Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

Love me some ZX 8-iron chipping! Smoooth!

The ZX7 AW is a little bit good. Just a smidge.

I never hit full shots with my ZX7 AW as I find the spin a little unmanageable. It just seems to grip and rip back like crazy. I will opt for a softer PW every single time as it stops on a dime rather than land pin high and spin off the green.

However the AW is my go-to for anything between 50-90 metres, and the proximity I can put this club to a flagstick has given me so many birdies and a few hole outs since I started gaming the ZX7's.

I also find the AW is great around the green and it deals with poor greenside lies better than my RTX4's.

Still a huge fan of the ZX7's and they will stay in my bag for a long time to come.

ZeXy whispers again ..?

Does anybody else hear that?!

Having a bit of an issue with my ZX7 PW, so going to bench it and put a SM8 46° F PW in its place for tomorrows round.

My ZX7 irons are a great fit for me. I tried to be more creative with the apex combo, but that was just not my thing. With weeks of practice and play under my belt with the ZX7s I am hitting my irons top to bottom very consistently. I trust my distances, can control trajectory, and have no problems working shots both ways. I get plenty of spin and can adjust with a simple ball change. I also love that I can get steeper with these as needed. That v-sole is fantastic. Great set of irons.

I am also increasingly happy with the steelfiber i95 shafts. Previously I would have sworn I was a recoil guy and less than 110 was too light. But these are ideal for me. Srixon rep who fitted me wanted me in X-flex. I opted for S hard stepped once. All my previous shafts were +1/2 or thereabouts. These are standard length. Shafts are perfect. Since I started playing I wanted to find my shaft. Hello there, my shaft. :cool:

Love me some ZX 8-iron chipping! Smoooth!
I chip with a 7 iron but I have to agree. The sole is just perfect to glide off the turf on little chips.

I've been doing really well with the mid and short irons since switching to the ZX7's but for some reason I've really been hooking the long irons.
A range session basically resulted in a realisation of a swing and grip fault which I don't really understand as I have Align grips. Somehow I'd been holding some clubs closed.
Anyway once I discovered this I managed to straighten out my irons and on 17 I hit the perfect back to back shots. Admittedly the 4 iron is a Mizuno JPX921 HMP but the 5 iron shot is definitely the best one I've hit so far with the ZX7.
It was my first time this year shooting in the 70s but I feel my confidence is on the rise and hopefully I can get my handicap back close to where it used to be.
These irons are so good
8e4f86d9ae4f25877d8e1998b7a2eca9.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

My ZX7 irons are a great fit for me. I tried to be more creative with the apex combo, but that was just not my thing. With weeks of practice and play under my belt with the ZX7s I am hitting my irons top to bottom very consistently. I trust my distances, can control trajectory, and have no problems working shots both ways. I get plenty of spin and can adjust with a simple ball change. I also love that I can get steeper with these as needed. That v-sole is fantastic. Great set of irons.

I am also increasingly happy with the steelfiber i95 shafts. Previously I would have sworn I was a recoil guy and less than 110 was too light. But these are ideal for me. Srixon rep who fitted me wanted me in X-flex. I opted for S hard stepped once. All my previous shafts were +1/2 or thereabouts. These are standard length. Shafts are perfect. Since I started playing I wanted to find my shaft. Hello there, my shaft. :cool:
So happy these found you and are playing well with them Be fun to put some swings on them in Aug and compare the Modus 120S shafts to these.

Well I purposely tried a couple fun ones today with the ZX7. Was left side 165 from the pin and normally would have worked something high around the branches in my way, but went with a curling 5i punch to run it up. Just sliced right through the rough with the exact shape I wanted. Ended up running about 35' past the hole, but the club did everything I'd hoped.

