SuperSpeed Golf Training and Testing thread

I can see how those launch monitors like the PRGR can measure your swing speed - and you can see progress in that. But it truly can't measure your ball distance. I imagine that is only a number assuming you hit the ball right in the sweet spot. If not, or your hitting down on the ball, or catch it in the heel or toe - it ain't traveling as far as the monitor says.

I can see how those launch monitors like the PRGR can measure your swing speed - and you can see progress in that. But it truly can't measure your ball distance. I imagine that is only a number assuming you hit the ball right in the sweet spot. If not, or your hitting down on the ball, or catch it in the heel or toe - it ain't traveling as far as the monitor says.

When you are doing the protocol you aren't hitting balls - it isn't the intention of that device. I wouldn't buy the PRGR to replace a Trackman or GC4 - but it is invaluable to measure your progress during Swing Speed Training

When you are doing the protocol you aren't hitting balls - it isn't the intention of that device. I wouldn't buy the PRGR to replace a Trackman or GC4 - but it is invaluable to measure your progress during Swing Speed Training
Yea, I agree with @TRyan here. This sounds a little overboard, but I have the MLM2, SkyTrak+, R10, and PRGR. The PRGR is what I pull out if I'm doing speed testing.

Also, should note that it does measure ball speed (and is reasonably accurate).

Hitting a ball is different! How many yards have you realistically gained? If your not gaining at least 10 yards from all that work and time, then it's not worth it for me.

Finally managed to start my program today and didn't even destroy any more property. Since @skeeterman made such a good template for posts, I'll just rudely jack it and use for reporting.

Week 1 Session 1

Notes:
  • Got interrupted several times by my kids and also neighbours walking up to ask what the hell I was doing :LOL:
  • Step changes from the non-dominant side were atrocious and definitely need more co-ordination than I had the first time
  • Didn't have a chance to record a start speed with a driver, but a recent Trackman session, where I was going full speed was aroun 97-98 mph max.
  • Speeds recorded with the Blast Golf sensor, which I'll dive into more fully later on.
  • I should've warmed up better prior to starting, which is reflected on the slow speeds in the start
  • The last Green Sticks were pretty gassed out :D
Normal Swings:
  1. 3 Swings Each Side – Green Stick (Light)
  2. 3 Swings Each Side – Blue Stick (Medium)
  3. 3 Swings Each Side – Red Stick (Heavy)

Swing Stick ColorHandednessFastest Recorded Shot
GreenDominant (RH)102
GreenNon-Dominant (LH)97
BlueDominant (RH)102
BlueNon-Dominant (LH)102
RedDominant (RH)98
RedNon-Dominant (LH)97

Step Change Swings
GreenDominant (RH)112
GreenNon-Dominant (LH)115
BlueDominant (RH)106
BlueNon-Dominant (LH)104
RedDominant (RH)104
RedNon-Dominant (LH)105

Max Out
  1. 3 Swings – Green Stick (Light) – Dominant hand only
GreenDominant (RH)108

Here's a quick look at how Blast Golf shows the data:
1710622622638.jpeg

At least the neighbours who live further couldn't see my escapades. And I had a nice view.
1710622722454.jpeg

In fairness I jacked it someone else so feel free! :D In reply to NEChas I did see a double-digit yardage gain. Also, my dispersion improved greatly and I can't emphasize enough how much doing the dynamic exercises every day will help with your overall flexibility.

Thanks for reply. So we got one of ya's with 10yd gain on course. I know its a project/work,. I don't think I could use them religiously and gym would be big help too but that's a tough one to commit to also. :) I do yoga and stretching exercises every day, got away from any strength exercising. :(

Last edited:
I know its a project/work,. I don't think I could use them religiously
If you don't do it religiously, then it's not going to do much for you. And I find it can be hard, when 3 weeks in, you aren't seeing much benefit.
I've done it over the winter, and never stayed with it long enough to actually hit balls and see the difference. I have seen a 5mph increase in swing speed after 3 weeks, though. But after 3 weeks, I went on vacation and stopped. I'm going to start up again tomorrow, and see if I can stay with it for at least another month. All the courses should be opening here in the next two weeks, so I'll be able to see if it's actually helping.
I find that it can be difficult to swing properly when trying to swing as hard as you can. You can feel like you're swinging as fast as you possibly can, but if it's not a good swing, it will be slower than other swings that feel much slower. So I need to really focus on making good, fast swings, and not just fast swings.

Tomorrow I restart.... but not for speed. I find that I have a better sequence and am not fighting my swing when I really loosen up and try to swing fast. Just makes sense to start now that the weather is allowing for some outside work

I was supposedly too busy last night to post yesterdays session records.

