Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

No way bro my Cobra masters wedges were INSIDE YOU - i was left of you and you were worried about stepping on my line (see wanted the read) 😉 no one is wearing metal spikes putt that ****
Haha oh ya... I may be misremembering....

Ended up going with the ZX7 AW and MD5 54° and 58°. Just have to figure out which, if any, I'll need to bend.

ya I have the AW then a 54 and 60

Pretty good day with the ZX7's, I have my distances dialed in and rarely worry if I should club up or not. The Modus120S shaft is a great match to this iron. Gives me plenty of height to my shots, but can be flighted down when needed.
Haven't had any issues with the V-sole getting thru any types of turf at all.

Pretty good day with the ZX7's, I have my distances dialed in and rarely worry if I should club up or not. The Modus120S shaft is a great match to this iron. Gives me plenty of height to my shots, but can be flighted down when needed.
Haven't had any issues with the V-sole getting thru any types of turf at all.

just got back from a range session and thought the same. I love the combo of the V sole and the Modus shafts. This setup is working so well for me. I brought along a demo BH icon w/ x100 shaft because I’ve been curious about possibly soft stepping the X100. The X100 launched higher than the Modus for me despite many online saying that the Modus is high launch/spin and “loose”. These shafts works really well for me. And they’re not leaving the bag for a while.

anyone go from the 565's or 585's to the ZX5's? i won't have a chance to try them (ZX5's) out for a few weeks

anyone go from the 565's or 585's to the ZX5's? i won't have a chance to try them (ZX5's) out for a few weeks

I played the 565s with the GH980 for a few years. Now own the ZX5s with the Modus 105s.

They are both fantastic irons. The 565s actually feel a touch softer at impact. The ZX5s are gorgeous and very forgiving. To me the feel a bit clickier at impact, but not in a harsh way. I'd equate it to the pleasant feel of shutting a luxury car door. I like the ZX5s more, but i think it's because the shafts are a better fit for me.

What wedge setup are folks going with if going with the ZX7 A wedge? I historically played a 52/56/60 setup. I've been thinking of bending the ZX7 AW 1° strong and going with a 54/58 or 54/60 setup. I suppose I could bend my MD5 54° a degree weak. How bendable are these cast specialty wedges though?
I spent a good amount of time gapping my irons. I did this with my Z785 and again this year with my ZX7's. I did this using using a trackman and a lie loft machine. I usually go with carry numbers. This is what I ended up with at the top end of my bag; PW is 46* 140, (Jaws MD5 wedges), 50* 120, 56 (bent to 55*), 105 and LW at 59* 90.

I'm hearing the ZXy voice in my head again... 🤨

Took them out. Really need to take them out for a practice round with my TCB's to get an exact comparison on some things. Like take the evens of both and play 2 ball.

They were good in the rain though. Was working on a cut today and it was probably good I had them with me. Missed a couple. Playing a cut did help even out the distances and hold compared to my other stuff. Nothing really flies on that course either though. Did have one true flyer on a 9i approach, but I don't think a different club would have changed anything. It was fun. Great clubs for those conditions.

Early this morning, I accidentally (ahem) located a set of ZX5s with SteelFiber i95r shafts. Following a 2-hour drive to an out-of-state PGATSS, I spent 90 minutes on TrackMan comparing my ZX7/Modus 120s set up against the ZX5/i95 SteelFiber set up. Long story, short ...

IMG_1726.jpeg
IMG_1729.jpeg

It was very tough to part with the ZX7s but I couldn't argue with the numbers. The ZX5/Steelfiber set up gave me the carry, height and descent angle numbers that I wanted. Now I just have to adjust to an even lighter shaft weight. But, to me, that's part of the fun and challenge of continually improving at this great game.

Note -- I was VERY pleasantly surprised at the soft feel of the ZX5s. I had feared they wouldn't have a similar feel to the ZX7s and that would be a deal-breaker, no matter the numbers. But, that concern was misplaced; the ZX5s feel great. Srixon really has hit it out of the park with the ZX series of irons.

The ZX5 set is 5-AW so, now, the next question is : what to do with the beautiful ZX7 A-wedge that is scheduled to finally arrive tomorrow from TGW? Hmmmm....

gonna have to stop in pgass the weekend after this one to try the ZX5's out...

Early this morning, I accidentally (ahem) located a set of ZX5s with SteelFiber i95r shafts. Following a 2-hour drive to an out-of-state PGATSS, I spent 90 minutes on TrackMan comparing my ZX7/Modus 120s set up against the ZX5/i95 SteelFiber set up. Long story, short ...

