TaylorMade Project 5 Golf Ball Review Thread

War Eagle, I was just curious when you were talking about hard greens and just being replaced were you talking about the highlands at the meadows?

Yes sir, I was.

Its a pretty good course but the greens did sound hollow. One more question for you if you don't mind. Have you ever played the 20xi-x and if so how that and the project 5 compare?

Its a pretty good course but the greens did sound hollow. One more question for you if you don't mind. Have you ever played the 20xi-x and if so how that and the project 5 compare?
I've played it a bit, and would say that the Project 5/Lethal definitely had a softer feel to it off the tee and on iron shots, and offered a ton more spin than the 20XI-X. Distance was comparable.

I've played it a bit, and would say that the Project 5/Lethal definitely had a softer feel to it off the tee and on iron shots, and offered a ton more spin than the 20XI-X. Distance was comparable.

I appreciate the info. Play well. On a side not if anyone is looking for original Penta TP I still have about 4 dozen new left.

I appreciate the info. Play well. On a side not if anyone is looking for original Penta TP I still have about 4 dozen new left.

Love the Penta TP. Send me a PM

Tapping away on my S3

I might have to give these a whirl. Love the ball pattern. Also dig the all white box.

so i got a dozen of these off ebay last mo after one round i loved them so much i ordered 2 dozen new balls
They feel better than both TP5 & Penta softer and longer

TaylorMade Lethal Ball Impressions

TaylorMade Lethal Ball Impressions

Hi everyone!

Well, this is my first review on THP so I feel it is best to give a bit of background on myself - I play 95% of my golf in the Northeast Area in weather ranging from 40-90+ degrees (over 30 rounds last season) - I consider myself a fairly decent golfer shoot in the high 80s/low 90s typically. Hope to get that down this season after I went through some lessons in the winter/off season.

Either way, I carry pretty much all TaylorMade clubs as you can see in my Avatar and play primarily Titleist ProV1X balls due to the fact I get a fair amount of spin on my shots and felt that with my driver the ProV1 would "balloon" a little too much for me.

I played the Penta TP5 last season to try them out however I found that after 1-2 good full wedge shots, my ball would almost always get the gills - no good for a avid golfer who would like some durability in their equipment. Which is why I almost always are back playing the ProV1X.

Either way, I picked up a dozen TMade Lethals and played them throughout my entire round yesterday. Below are my thoughts/impressions.

At address: ball squares up nicely with any club and you essentially have 2 alignment aids - One being the "Taylormade" name and two being the "Lethal" ball name

Feel: Not as hard as compared to the ProV1X and not as soft as a TP5 - I found this on all shots and especially the putter - I did leave a good amount of putts short while playing and this will just take some getting used to

Driver shots: Off the tee, this ball is LONG which was my immediate impression - has a nice boring flight with a medium-high trajectory - as for feel off the driver, as before stated, is softer but not mushy - almost a just right feeling (for me who prefers a harder feeling ball) - as for workability, easy to manipulate shots for fades or draws

Hybrid shots: I did not hit my Hybrids off the tee but did use it off the fairway and out of the rough about 5-6 times- similar results as when using the driver - straight, higher trajectory with the Hybrids - did not have a change to hit into the green with a Hybrid, but ball flight was nice with a steeper angle of decent.

Long iron shots: Hit my 4 and 5 iron with this ball out of the rough and off the fairway - and all I can say is the ball promotes a great feel and almost really brings out the "spring" effect of my Burner 2.0 irons - hit the 5i into the green and when I got up the ballmark was under a foot from where the ball rested - similar to ProV1s "drop and stop" effect - mid trajectory with a nice decent with the long irons

Mid irons: I did not have a chance to hit my 6 iron with them, but with the 7 had the same feel as with the 4 and 5 with a slightly higher trajectory and steeper decent - missed the green and hit the fringe on one approach - didn't take a wild bounce and was just off the green

High irons: Hit the 8,9, and P wedge multiple times and I saw consistent, great results - either from out of the rough or the fairway, ball got up fast with a high trajectory and my playing partners could hear the ball spinning nicely through the air - into the green had a nice steep decent with the ball resting about 6 inches-foot from the ball mark

Wedges: Hit the 50* and 56* mostly for chipping - my chipping was very poor overall that day so dont really want to fully comment on that but the few I did hit had a nice "click" feeling and I was able to check it up on half pitches when needed - however, on the handful of full wedge shots I took the ball spins very nicely and would stop almost dead when hitting the green - very high trajectory with the wedge full shots and steep decent on each shot

Spin: The ball spins less in my opinion than a standard ProV1, but more than the ProV1X - especially on approach/wedge shots and longer irons

Durability: After the round now cuts, gills, or scuffs - great thus far!

