SuperSpeed Golf Training and Testing thread

Week 2 Session 1

Notes:
  • Had a week off due to travel for work. And I felt it. Now back on the saddle!
  • Still about 0c outside and windy, my hands were white by the end. So a bit rushed from the Blue Stick step-changes forward.
  • Some really good feeling ones where the legs were also active. But it's a real hit and miss currently.
1711572622441.png
1711572647183.png
1711572666133.png

Week 2 Session 2

Notes:
  • The step change red stick swing wasn't just a one off. Had a second one go 127 :oops:
  • Blast Golf seems to be sensitive to when the head is released and that affects clubhead speed quite a lot. Which makes sense. But a slower hand peak speed can produce a faster club speed due to better release.
  • Fun, straining and interesting practice.
  • Should get some driver swings measured on Sunday or Monday.
1711735409733.png
1711735436715.png
1711735460342.png

So I wonder if swinging so hard if people could be messing up or grooving a bad swing, swing path, body movements etc?

So I wonder if swinging so hard if people could be messing up or grooving a bad swing, swing path, body movements etc?
At least I don't think I'm doing that. I also train just normal golf swings too, so it's not just speed training. And speed training is more to the effect of training muscles and the nerve system to be faster and more powerful. That is then combined into the normal golf swings.

I do try to be cognizant of not just swinging, but golf swinging when doing the SuperSpeed drills.

Week 2 Session 3

Notes:
  • I hit about 30 balls before doing the drills. Doesn't show in the results, but it helped me feel the swings to be connected.
  • It was nice doing the drills indoors and not freezing :LOL:
  • I hit some drives before with a ball and established my baseline as 97 mph.
  • I played a round afterwards and was hitting the driver better than in a long while.
1711911561422.png
1711911588174.png
1711911613573.png

My heavy stick broke just below the weight. Having to improvise training protocols for the program but started back today. Fastest green stick today was 133mph. It wasn't under control but getting out of control will gain me speed and allow me to play faster under control. Controlled speed today 3/13/24 with driver was 115mph with gamer driver at 44.5 inches.

My heavy stick broke just below the weight. Having to improvise training protocols for the program but started back today. Fastest green stick today was 133mph. It wasn't under control but getting out of control will gain me speed and allow me to play faster under control. Controlled speed today 3/13/24 with driver was 115mph with gamer driver at 44.5 inches.
How did the heavy stick break? Hopefully not hitting anything.

Impressive green stick @ 133 mph!

I'm waiting for all the on course reviews and yardages to start rolling in to see how things equate.

How did the heavy stick break? Hopefully not hitting anything.

Impressive green stick @ 133 mph!
The weight hit the ground. I get steep so I worked on shallowing at speed and directly after impact I heard it. Thankfully I didn’t swing again after the shaft cracked.

The weight hit the ground. I get steep so I worked on shallowing at speed and directly after impact I heard it. Thankfully I didn’t swing again after the shaft cracked.
Wow, glad nothing bad happen and no one got hurt. That is a bummer though.

Wow, glad nothing bad happen and no one got hurt. That is a bummer though.
My fault in the end. Just substituting. May drill the weight out and re-set it and add a bunch of lead tape

Hello all! New member here... I used to post on another forum but the speed training thread kind of went dead. I noticed this one is pretty active so I wanted to join and share my experience! First off, I'm not new to the superspeed sticks. I started my own journey in December of 2022 and it continues until today. I really enjoy the challenge and feedback and it has really paid off on the course. Before I get to the good stuff, here's a bit more about me. I'm a 41 y/o male and currently at about a 6 handicap. I am pretty fit and have been lifting and doing cardio pretty intensely and consistently for about 6 years now. As I said, about 16 months ago I wanted to hit the ball further!

All swings recorded with PRGR Black.

Starting Point:
Going into training I maxed out with my driver, while hitting a ball, at around 104mph. I'm a pretty low spin and high launch guy so I was carrying it about 260.
Training Session 1: 12/17/22 - Green 118, Blue 113, Red 107.

I completed all the protocols last June of 2023.

