TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

Hey everyone! So today I went golfing at a very short course, and played 9 holes. I wasn't too sure what to expect, as yesterday on the range I occasionally caught the ball thin, and wasn't exactly sure of what my distances were. What a difference a day makes, as today I could really do know wrong with these irons. I didn't really have a lot of chances to use the irons, as most of the holes required just a short approach shot with the wedge. Here is a simple breakdown of my activity with the irons on the day.

1st Hole: I was about 160 out, and the green was probably 15 feet above the fairway. This is usually a 9 iron, so I pull it out of the bag. When I addressed the ball, I felt as if I was going to kill it. I am loving the 2 degree upright lie, as it is just perfect for me. I took my normal swing and missed a little left, but I was long. I'm talking about 10 yards longer than where I thought the ball should have landed. The shot felt like butter when I hit it, so I thought maybe I just really got into it.

2nd Hole: This hole is a 190 yard par 3. I took the 6 iron out, which is what I usually hit. Once again, my alignment was off. But, the distance again was longer than usual. Another solidly struck shot that was longer than anticipated. From here I decided to make an adjustment for the distance difference.

3rd Hole was driver wedge, 4th and 5th hole was 4 wood on green and 10 yards short of green (both pars :banghead:)

6th Hole: This is a par 5. The only iron I hit here was a PW from 155 and once again misaligned myself. This time the distance was judged right though.

7th Hole is a very short par 3. No iron used

8th Hole: On this par 4, I was sitting about 195 out from an elevated green, between me and the green was a very big tree, so I took my 6 iron and decided to cut the ball around it. I barely mis-hit the shot, and could tell based on the feedback the club gives. It's just a very small feeling you get that lets you know you were a little off. The ball still cut for me though, just not as much as I wanted, and the ball ended up left of the green. Once again, I am noticing that these irons are pretty forgiving.

9th Hole: 150 yard par 3. I know that my PW has been going farther than 150, but I wanted to hit it on my last hole. I took a little off of my swing, and I caught it so pure. The ball had a nice little draw to it, and I thought I had holed it. Turns out I put it on the very back of the green, and it carried about 163ish, and backed up an inch.

I can't believe how much distance I've gained from clubs that have the exact same loft as my other set. A pure shot feels so much better than the Burner Plus, and they travel 10 yards farther on average. As I mentioned yesterday, I wanted to focus on workability in my next range session. Well while I was on the course, I figured I would try to shape a few shots. Everything worked out just fine. Even the shot I mis-hit slightly still shaped in there nicely. I still think other irons I have hit are more forgiving than these, but there is an ample amount of forgiveness in these clubs. Plenty enough for me. There are hardly any marks on any of the irons after a range session and 9 holes of use. The finish is holding up nicely still as well. What I did notice today more than yesterday was the head of these is slightly smaller than that of the Burner Plus, and the top line is a little thinner which I like a lot. It was obvious that the soles were much thinner, but I just noticed this today. I like the look that these irons offer aesthetically and performance wise. I will be taking the next day off for the 4th. The next time these are in use will be Tuesday when I travel to the PGA Superstore to get number differences between these irons and my other sets. I also need an accurate reading of 4 iron distance so I can get a Mashie to fill my 4 wood to 4 iron gap! I'll post Tuesday of any interesting differences I see between the sets. Until then, I wish you all a Happy 4th of July!

Great write up tomahawk18!! Grea tto hear you are enjoying these as much as you are and they are impressing you. I am curious if everyone is experiencing this "one to two club" increase in distance over their previous sets of irons and also if this continues for you as well. That is some great results and congrats to you tomahawk18 on a great round today!

Hey testers, question for yall. To those who have the A wedge, how does it fit in with the set? Is the weighting a noticeable difference? If you played a traditional gap wedge prior to the 2.0 how does it compare to a "blade" wedge?

My set ends at PW and I'm seriously considering adding in the A wedge vs buying an additional wedge when I upgrade my 54 & 58*.
Thanks for your input so far.