Screenshot_20210626-231432_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20210626-231546_Video Player.jpg
Then later, bombed a drive around and down a hill, but was in a crap spot mostly blocked out by a tree at 94y. There was a window to loop a half 9i through and in from the right, and I normally would have. Wanted to do something different, and decided to hit a runner into the hill (severely uphill, forgot that). Needed to get off the ground but not have too much spin. Decided on a stinger 7i, and ended up tapping the pin and getting an easy birdie. :)

Screenshot_20210626-220110_Video Player.jpg20210626_175715.jpg

Tons of fun, and definitely reinforced what I've felt about them and what they can do. Just more impressed all the time.

20210627_000848.jpg20210627_000910.jpg

Some of mine have been paying a heavy price for pulling off their awesomeness though. 😥. The grooves look great still, but the soles are showing some age.

Battle scares are a sign of character..
Yeah, I'm used to dings and gouges. Shearing the chrome off.. that one kind of stings to look at. Lol

They're not going anywhere though, so I'm not worried about resale.

Just call it “patina” and triple the asking price when you sell.

Well I purposely tried a couple fun ones today with the ZX7. Was left side 165 from the pin and normally would have worked something high around the branches in my way, but went with a curling 5i punch to run it up. Just sliced right through the rough with the exact shape I wanted. Ended up running about 35' past the hole, but the club did everything I'd hoped.

View attachment 9014803
View attachment 9014807
Then later, bombed a drive around and down a hill, but was in a crap spot mostly blocked out by a tree at 94y. There was a window to loop a half 9i through and in from the right, and I normally would have. Wanted to do something different, and decided to hit a runner into the hill (severely uphill, forgot that). Needed to get off the ground but not have too much spin. Decided on a stinger 7i, and ended up tapping the pin and getting an easy birdie. :)

View attachment 9014802View attachment 9014808

Tons of fun, and definitely reinforced what I've felt about them and what they can do. Just more impressed all the time.

The benefit of the V sole is real. Like you, I keep being amazed at what these irons can do. I now visualize the V sole ridge going through the ball at whatever AoA and square/open/closed position to match whatever shot I’m trying to hit. Love ‘em!

Last edited:
Good outing with the ZX7's today. 9/18 GIR but the thing was the misses where all really close (except one that went into the pond) and generally pin high. Did have a couple shots I was between distances and chose the club up route and turned out just fine.

The PW is gone out of the bag and has been replaced with a Titleist Vokey SM8, 46°F.
Was having issues getting the set PW to 115 even after having the loft checked (which was spot on) Threw in the SM8 today and second hole I am 114y out after the drive and grabbed the SM8 and stuck it pin high 4 yards right of the pin. Plenty of spin from it even with a Srixon soft feel ball.

I don’t post a lot about my ZX5’s anymore because they are boring in the best kind of way. I know what to hit, I hit it and I am on on near the green. Happened all day yesterday.

Good outing with the ZX7's today. 9/18 GIR but the thing was the misses where all really close (except one that went into the pond) and generally pin high. Did have a couple shots I was between distances and chose the club up route and turned out just fine.

The PW is gone out of the bag and has been replaced with a Titleist Vokey SM8, 46°F.
Was having issues getting the set PW to 115 even after having the loft checked (which was spot on) Threw in the SM8 today and second hole I am 114y out after the drive and grabbed the SM8 and stuck it pin high 4 yards right of the pin. Plenty of spin from it even with a Srixon soft feel ball.

Interesting … I had the same distance issue with ZX7 PW. Have not had an expected-distance issue with the ZX5 PW. Weird. Btw, I have a 46 degree SM7 in the second bag.That club is money.

Interesting … I had the same distance issue with ZX7 PW. Have not had an expected-distance issue with the ZX5 PW. Weird. Btw, I have a 46 degree SM7 in the second bag.That club is money.
Don't really understand it either, but won't complain about the results with the SM8 today.

I played 'em today. They were good. I had 9 birdies. I'm just playing stupidly good right now for reasons I can't quite figure out, and I was actually a little bomb-y with them. I think they were only kinda responsible for about 2 or 3 of those birdies, but the obviously played a strong support role, and at the very least are very good luck.

