Stock Market & Retirement Planning

Which way did you go with this? Did you find anything to read? I'd be curious to know

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing when I opened this thread tonight, but the post was a few months old. I have some suggestions, which might differ based upon his objectives.

Crazy coronavirus panic drop in stocks this week, the worst one week drop since 2001 I believe. Don't look at your 401k balances for a while unless you are prepared to feel a little bit sick. A great time to buy if you have some cash on the sidelines. Lots of companies like Microsoft and Coca-Cola are cheaply priced right now, IMO.

Crazy coronavirus panic drop in stocks this week, the worst one week drop since 2001 I believe. Don't look at your 401k balances for a while unless you are prepared to feel a little bit sick. A great time to buy if you have some cash on the sidelines. Lots of companies like Microsoft and Coca-Cola are cheaply priced right now, IMO.
Definitely been a rough rough week.... :sick::sick:

The cynic in me is wondering if this is being sensationalized by the media to weaken the market and hurt the economy. This doesn't seem really much worse than Zika or SARS. It kinda feels like the exact same thing, to be honest.

Maybe calm it on down there stock market.

The cynic in me is wondering if this is being sensationalized by the media to weaken the market and hurt the economy. This doesn't seem really much worse than Zika or SARS. It kinda feels like the exact same thing, to be honest.

I say let it drop some more. Once it seems like it's dropped enough, we can all buy, buy, buy!

Throw Apple in there, too. It was climbing nicely for the longest time I'm hoping the bottom drops out of it, though, so I can buy some more.

Definitely been a rough rough week.... :sick::sick:

Hopefully it will correct...that said, I really didn't enjoy pulling up my various accounts yesterday.

It's less deadly but a lot more infectious than SARS, so it has a bigger effect on supply chains. That's probably why we've seen such a drop.

It's less deadly but a lot more infectious than SARS, so it has a bigger effect on supply chains. That's probably why we've seen such a drop.

The fear of this causing a bad economy/recession also increases the chances of Bernie getting elected which scares Wall Street and adds to the decline. Crazy that we saw the quickest 10% drop in the history of the S&P500. $4 Trillion in value was wiped out this week!!

at the time of SARS, China’s share of global exports was less than the 16% it is today.

Is there a fund that essentially tracks the S&P? I have some reserve sitting in cash and figure this would be the simplest way to grab a bargain during the panic sell off. Plus I’m too lazy to do the research on my own (where’s that shame emoji, anyway?)

Is there a fund that essentially tracks the S&P? I have some reserve sitting in cash and figure this would be the simplest way to grab a bargain during the panic sell off. Plus I’m too lazy to do the research on my own (where’s that shame emoji, anyway?)
There are many. For index funds, I prefer ETFs to mutual funds. You should look at expense ratios among other things. Vanguard’s is VOO. iShares is IVV. There is SPY. Fidelity’s S&P 500 index Mutual fund is FXAIX and has an expense ratio of 0.02%, which is outstanding. There are also ETFs that track the total market.

You may want to check out the Bogleheads forums. They are all over index fund (passive) investing. From you description I think your idea is a good one for you - and many individuals.

For 40+ years, my wife and I set a side (on average) 15% of our total wages, after taxes.

We have a good investment guru we trust whole heartedly. I went to school with him. He took care of everything for our retirement, including health coverage. We both retired well off. Not wealthy mind you, but well off. In addition to buying stocks for us, he did us quite well dealing with commodities.

I think one of biggest mistakes young folks make during their journey to retirement is that they neglect to plan for their future health insurance coverage, after retirement. You can retire with a boat load of monthly retirement money, but without good health insurance coverage, all that money won't mean squat. In fact, one serious medical event could wipe out a persons retirement. This is especially true in this day, and age with health providers actually denying their members needed medical proceedures. That, and the current political climate on health coverage movement being what it is.

Myself I recently started fooling around with some stocks, just as a past time. Not looking to get rich, but not wanting to lose my investment monies either. It's fun to watch what stocks do on a daily basis, from month to month. I started out 6 months ago with $100. 00 in three investments. I still have all of my $100, plus $15 more. It's a hobby.