--
tapatalk

Hope you don't mind me jumping in SW. I got the 2.0 AW and I like it a lot. It feels just like a higher lofted version of the PW to me. I'm hesitant to take full swings with blade-like wedges because I seem to catch them thin or fat either due to the different weighting or maybe the sharper leading edges. The 2.0 AW may not spin as much as a blade-like wedge, but I have no issue taking full swings, or partial pitching swings.

I know what you all mean about the distances. They really are a club longer than the x22s I played previously. I'm hitting an 8 iron 145 where that was almost exactly my 7 iron distance before.

Hey testers, question for yall. To those who have the A wedge, how does it fit in with the set? Is the weighting a noticeable difference? If you played a traditional gap wedge prior to the 2.0 how does it compare to a "blade" wedge?

My set ends at PW and I'm seriously considering adding in the A wedge vs buying an additional wedge when I upgrade my 54 & 58*.

--
tapatalk

My set has the SW, not the AW. I currently carry the 2010 JAWS wedges form Callaway. I did hit this SW once yesterday on the range, and have chipped with it in the yard some. Compared to the other irons, it offers the same great feeling with a pure shot, but the spin is noticeably less than the JAWS wedges I currently play, which I'm sure you would imagine. Nothing beats the feel of a pure wedge shot that is a forged blade though. At least not in my book.

EDIT: I also agree with adwillingham's perspective.

Thanks ad and jr. I'm not to concerned with spin with that club. Like ad I am hesitant to take full shots with my 588 gw, most of the times it works out ok, but when its bad its real bad.

I'll give the 2.0 a whirl on Wednesday.

--
tapatalk

Our sets go from 4 - PW (45*) and they added a SW (55*). They skipped the AW (50*). Big gap for a set straight from the OEM. I would probably not have ordered it that way if given a choice. (obviously not complaining) :) It will be interesting to put my 54* xft wedge on the shelf and game a 50*xft, then the SW, and a 58* xft. Odd to have 2 aftermarket wedges sandwiching a matching set SW. I'm sure I will get used to it!

Great job guys you are doing a great Job Like all that info Josh. Tomahawk you have to be one big dude looks like your shoulders are as high as the refrigerator.lol... Keep it up !Look forward to more great stuff...

--
tapatalk

I'm not part of the testing but do own the 2.0's 4i - AW. I like the AW a lot, it's my primary chipping club (I've holed out with it twice in 3 rounds I've played since I bought these irons, and put a whole bunch more in gimme range) and my 90 - 100y club. I also carry a 58* wedge, so do have a small gap, but that range has never been problematic for me to take something off the longer club. I have but don't carry a 54* and a 60* for if I need to change things up some but at my talent level PW & AW & 58* works just fine.

Great write ups so far guys, sounds like you're all seeing some good results with these beauties. :D

Based solely on write-ups I want to buy the 2.0!! Great job so far guys, TM are just inches away from a new customer! Have to try them out at the range next week.

Excellent round with new irons, TH. Wow.

Keep up the great work, testers!

Has anyone had a problem hitting these on the toe? I am having this with every iron in the set. I ordered stiff graphite standard lie and they are great when I hit them solid, but that is quite rare. I find them quite upright and think I may be doing something in the downswing to compensate, because I do have flat divots. The divots are deeper than I would like often, but even good shots are toeyand never in the heel. My last set was stiff graphite Accras in R7 TP irons and I did not have this problem.

Hope you don't mind me jumping in SW. I got the 2.0 AW and I like it a lot. It feels just like a higher lofted version of the PW to me. I'm hesitant to take full swings with blade-like wedges because I seem to catch them thin or fat either due to the different weighting or maybe the sharper leading edges. The 2.0 AW may not spin as much as a blade-like wedge, but I have no issue taking full swings, or partial pitching swings.

I know what you all mean about the distances. They really are a club longer than the x22s I played previously. I'm hitting an 8 iron 145 where that was almost exactly my 7 iron distance before.

