steel in last years. You're seeing more utility irons getting shafted w/ graphite, even on tour.

She sure is pretty to look at. But no way I could game it. But I'd watch you swig it Dan!

I like that they switched to a graphite shaft for this years, vs. the lightweight steel in last years. You're seeing more utility irons getting shafted w/ graphite, even on tour.

I am a big fan of it, after not expecting to be at all. In fact I don't think I'll game another UT without a graphite shaft in it.

It does surprise me that they went with the 7 series rather than the 8 series, but it seems to be the trend for them based on the 6 series in the fairway. I'll have some more in depth thoughts on it tonight, but it suited the profile well as far as I am concerned.

She sure is pretty to look at. But no way I could game it. But I'd watch you swig it Dan!

Dude... Hollow body with a monster sole? You could game this in a second over a 4 iron.

I'd like to hit this against my utility iron for a comparison. Looks department this is fantastic.

Very surprised by the flex code on the shaft. I get they want to promote high launch but it seems overly tip soft. Great looking club though. Then again I found the u45 to be low launching so the move over to this shaft might be great

Now that is sessy! Like the looks of the sole

This looks fantastic.

I have been pondering a utility,seeing if the gapping will play out well for my set up, I have two empty spots in the bag. Interested in to testing this one out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to your thoughts on this Dan.

Very surprised by the flex code on the shaft. I get they want to promote high launch but it seems overly tip soft. Great looking club though. Then again I found the u45 to be low launching so the move over to this shaft might be great

Good point. I thought the same thing

Oh my. They moved the weight out a bit more, now I can take off all the lead tape on mine.

here you go buddy!

401ae0b1bf102ee9e033280d44559056.png

Thanks Dan!!! Nice to see the offering in lefty too. I'll be looking forward to you review even more than I already was. Think you could try to swing like a high capper a few times? :alien:

That is preeeeeetty.

Thanks Dan!!! Nice to see the offering in lefty too. I'll be looking forward to you review even more than I already was. Think you could try to swing like a high capper a few times? :alien:

Dude I was going to ask the same thing!

In all seriousness - looking forward to reading more on this one. Looks gorgeous, and the construction of it makes me think even I could hit some solid shots off the tee with it.

Wow that looks great. And I don't even really care for utility irons. But dang this thing is good looking.

Dude I was going to ask the same thing!

In all seriousness - looking forward to reading more on this one. Looks gorgeous, and the construction of it makes me think even I could hit some solid shots off the tee with it.

By the time the review hits, I'll make sure to get some mid-high cap feedback as well. Lots of eager eyes out there today haha

I will say, I hit it a handful of times on the range and twice on course, and I didn't really feel like a 'miss' was in play or even a concern. Lots of great contact today and I like that a lot. Higher launch with the shaft pairing (which i think makes a lot of sense for Srixon) and the sound is as good as it gets for a UT as far as I am concerned. beautiful.

Wow that looks great Dan. Looking forward to your review.

The club looks pretty slick. But it comes with a headcover? That seems odd to me haha

Back