Played them with the V1x again and do really like that combo. It's a dream in the long irons for me. Showed on Saturday too. Par 5 approaches and long par 3's have been fantastic. Just great flights with an easy swing. I've been feeling it a little the last couple days, and not wanting to bend or dig much, I've been pleasantly surprised how they are with a shallower club into impact. I'm still low point forward, so probably a little different than someone who worries about fat shots, but I think the good-for-steep aspect gets a little too stuck on these.

The PW thing is interesting to me. I've definitely had issue with a set PW/AW or two causing gapping problems that are hard to solve, but the ZX7 PW has been spot on for me. If anything I have a tendency to juice it a bit. Blends well for me, and then the AW is a little higher spinning and slightly different flight. Which works for me into my specialties.

Last edited:
Today I could have used a little more forgiveness. I was not hitting crisp irons or getting my typical distances. Only 7/18 GIR. Back was stiff from the get go, and I almost felt like I had a bit of vertigo at times. ZX7 irons were still solid -- their forgiveness is shockingly good for the playability-- but for most of the round I was in full scramble mode on and around the greens. These are the days where I could benefit from a little more help. Fortunately days like today are rarer for me. Knock on wood.

On a positive, I did hit a couple of very good approach shots, including a 7i fade around a giant spruce tree after an unfortunate tee shot into a hazard. I couldn't see the green from where I hit. Left a 10 footer for par (due to the penalty). But the good shots were in the minority today.

Today I could have used a little more forgiveness. I was not hitting crisp irons or getting my typical distances. Only 7/18 GIR. Back was stiff from the get go, and I almost felt like I had a bit of vertigo at times. ZX7 irons were still solid -- their forgiveness is shockingly good for the playability-- but for most of the round I was in full scramble mode on and around the greens. These are the days where I could benefit from a little more help. Fortunately days like today are rarer for me. Knock on wood.

On a positive, I did hit a couple of very good approach shots, including a 7i fade around a giant spruce tree after an unfortunate tee shot into a hazard. I couldn't see the green from where I hit. Left a 10 footer for par (due to the penalty). But the good shots were in the minority today.

Sorry to hear about the tough day. I can't even imagine playing with what feels like vertigo. Good job just hitting the shots you did man.

i feel your pain. Played last week with new shoes and a sole insert that literally resulted in abrasions on the top of my feet. Fail. The driver remains well-behaved as I am hovering at 10-11 FIR. Sadly GIR are single digits but im good around the green. On the green - another story at the moment. Another lesson coming this Friday and it’s getting there, I’m just not consistent with my swing (mostly in the up/down side of things). Proper contact is a joy and the AW is a go-to club - high trajectory and the other short irons stop no problem. Mid irons - I’m just not landing enough of them on the green to know yet. I did come to a reality check though during the round - turning 60 in a few months and my abused body just isn’t going to be able to put the swing on the ball that I used to. On the positive side, it’s an excuse to buy some more hybrids to test :p

I’ve been really trying to manage my irons really well and keeping my tempo smooths and not over swinging. Payed off tonight with 6/8 GIR on iron approaches. Really happy with the Modus 120S in these

Got to bring my demo set out on the range today and holy smokes am I impressed!! The consistency was incredible and the mishits were still very playable. Unlike my current set, I feel like I can use my natural swing and it just works so well. The real test will come when I bring them out of the course this weekend

So I think part of the reason I've been playing these more lately, besides being shafted to match some of my other stuff now, is the long irons. I've mentioned recently that they've been great paired with the new V1x for me, but they are just lovely to hit.

Went to the range to straighten myself out after the round, and it doesn't take much with them. Lol The feel and feedback are great. When I find myself choosing to play them over my TCB's part of it is the feel. I combo an Apex Pro 4i with my Pro/TCB's, and the flight is good, I just don't enjoy the sound and feel nearly as much. It's just really hard to beat these in the long irons for me right now. They're fantastic.

Last edited:
Back