Everyone is talking about them being 1-2 clubs longer and forgiving, what a great and seemingly deadly combo. Glad everyone is liking them so much

Just wanted to comment along with Josh_Ross. We played that course together, and even though I didn't hit them, these irons seem amazing. The sound these irons make is so nice to hear. I have played several rounds with Josh, and I do have to say that these clubs are long. The times he did get to use them yesterday were long, very long. And even though I'm not testing it sure is fun to watch someone hit with them.

Has anyone had a problem hitting these on the toe? I am having this with every iron in the set. I ordered stiff graphite standard lie and they are great when I hit them solid, but that is quite rare. I find them quite upright and think I may be doing something in the downswing to compensate, because I do have flat divots. The divots are deeper than I would like often, but even good shots are toeyand never in the heel. My last set was stiff graphite Accras in R7 TP irons and I did not have this problem.

So far I have not had this issue. I seem to be hitting most of my shots near the sweet spot with the 2.0's so far. Were you fitted for your shafts? I am using the KBS Tour shaft which was recommended as part of my fitting last year, so I am pretty confident in it. Also I am coming from R9 irons with KBS 90's in them, so my adjustments have been minor, just the shaft weight difference.

I'm not part of the testing but do own the 2.0's 4i - AW. I like the AW a lot, it's my primary chipping club (I've holed out with it twice in 3 rounds I've played since I bought these irons, and put a whole bunch more in gimme range) and my 90 - 100y club. I also carry a 58* wedge, so do have a small gap, but that range has never been problematic for me to take something off the longer club. I have but don't carry a 54* and a 60* for if I need to change things up some but at my talent level PW & AW & 58* works just fine.

Thanks keto, all opinions are welcome! The bolded part has been on my mind a lot lately, especially with finding some mid-high bounce 58* wedges that I like. With the Attack wedge at 50* I don't think I will have much of a distance gap with the 58*. Just need to get on some grass and experiment a little more...and here I thought I had it all figured out after the demo day at the outing :struggle:

Just got the news that I'm going to be able to get out for a round today. I'm going to be gaming the 2.0's. More to come later!!

Sent from my Epic 4g using Tapatalk.

Awesome stuff in this thread so far guys! Those clubs look awesome!

This has yet to be a problem for me. It sounds like the shaft could be causing it. I too am catching them all in the sweet spot except that first session where I hit them thin.

Tappin' away from my DROIDX.

I'm not a tester here, but I've had these clubs for a week now. One thing I noticed when I initially switched over was my overcompensation for the longer shaft. Whenever I tried to adjust for the newer irons my shots would be off. As I've used them more and more my swing with these babies is more natural and I'm hitting the sweet spot quite often.

Just got the news that I'm going to be able to get out for a round today. I'm going to be gaming the 2.0's. More to come later!!

Sent from my Epic 4g using Tapatalk.

Looking forward to hearing about your round

Used my 6 iron again over a par 3 with water, all carry, knocked it on the green and rolled in the putt for birdie. Also used it for a couple of other shots and was very impressed again. Hope someone is nice to me for Christmas and gets me some or I get the cash to get them myself since I didn't get a set to test!

Used my 6 iron again over a par 3 with water, all carry, knocked it on the green and rolled in the putt for birdie. Also used it for a couple of other shots and was very impressed again. Hope someone is nice to me for Christmas and gets me some or I get the cash to get them myself since I didn't get a set to test!

Good luck with getting a set. They are absolutely amazing so far.

So I went out and played today at a local course and brought the 2.0's with me. I haven't had a chance to hit them at all yet so I figured a blind test would do some good.

One other thing I forgot to mention with my first impression was that these are a bit lighter feeling than my current irons. I didn't think that would effect my swing to much so I didn't think about it too much. They also have a smaller cavity back opening which really gives me the illusion of a players club.

So, onto the round...

Hole 1
Driver, forged wedge

Hole 2
First opportunity to hit the 2.0's. 134 yard par 3 and I played my normal PW. Lined up and hit it decently. Faded a little bit right but was pin high on the right fringe. I also noticed that they were very quiet compared to my old irons. Not a bad thing, just quiet.