Current:
Training Session 136: 4/1/24 - Green 131, Blue 126, Red 121

Personal Bests:
These were set in the last few weeks!
Green 133, Blue 127, Red 121.
Driver (without ball): 124

These days I average about 112-113 hitting a ball after a speed session. On course I suspect I'm around 110-111 and I'm seeing 275-280 carry's.

Sidenotes:
-I have always done about a 12 min warm before my sessions. It includes jumping jacks, squat jumps, and static stretches. My main goal of my warm up is to not only get loose but to get my heart rate up and break a light sweat (especially in the winter in my garbage!). In doing this I sometimes hit my fastest speeds in my first sets. The idea is to be fast in my first sets but not tire out before my last set of the day. 12 minutes and getting a light sweat works for me.

-About a year ago I also starting incorporating some golf specific exercises into my lifts (cable rotations, trunk rotations, etc) as well as some stretching. I feel like those things did help.

-I have never done the non-dominant swings. I've always felt like my gym routine and core exercises were programmed well enough to be sure I train my body evenly.

-For the majority of 2023 I was lifting 5 days a week early in the mornings and those workouts did overlap days I did speed training. It didn't seem to be a big deal at first but after about 5 months I saw a dip in speeds despite changing nothing! After finishing the protocols I backed off to 2 lifts a week (very intense), and 2 speed training days (56 swings each day). This way I could prioritize a rest day before a speed day. My speeds IMMEDIATELY jumped up and ending up being faster than ever after doing so. Mind you this was 70 sessions deep into my speed training! REST MATTERS.

-I now do a mixed program 2 days a week of my favorite drills. I do 4 swings per set instead of 3 b/c over time I found that sometimes my 4th swing is the fastest but never the 5th. I take 45 seconds of rest after EVERY set, instead of the longer rest before the red set. Everything I've read about speed training says that more rest is better. I have found that 45 seconds is the perfect amount for me to maintain rhythm but also be fresh for the next set. I have also substituted the blue stick for my driver in 2 out of my 4 drills. I've felt like getting a feel for the clubface and swinging my driver more at max speed has been beneficial to translate the speed from the sticks to my driver better. I also always take a minimum of 5 driver swings (sometimes many more lol), while hitting a ball into a net, at the end of my sessions to measure progress and try to translate speed from sticks to hitting a ball.

-From the beginning I have always done an extra drill... swings while kneeling. I know they took that out of the protocols, but I felt like increasing arm speed was very good for me as I am more of a body swinger than an arm swinger. I also felt like it helps with flexibility but who knows.

-The one thing that continues to drive me is that I can routinely swing my driver, without hitting a ball, upwards of 122 mph. I can sometimes get an outlier swing while hitting a ball around 115+ but I usually see a 10mph drop while hitting a ball. I'm still trying to find ways to narrow that margin!

I know that was a long post, but if anyone has questions feel free to ask. I have 136 sessions between all my spreadsheets! I don't really ever plan on stopping, just trying to find ways to get 1-2 more mph!

Last edited:
-I now do a mixed program 2 days a week of my favorite drills. I do 4 swings per set instead of 3 b/c over time I found that sometimes my 4th swing is the fastest but never the 5th. I take 45 seconds of rest after EVERY set, instead of the longer rest before the red set. Everything I've read about speed training says that more rest is better. I have found that 45 seconds is the perfect amount for me to maintain rhythm but also be fresh for the next set. I have also substituted the blue stick for my driver in 2 out of my 4 drills. I've felt like getting a feel for the clubface and swinging my driver more at max speed has been beneficial to translate the speed from the sticks to my driver better.
That's very interesting and insightful information. Never would have thought of creating my own program (although I'm barely 3 weeks in on my training). I like the "rest" info too.

Appreciate you sharing your experience. Be interesting to follow your continued progress. Thanks for all the details!

That's very interesting and insightful information. Never would have thought of creating my own program (although I'm barely 3 weeks in on my training). I like the "rest" info too.