Week 1 Session 2

Notes:

• Should probably really start warming up before...
  • Step changes were better today, also from the non-dominant side. I suppose years of floorball will have something to do with the movement not being that weird any more.
  • Need to dig up an excel sheet to track progress...
Normal Swings:

GreenDominant (RH)106
GreenNon-Dominant (LH)104
BlueDominant (RH)106
BlueNon-Dominant (LH)97
RedDominant (RH)103
RedNon-Dominant (LH)97

Step Change Swings

GreenDominant (RH)113
GreenNon-Dominant (LH)114
BlueDominant (RH)113
BlueNon-Dominant (LH)101
RedDominant (RH)101
RedNon-Dominant (LH)104

Max Out

1. 3 Swings – Green Stick (Light) – Dominant hand only
GreenDominant (RH)111

Interesting stuff, @Inioch ! Your non-dominant swings are pretty damn good.

You definitely turned a corner on the speed when you hit the step change swings. I wonder if that feel of the weight shift/ground force unlocked something for you.

Interesting stuff, @Inioch ! Your non-dominant swings are pretty damn good.

You definitely turned a corner on the speed when you hit the step change swings. I wonder if that feel of the weight shift/ground force unlocked something for you.
I believe it does. I've been trying to get some of that into my regular swing, but haven't yet been able to do it. I feel like the "normal" swing is generating power mostly from the torso and hands, instead of building from the ground up.

I've played floorball for about 15 years and as someone who plays from the left, the non-dominant side is matching closer to that. It's similiar to when hockey players start golf and swing from the same side as the play.

When starting goIf, I decided to play from the right exactly because I didn't want those mechanics to mess my swing. My brother chose the opposite route and it shows.

I believe it does. I've been trying to get some of that into my regular swing, but haven't yet been able to do it. I feel like the "normal" swing is generating power mostly from the torso and hands, instead of building from the ground up.

I've played floorball for about 15 years and as someone who plays from the left, the non-dominant side is matching closer to that. It's similiar to when hockey players start golf and swing from the same side as the play.

When starting goIf, I decided to play from the right exactly because I didn't want those mechanics to mess my swing. My brother chose the opposite route and it shows.
When you get into Protocol 2, the stomp swings are really good for ground force feels. It's not easy. I work on it a bunch in my normal lessons. It's weird, because if you put a ball or any other implement in my hand, I can use the ground just like I'm supposed to. The static nature of the golf swing makes it very hard though.

When you get into Protocol 2, the stomp swings are really good for ground force feels. It's not easy. I work on it a bunch in my normal lessons. It's weird, because if you put a ball or any other implement in my hand, I can use the ground just like I'm supposed to. The static nature of the golf swing makes it very hard though.
I feel like that's the same for me. Throw something, kick something or play any other sport and it's natural. But to be able to do it in a golf swing? Nothing there yet. I need to get a chair with wheels to do the ground force trainings...

I feel like that's the same for me. Throw something, kick something or play any other sport and it's natural. But to be able to do it in a golf swing? Nothing there yet. I need to get a chair with wheels to do the ground force trainings...
What I'm learning is I need to get on my lead side much, much earlier than I originally thought. Like it feels as if I'm on my lead side before I'm even done with my backswing.

What I'm learning is I need to get on my lead side much, much earlier than I originally thought. Like it feels as if I'm on my lead side before I'm even done with my backswing.
That's a weird thought. But I kind of see the point. I have a feeling my early extension problems are also related to lack of proper weight shift. I worked on that a bit with my coach last year, but need to get back at it properly.

I feel like such a spaz doing the Step Change. I really struggle to get them right (or anything close to resembling right). Not to mention the non-dominated side.

Any tips or suggestions?

I feel like such a spaz doing the Step Change. I really struggle to get them right (or anything close to resembling right). Not to mention the non-dominated side.

Any tips or suggestions?
I found the sequencing easier to do if done like they show on one of the videos, where the stick is a bit forward of center when feet are together. And forward in the swing direction.

Then when you start the backswing, once the stick passes your midline, start the step forward. You should then be finishing the step when the stick is in the top position and you explode to the downswing. I start the downswing pretty much as the front leg hits the ground.

It's easier to get the sequencing right, as you're not trying to start to move two things in opposite directions at the same time.

Thanks good explanation. I’ve watched the videos and tried to do exactly that. I guess maybe I need to try it more and slow motion first to get the hang of it.

I’ll keep at it. Eventually I should be able to do it.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Thanks good explanation. I’ve watched the videos and tried to do exactly that. I guess maybe I need to try it more and slow motion first to get the hang of it.

I’ll keep at it. Eventually I should be able to do it.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did several slow reps yesterday to get a feel for the motion before going full speed. The first session was me feeling like a giraffe because I just figured, it can't be that hard 😀

Any tips or suggestions?
Non-dom is very difficult with step changes, since there's so much coordination involved.

Just make sure that front foot is firmly planted before you go. Similar to how you'd step and then throw a ball.

Week 1 Session 3

Notes:

• Went Excel, I want to see the progress plotted!
  • First time doing the dynamic warm-up before training
  • Still about 0c outside, my hands are freezing :LOL:
  • Trying to get the legs to work in the swing too, maybe some progress at times, as there was more variance between swings and speeds
  • The fast swings felt fast today!
1710938055199.png
1710938098966.png
1710938168090.png

Back