Hole 3:
362 yard par 4. Tee off with a 7I. Hit it a bit fat but still went ~150 yards and dead straight. Left with around 175 to the hole, all over water and about 20 yards in front of me. I flushed it and it started out straight for the hole but clipped a branch and fell about 15 yards short in the water.

Hole 4:
470 yard par 5. Tee off with hybrid, pushed it right, left with 150 to layup area. Flushed a 9I and landed it within 2 yards of the 150 marker. Played 9I again at green, pushed it a bit right and it landed about 5 yards short.

Hole 5:
Par 3 143 yards. 9I pushed a bit right again but pin high on right fringe.

Hole 6:
306 par 4 slight dogleg left. Drove the green.

Hole 7:
Long par 5, 570 yards. Driver to ~260 with green a bit downhill. Topped a 5I about 20 yards Tried again and crushed it to about 15 yards short of the green. First really good straight shot of the day. About 20 yards longer than my normal 5I shot.

Hole 8:
Driver, forged wedge.

Hole 9:
Hybrid, forged wedge.

Hole 10:
Driver, forged wedge.

Hole 11:
126 yard par 3. PW pushed right and a bit short. Story of the day right?

Hole 12:
Hell hole. 571 yard par 5. Hybrid off tee, hybrid second shot. 175 left to the hole and I flush a 7I to about 10 feet. Felt amazing with a nice piercing flight.

Hole 13:
Short 430 yard par 5. Hybrid off tee. 7I around dogleg right, perfect placement. 85 left to hole and I decided to play the SW for the first time. Flushed it and stuck it to within 2 feet of the pin. Foreshadowing of more to come with the SW.

Hole 14:
174 yard par 3. Play a 7I and hit it just a bit long over the green.

Hole 15:
Driver, forged wedge.

Hole 16:
Short par 3, 131 yards. Hit a soft PW and leave it about 5 yards short of green and front pin. Straight at the pin, just a bit short.

Hole 17:
321 yard par 4. 5I off the tee to about 125. PW flies the green by 10 yards. Pull out the SW and stick nearly make it, within 3 feet. SW is very quickly replacing my 60* wedge.

Hole 18:
I decide to get cocky and have a driving contest with my dad. He tees off and hits it about 235 down the middle. I pull the 4I. Haven't hit it to this point so I don't know what to expect. I felt pretty confident so I took a huge swing at it. Measured with my phone GPS that I had crushed it 247 yards!!! Wonderful flight on the ball, started nice and low and slowly rose up. Beautiful to see.

So to sum this gigantic post up, I shot a 91 the first time out with these clubs. So far they have performed pretty well for me. I'll just have to pay attention to what causes me to push them. I play again wednesday for my work golf league. I'll write up another update after that 9. I can't wait to get out and hit these again. The only thing that concerned me just a bit was seeing what looked like chip marks on the face of a few irons. I'll snap a few pics and get your opinions on it.

Let me know if anyone has any questions!

Last edited:
I was able to hit the range yesterday for a good hour and put the Burner 2.0s through some more lengthy testing. After my normal wamrup, I hit a few warmup shots with my vokeys. Then I pulled the B2 PW. The first few were off the toe and man I really noticed a different feel. Its apparent when you toe one, as the sound is very muted and the there is some vibration through the hands. I did notice the toe miss did fly farther than my old CG Gold irons. After a slight setup change, I was finding the face more consistently. The B2s would go about 3 yards shorter on truly perfectly struck shots and fly a bit lower than my CGs. But, on not so well struck shots, the B2s would go farther than the CGs. I love the weight of the PX shaft, a big difference from the light stock shaft in my CGs. The added weight seems to be helping my tempo slow down a bit which will hopefully help my hook miss.

I also hit my 6 iron, but the results werent as good as my PW. I had the 6iron going off the toe a bit consistently, causing some considerable draw spin. A few were definite hooks, but most were draws / hard draws. It was pretty hot, so I know my tempo was getting quick (obvious recurring swing flaw).

I was able to really hit the Mashie M3 well today. That club is phenomenal how straight it flies if you swing as slow as possible. Its getting promoted to replace my Nike hybrid.

Back