Appreciate you sharing your experience. Be interesting to follow your continued progress. Thanks for all the details!
Outside of the adding the kneeling swings, I did all protocols as written until completion. By the end I definitely had my favorite drills for my swing that I knew if I kept going I wanted to come back to. I also really wanted to incorporate more raw driver swings so this is what I’ve landed on…

2 days a week:

Regular Full Swing
Green x4, Blue x4, Red x4

Kneeling
Green x4, Driver x4, Red x4

Double Step

Regular Full Swing
Green x4, Blue x4, Red x4, Driver x4

Finish: Minimum 4 driver swings hitting ball into net.

I’ve seen really good results with this. Not saying it’s best for everyone just seems to fit me well. I kept reading that you can see great results from less volume and figured I’d try it. Thought maybe I would just maintain but I actually did get faster from the end of the protocols. Part of that might be the added rest of my lifts though.

I would encourage everyone to try to do all the protocols and drills and then experiment with your favorites after completing the program. Once I started listening to my body more and made tweaks it got even better. But had I not done all the protocols I wouldn’t have had the experience along the way to make the tweaks I made.

Good luck!

Training day tomorrow!

Last edited:
Hello all! New member here... I used to post on another forum but the speed training thread kind of went dead. I noticed this one is pretty active so I wanted to join and share my experience! First off, I'm not new to the superspeed sticks. I started my own journey in December of 2022 and it continues until today. I really enjoy the challenge and feedback and it has really paid off on the course. Before I get to the good stuff, here's a bit more about me. I'm a 41 y/o male and currently at about a 6 handicap. I am pretty fit and have been lifting and doing cardio pretty intensely and consistently for about 6 years now. As I said, about 16 months ago I wanted to hit the ball further!

All swings recorded with PRGR Black.

Starting Point:
Going into training I maxed out with my driver, while hitting a ball, at around 104mph. I'm a pretty low spin and high launch guy so I was carrying it about 260.
Training Session 1: 12/17/22 - Green 118, Blue 113, Red 107.

I completed all the protocols last June of 2023.

Current:
Training Session 136: 4/1/24 - Green 131, Blue 126, Red 121

Personal Bests:
These were set in the last few weeks!
Green 133, Blue 127, Red 121.
Driver (without ball): 124

These days I average about 112-113 hitting a ball after a speed session. On course I suspect I'm around 110-111 and I'm seeing 275-280 carry's.

Sidenotes:
-I have always done about a 12 min warm before my sessions. It includes jumping jacks, squat jumps, and static stretches. My main goal of my warm up is to not only get loose but to get my heart rate up and break a light sweat (especially in the winter in my garbage!). In doing this I sometimes hit my fastest speeds in my first sets. The idea is to be fast in my first sets but not tire out before my last set of the day. 12 minutes and getting a light sweat works for me.

-About a year ago I also starting incorporating some golf specific exercises into my lifts (cable rotations, trunk rotations, etc) as well as some stretching. I feel like those things did help.

-I have never done the non-dominant swings. I've always felt like my gym routine and core exercises were programmed well enough to be sure I train my body evenly.

-For the majority of 2023 I was lifting 5 days a week early in the mornings and those workouts did overlap days I did speed training. It didn't seem to be a big deal at first but after about 5 months I saw a dip in speeds despite changing nothing! After finishing the protocols I backed off to 2 lifts a week (very intense), and 2 speed training days (56 swings each day). This way I could prioritize a rest day before a speed day. My speeds IMMEDIATELY jumped up and ending up being faster than ever after doing so. Mind you this was 70 sessions deep into my speed training! REST MATTERS.

-I now do a mixed program 2 days a week of my favorite drills. I do 4 swings per set instead of 3 b/c over time I found that sometimes my 4th swing is the fastest but never the 5th. I take 45 seconds of rest after EVERY set, instead of the longer rest before the red set. Everything I've read about speed training says that more rest is better. I have found that 45 seconds is the perfect amount for me to maintain rhythm but also be fresh for the next set. I have also substituted the blue stick for my driver in 2 out of my 4 drills. I've felt like getting a feel for the clubface and swinging my driver more at max speed has been beneficial to translate the speed from the sticks to my driver better. I also always take a minimum of 5 driver swings (sometimes many more lol), while hitting a ball into a net, at the end of my sessions to measure progress and try to translate speed from sticks to hitting a ball.