Actually for a newbie, real money is not needed to learn about stock investments. Just pick a stock, and pretend you bought 100 shares @$XX.XX dollars per share. Watch what happens to your fake investment, and educate yourself on why it did what it did. Hell, pick one of these new "Marijuana Stocks" that keep popping up.......lol

For 40+ years, my wife and I set a side (on average) 15% of our total wages, after taxes.

We have a good investment guru we trust whole heartedly. I went to school with him. He took care of everything for our retirement, including health coverage. We both retired well off. Not wealthy mind you, but well off. In addition to buying stocks for us, he did us quite well dealing with commodities.

I think one of biggest mistakes young folks make during their journey to retirement is that they neglect to plan for their future health insurance coverage, after retirement. You can retire with a boat load of monthly retirement money, but without good health insurance coverage, all that money won't mean squat. In fact, one serious medical event could wipe out a persons retirement. This is especially true in this day, and age with health providers actually denying their members needed medical proceedures. That, and the current political climate on health coverage movement being what it is.

Myself I recently started fooling around with some stocks, just as a past time. Not looking to get rich, but not wanting to lose my investment monies either. It's fun to watch what stocks do on a daily basis, from month to month. I started out 6 months ago with $100. 00 in three investments. I still have all of my $100, plus $15 more. It's a hobby.

Actually for a newbie, real money is not needed to learn about stock investments. Just pick a stock, and pretend you bought 100 shares @$XX.XX dollars per share. Watch what happens to your fake investment, and educate yourself on why it did what it did. Hell, pick one of these new "Marijuana Stocks" that keep popping up.......lol

The key is to start young and save 15% or more as you did. My 20 year old daughter
just landed an internship that pays her $800 a week over the summer. I told her I would do a 25% match on anything she saves into an IRA over the summer and I’m hoping she saves 75% of it. The younger she learns to be a saver the better.

I’ve got a pension through my work that I pay into monthly and my employer match it. I also get preferential rates on the company shares, so I put a certain amount into that every month which I’m planning to use as a cash pot once I retire. If I ever get to retire 😫

The key is to start young and save 15% or more as you did. My 20 year old daughter
just landed an internship that pays her $800 a week over the summer. I told her I would do a 25% match on anything she saves into an IRA over the summer and I’m hoping she saves 75% of it. The younger she learns to be a saver the better.

I convinced my 18 year old to start dumping his money into a 401k when he was with WalMart. I think they matched 5 or 6 percent. Now, he's in the Navy and I think he's putting like 15% in and maybe more. I think the military matches 5% now.

Stock market falling on the year of my retirement is plucking my brain LOL At least my security is not in the market, yet quite a bit of my money is. I really need to buy some stock now that the market is down, just not sure what to latch on to. I am probably not the only one sitting on this fence.

Stock market falling on the year of my retirement is plucking my brain LOL At least my security is not in the market, yet quite a bit of my money is. I really need to buy some stock now that the market is down, just not sure what to latch on to. I am probably not the only one sitting on this fence.

Congrats on being close to retirement! I like many of the large-cap stocks that IMO are on sale right now. Microsoft, Exxon, Disney, Coca-cola are some of the ones I'm buying. It's crazy how volatile the market is right now. Apple as an example was at $323 on 2/19 and bottomed at $259 last Thursday. Today it's back up to $291. Not for the faint of heart, lol.

Here's an article on some recommended stocks to buy.

Congrats on being close to retirement! I like many of the large-cap stocks that IMO are on sale right now. Microsoft, Exxon, Disney, Coca-cola are some of the ones I'm buying. It's crazy how volatile the market is right now. Apple as an example was at $323 on 2/19 and bottomed at $259 last Thursday. Today it's back up to $291. Not for the faint of heart, lol.

Here's an article on some recommended stocks to buy.

Yep, I was kind of thinking along those lines as well. And you are so right, you definitely got have strong heart when messing with stocks.

market is crazy right now. 1000 up 1 day 1000 down the next

market is crazy right now. 1000 up 1 day 1000 down the next

I've got a feeling that at this point HFT and algo-based trading has more to do with those swings than traditional market fears/valuations.

I've got a feeling that at this point HFT and algo-based trading has more to do with those swings than traditional market fears/valuations.

Is all about coronavirus now

Welp, that's not a great start. Trading halted

Back