View attachment 9011934
View attachment 9011935

It was very tough to part with the ZX7s but I couldn't argue with the numbers. The ZX5/Steelfiber set up gave me the carry, height and descent angle numbers that I wanted. Now I just have to adjust to an even lighter shaft weight. But, to me, that's part of the fun and challenge of continually improving at this great game.

Note -- I was VERY pleasantly surprised at the soft feel of the ZX5s. I had feared they wouldn't have a similar feel to the ZX7s and that would be a deal-breaker, no matter the numbers. But, that concern was misplaced; the ZX5s feel great. Srixon really has hit it out of the park with the ZX series of irons.

The ZX5 set is 5-AW so, now, the next question is : what to do with the beautiful ZX7 A-wedge that is scheduled to finally arrive tomorrow from TGW? Hmmmm....

noice. I wonder how much of that is shaft. I had the SF i95 regular flex in a set of i210s and liked that shaft a lot. I sometimes regret going Recoil 95 with my ZX7s but I’m trying to minimize stress on my elbows and I think the Recoil is probably the most damped. I did get much better numbers with the SF95 vs DG105 in the i210 when I was fit the second time.

Either way, hit them in good health. I don’t think it is night and day difference between the 7 and 5, mostly a question of how you deliver the club and details with the turf interaction.

ZX7 A-wedge just arrived. What a beautiful golf club. Nice job, Srixon!

854922D8-1887-494A-8091-1BBEECDCC20B.jpeg

ZX7 A-wedge just arrived. What a beautiful golf club. Nice job, Srixon!

View attachment 9012017

Awesome - maybe mine is close - we'll see if the brown truck stops here later. I don't get shipping notifications for the clubs I've ordered through Carls that come direct from Srixon.

I will say the feel off that one is addictive. Noticeably so.

After my unplanned ZX7/Modus switch to ZX5/Steelfiber yesterday, I now have an A-wedge in both ZX5 and ZX7 designs. I was reluctantly intending to just send this back to TGW whenever it finally arrived, but, after seeing it I’m thinking a guy can’t have too many A-wedges, right?

After my unplanned ZX7/Modus switch to ZX5/Steelfiber yesterday, I now have an A-wedge in both ZX5 and ZX7 designs. I was reluctantly intending to just send this back to TGW whenever it finally arrived, but, after seeing it I’m thinking a guy can’t have too many A-wedges, right?
Mine gets here tomorrow. I went somewhat the opposite route as you. From ZX5 set to ZX7 combo set.

thats a tough call. I am not the guy to ask, I have more AW than most other clubs including driver 😜

Actually the question could be what is the next higher lofted wedge that "fits." This showed up yesterday and so far I love it. Figured that forged should follow forged, hence my anticipation of the ZX7 AW.

Attachments

• 56S - 5.jpeg
    56S - 5.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 56S - 2.jpeg
    56S - 2.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 56S - 1.jpeg
    56S - 1.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 25
Took the ZX5 / SteelFiber set up out this morning to a great short course that we have in the area. It's the perfect place to test a new set of irons.

Hit some high quality iron shots through the entire set -- with an almost effortless feel -- with the exception of the AW. So ... guess that means the wrapper IS coming off the new ZX7 AW after all !!! :D (Seriously, am I the only golfer on Earth that has trouble with AW/GW/50 degree clubs? I think i have a half-dozen of them and never fell in love with any. Maybe the ZX7 AW will be the one.)

With the ZX5/SteelFibers, I gained a 1/2 club to a full club from the ZX7 / Modus 120 set up and, more importantly, gained on-course the increased shot height and descent angle that I wanted. Plus, I am totally thrilled with the soft feel of the ZX5s, which probably is also helped by the SF shafts.

I'm a happy camper. For now.

(Seriously, am I the only golfer on Earth that has trouble with AW/GW/50 degree clubs? I think i have a half-dozen of them and never fell in love with any. Maybe the ZX7 AW will be the one.)

Nope you're not alone. Set AWs are really hit or miss with me as well for some reason. Can't explain it.

I keep on refreshing my TGW ZX7 AW order, but it still says "Delivery by the end of day" while at the same time FedEx doesn't say out for delivery. Hmmm...

I keep on refreshing my TGW ZX7 AW order, but it still says "Delivery by the end of day" while at the same time FedEx doesn't say out for delivery. Hmmm...

Yep ... same happened with me. It finally came four days after the first "Delivery by the end of day" notice. It sat in Kansas for three of those days. Good luck ...

Back