-From the beginning I have always done an extra drill... swings while kneeling. I know they took that out of the protocols, but I felt like increasing arm speed was very good for me as I am more of a body swinger than an arm swinger. I also felt like it helps with flexibility but who knows.

-The one thing that continues to drive me is that I can routinely swing my driver, without hitting a ball, upwards of 122 mph. I can sometimes get an outlier swing while hitting a ball around 115+ but I usually see a 10mph drop while hitting a ball. I'm still trying to find ways to narrow that margin!

I know that was a long post, but if anyone has questions feel free to ask. I have 136 sessions between all my spreadsheets! I don't really ever plan on stopping, just trying to find ways to get 1-2 more mph!
Appreciate the post. Welcome to THP!

I guess it's not for me, lot of time and effort for 8-10 yards but better health too though, maybe more important. Good job. Nobody said it would be easy, right? :)

Week 3 Session 1

Notes:
  • Delayed start for the week sue to work, family and life. I hate that I'm not as consistent with the schedule as I'd like to be.
  • This was yesterday, indoors with very little warm up.
  • I've played one round outdoors since starting and several indoors. I feel like I trust myself to go for it a lot more in real driver swings. I'm not holding back with the body as much as I feel like I used to. That's already a positive change.
  • Distance wise, we'll see once the outdoor season really starts.
  • I really, really need to start doing the dynamic warm-up before.
1712516553088.png
1712516582500.png
1712516601065.png

Week 3 Session 2

Notes:
  • Finally had a chance to do the dynamic warmup before doing the session. It was useful, since my back is really sore. Not because of the training, but the futon bed we have at home. It will be changed soon, as my back just isn't built for it.
  • I'm starting figure stuff out, thanks to the Blast Golf app and sensor. My top speeds have all come from releasing the club head properly. I can have 2-4 mph more hand speed, but because it's way too late and I'm releasing late, it doesn't translate to club head speed consistently. So I'm trying to work on releasing the club a bit sooner.
  • Wouldn't have know this without the app and sensor, just using my body feelings and a launch monitor.
  • I have a feeling, it (inconsistent release) is also causing me to block some shots late and some pull hooks.
1712599342831.png
1712599358090.png
1712599371789.png

Outside of the adding the kneeling swings, I did all protocols as written until completion. By the end I definitely had my favorite drills for my swing that I knew if I kept going I wanted to come back to. I also really wanted to incorporate more raw driver swings so this is what I’ve landed on…

2 days a week:

Regular Full Swing
Green x4, Blue x4, Red x4

Kneeling

Double Step

Regular Full Swing
Green x4, Blue x4, Red x4, Driver x4

Finish: Minimum 4 driver swings hitting ball into net.

I’ve seen really good results with this. Not saying it’s best for everyone just seems to fit me well. I kept reading that you can see great results from less volume and figured I’d try it. Thought maybe I would just maintain but I actually did get faster from the end of the protocols. Part of that might be the added rest of my lifts though.

I would encourage everyone to try to do all the protocols and drills and then experiment with your favorites after completing the program. Once I started listening to my body more and made tweaks it got even better. But had I not done all the protocols I wouldn’t have had the experience along the way to make the tweaks I made.

Good luck!

Training day tomorrow!
That sounds like a good routine after going through the program.

What helps the most to promote more release speed? The kneeling swings?

I think I’m about to head down this route. Time for some speed training.

For those that have gone through this would you say it helped pick up speed and distance?

Weather mostly cooperated this week and was able to do 3 days of the level 1 protocol.

Day 1 was interesting. The green stick was interesting because my swing felt super out of sync with the light weight stick. The step change drill felt so unnatural. My fastest swings were with the blue stick.

Day 2 was really good. Things came together and felt a lot less like Bambi on ice. My fastest swings were with the green stick and almost 7 mph faster than day one. I hit balls a few hours later and my driver was up to 106.8 mph which is 5-6 mph faster than what I’ve seen recently.

Day 3 (today) it was 39° and there’s snow on the ground so I didn’t setup the radar and sped through the set. Things felt good and the step changes felt way better today.

Next session is Monday.

Back