Strength and Core Yoga for golfers - Apple Fitness+

That post

aka GolfOrElse
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Boycotting

Anyone gonna try this? Not gonna lie I’m thinking about re-activating my Fitness+ membership to do these workouts on my “rest” days from strength training.

I'm not sure what makes these "for golfers". But if this is what gets people to be somewhat active, awesome!

I'm not sure what makes these "for golfers". But if this is what gets people to be somewhat active, awesome!
For sure. I have a couple off days a week where I don't really know wth to do with myself. This could be a better option than a boring walk or something like that.

The movements and range of motion stuff probably. I know you don't necessarily agree with doing golf specific stuff but plenty of pro golfers do and like you said if it gets people active then that is a win.

Last edited:
For sure. I have a couple off days a week where I don't really know wth to do with myself. This could be a better option than a boring walk or something like that.
Yep this is exactly what I'm thinking. Would be a good supplement to my regular routine.

I'd be interested to see your thoughts on what a good core/rotational mobility program looks like

Anyone gonna try this? Not gonna lie I’m thinking about re-activating my Fitness+ membership to do these workouts on my “rest” days from strength training.

Wonder what equipment you would need for this.
I mean, can you do at home or do you need a gym?

Wonder what equipment you would need for this.
I mean, can you do at home or do you need a gym?
Most of the Apple Fitness stuff is made for at home. I don't think I've seen one that uses anything more than dumbbells or bands. But I haven't used it in quite a while so I could have missed some changes.

Most of the Apple Fitness stuff is made for at home. I don't think I've seen one that uses anything more than dumbbells or bands. But I haven't used it in quite a while so I could have missed some changes.
This is correct, unless you are doing something like tread, cycling, or rowing.

The movements and range of motion stuff probably. I know you don't necessarily agree with doing golf specific stuff but plenty of pro golfers do and like you said if it gets people active then that is a win.
Without a doubt it's better than nothing. The rigors and schedule of a touring professional golfer at a variable that us, the lunatic fringe, don't have to deal with. But I can say, confidentiality, that the training trend amongst trainers working with athletes of all sports, including golf, is going away from movement mimicking training.

But also, whatever gets people moving and more active in general is a good thing. The yoga part of this might be fun.

I'd be interested to see your thoughts on what a good core/rotational mobility program looks like
In general, I like to treat training as a general concept, but apply specifically with practice and play. So I would train your core as generally as possible, maybe some rotational work but not much and then have you golf and practice as specifically as possible. In my opinion, the more training looks like practice, the less effective both become.

I might give this a look. Yoga is on my goal list this year to get a little more range of motion and strength in those types of movements. Might be able to stick with it telling myself it’s golf focused

I have fitness + and have never once even looked at it haha. I'll have to check this out.

I have fitness + and have never once even looked at it haha. I'll have to check this out.
Sorta depends on what you like to do, but it's a great app. I used peloton for a long time, though I didn't own a Peloton. This is much more integrated into the Apple world (obviously) and has some solid programming. I use it for biking and rowing most often.

Fitness+ is great. The trainers have great energy. I will have to check these workouts out as I’ve been wanting to try something new. Thanks for posting!

I had an off day today, so figured I'd run through this. I did 3 of the 4 sessions, which totaled around 35 minutes or so. That's all the time I had.

I'd definitely recommend it to anybody looking to get a decent, generalized workout in. Lots of rotational lifts and they blended in balance quite a bit, which made it a little more challenging. If you're in decent shape, it will feel very easy, but I it made me feel good and I wasn't sorry I did it. The yoga stretch was nice. I never do things like that.

I had an off day today, so figured I'd run through this. I did 3 of the 4 sessions, which totaled around 35 minutes or so. That's all the time I had.

I'd definitely recommend it to anybody looking to get a decent, generalized workout in. Lots of rotational lifts and they blended in balance quite a bit, which made it a little more challenging. If you're in decent shape, it will feel very easy, but I it made me feel good and I wasn't sorry I did it. The yoga stretch was nice. I never do things like that.
Thanks for taking the plunge! It sounds like it might be a good ‘rest day’ routine. I need to work more on balance so this could be just what I’m looking for. I might need to upgrade to Apple One Premiere

Thanks for taking the plunge! It sounds like it might be a good ‘rest day’ routine. I need to work more on balance so this could be just what I’m looking for. I might need to upgrade to Apple One Premiere
I thought the balance and rotational stuff was great. I could definitely see incorporating some of those movements into a full routine.

I’ve done 2 of the 4 and they are good for what they are. Rose is a little awkward but it’s not her day job so understandable

I would like to give it a try.

Not this one but I did some yoga tonight. I need to get some extra flexibility, esp in my back. Been a bit since this was last talked about, anyone doing this routine and what are your thoughts?

Not this one but I did some yoga tonight. I need to get some extra flexibility, esp in my back. Been a bit since this was last talked about, anyone doing this routine and what are your thoughts?
Nice! I haven't tried these routines but I do a hip and thoracic spine mobility routine every morning. It helps so much. The back pain I had last year after playing golf hasn't surfaced once so far this year!

Been doing lower body, upper body and core combo twice a week. I like it

Sorta depends on what you like to do, but it's a great app. I used peloton for a long time, though I didn't own a Peloton. This is much more integrated into the Apple world (obviously) and has some solid programming. I use it for biking and rowing most often.
I have been thinking of getting the peloton app (I also don’t own a peloton), but may have to check into Apple+ now. Is there a reason you switched?

I have been thinking of getting the peloton app (I also don’t own a peloton), but may have to check into Apple+ now. Is there a reason you switched?
Pelo changed their membership plans and pissed me off. Such a grumpy old man answer 😂

I want to say if you don't go premium on Pelo they limit the number of bike/rowing/tread workouts you can do down to three a month or something stupid like that.

The programming is equally good on AF+, if not better imo.

Back