Super interesting chart on loft changes over the years..

Floridatennisplayer

Reaction score
Handicap
This chart is an average loft of the 7 iron over the years.

Not sure how I feel about this. My 7 iron is 31 degrees. Srixon ZX5.

In the 1980’s through mid 90’s I played Wilson Staff Fluid Feel blades and scored great. I remember consistency with a piercing ball flight.

Might check eBay I’d like to try them again.

IMG_2840.jpeg

I'm still living like the year 2002, but I'm getting old. Might be time to start getting jacked and push off Father Time.

Changes in tech in irons requires lowering loft or you'll just get ballooning balls. Decent angle should be looked at when anyone talks about "jacked lofts". Are shots going farther? Yep, but loft is far from the ONLY reason

I'm still living like the year 2002, but I'm getting old. Might be time to start getting jacked and push off Father Time.
Strong lofts help...

It’s the sum of all parts ….

Club loft

Shaft

Ball

Physical condition of the person

Green condition

Course length

All of these , contribute to what we see / measure / feel / score .

No one ingredient is responsible. From the timeline , in graph we see degrees diminish, think that’s only part of the equation .

Notwithstanding the unrelated future ball restrictions. ( as a single factor for example )

Learn your distances, and play them. More often than not, that is a much bigger issue for people than the loft they are playing.

Also, that drop to 30 degrees is more towards the GI category than anything. Most CB's and MB's are still hovering around the 33/34 zone...at least last I checked

Would love to see the sources used to make that graph.

This wont spark some interesting back and forth conversation, at all...
Loft jacking threads are always good for some post count numbers.

Loft jacking threads are always good for some post count numbers.
Sorry I’m new here.. 4 months and new to golf after a 15 year hiatus. I can ask the moderators to delete.

Changes in tech in irons requires lowering loft or you'll just get ballooning balls. Decent angle should be looked at when anyone talks about "jacked lofts".
Exactly. Other tech plays a huge role in shot results.

I looked at my last few iron specs for fun and it’s actually pretty interesting.

Nike Vapor Speed - 32°
Mizuno MP57 - 35°
Mizuno MP18 SC - 34°
Callaway Apex 19 - 30.5°
Cobra Forged Tec X - 27°

The Apex 19 and FTx average out around the same distance for me, but they’re a full club longer than both of the Mizuno. As such, the rest of my bag has been adapted.

I have a set of Bobby Locke Slazenger irons circa 1940 with the 7-iron @ 45* loft and the 8-iron @ 50* loft.

Loft is only one piece of the puzzle.

Wow. If accurate, this really speaks to the advances in tech over the last 5 years.

I find this interesting because has technology came along way or are they just jacking the lofts, now I'm not against it at all but at some point in the future it will hit a wall and they won't be able to do anymore with the lofts

The King Cobra oversize irons 30 years ago had a 32 degree 7 iron

No doubt there can be big differences in loft between types of irons.

This past week I got to play with a bunch of different guys including some guys I hadn’t played with before. More than once someone asked what I hit on a particular shot. My usual response is to focus on the yardage and say something like “my 145 yard club.”

Depending on their swing speed and what irons they have they might be hitting a pitching wedge while someone else might be hitting a 6 iron. Telling someone that you hit an 8 iron doesn’t really give them enough information.

I’m certain that the irons I’m currently using would not be a great fit for most of the guys I play with. Similarly, what they are playing wouldn’t be a good fit for me. Just glad that there is a wide enough selection today to meet all of our needs.

What’s the dynamic loft vs the static loft would be more of a comparable story.

Angry He Man GIF

"super interesting" isn't what I would call it.

I have a 28* XXIO 12 and a lefty 34* T100 in my bag! I had a lefty 25* 5iron but I think the 7 iron is more versatile.
With practice I'd like to be able to shape lefty recovery shots back onto the fairway.
The smaller head of the T100 ought to be better for digging the ball out of fairway divots.

They had to do something to attract new sales with irons.
Unlike you average THP'er folks don't change irons very often unless they can brag about their 190 yards 7 iron. lol.

Hybrid irons have made even more a splash than jacked lofts in my neck of the woods.

Last edited:
Back