Putter: As mentioned before this is more of a feel comment by me - is definitely softer off the putter but more of a "click" feeling when compared to the Prov1X - but the ball was consistent distance wise with similar putting strokes

Overall impression: Great ball and will continue to play this until I see a reason not too - much better than Tmade TP5 and will be giving the ProV1X a run for its money!

Thanks and please feel free to comment or ask questions!

Hey bud I think I speak for every THP'er when I say thank you for this review. It was honestly a excellent review for me. Im sure you will continue to add more specs and data as you play more rounds. I didn't know much on the Lethal ball prior to this review, but you have opened my eyes and let me embrace a lot of the characteristics of it. I would sure like to try a few holes with it. I hope you enjoy many more rounds with the Lethal ball. Please continue to update this thread with any new, exciting, weird, or bad news on Lethal.
-Manny M.

Great review. I am looking forward to giving these a go myself.

Hey bud I think I speak for every THP'er when I say thank you for this review. It was honestly a excellent review for me. Im sure you will continue to add more specs and data as you play more rounds. I didn't know much on the Lethal ball prior to this review, but you have opened my eyes and let me embrace a lot of the characteristics of it. I would sure like to try a few holes with it. I hope you enjoy many more rounds with the Lethal ball. Please continue to update this thread with any new, exciting, weird, or bad news on Lethal.
-Manny M.

Thanks Manny!! I will continue to play them and update.

Nice thoughts...a couple more threads on this you might want to check out as well.

TaylorMade-Lethal-Golf-Ball-Preview

TaylorMade-Project-5-Golf-Ball-Review

i saw these also. Great info. Just wanted to contribute another perspective.

Great review. I am looking forward to giving these a go myself.

You will not regret it!

I have 3 sleeves of these to try out this season once this white stuff disappears. Have you had any experience with the Hex Blacks?

I have 3 sleeves of these to try out this season once this white stuff disappears. Have you had any experience with the Hex Blacks?

Hi! I do not...typically only play Titleist.

Cool, I can't wait to hit mine once the weather settles. Thanks for the honest review. I'm excited.

I have a dozen of these also and need to get out and test them. Great review by the way. Sound like great golf balls.

Nice review! I played a dozen TP5s last fall and am finishing a dozen TP3s that I got a nice deal on. I typically don't play a tour ball, because I need a little less spin off the driver. Noticed you said it had a nice trajectory and was straight off the driver for you. Did you feel it was straighter (less spin) than the TP5. I actually liked the TP5 fairly well and like the TP3 fairly well too. Haven't had the durability issues that you have, though. Thanks again for the review.

Great write up. I don't normally pay for premium balls, but I always like to try them if a deal pops up. So I'll keep my eyes open for these.

Nice review! I played a dozen TP5s last fall and am finishing a dozen TP3s that I got a nice deal on. I typically don't play a tour ball, because I need a little less spin off the driver. Noticed you said it had a nice trajectory and was straight off the driver for you. Did you feel it was straighter (less spin) than the TP5. I actually liked the TP5 fairly well and like the TP3 fairly well too. Haven't had the durability issues that you have, though. Thanks again for the review.

I know what you mean by spinning a lot off the driver. I find that with the prov1 and the tP5. I feel the lethal is an overall better ball than the tp5. Just the durability was the killer for me on the tp5. As for spinning less, I am not sure. I felt like the ball was very predictable with what you wanted it to do.

Great write up. I don't normally pay for premium balls, but I always like to try them if a deal pops up. So I'll keep my eyes open for these.

check amazon.com. Picked up a dozen for 40 including shipping.

I played for the first time Saturday and used the Lethal also. I was very impressed with how it played, it is softer than the Penta TP5 and came off the driver and irons very nicely. It also came off the putter very true. I will be playing it some more and report as I use it. So far, no faults with this ball. TaylorMade has a winner!

**Update:

Played the Lethal on Saturday in normal conditions - slight wind but nothing to be worried about - and I must say I am now getting used to this ball and absolutely love it - consistent iron flight, and the wedge spin is superb - hit a few full wedge shots and spun it back with my 56* 2 times - checked the ball after full wedge shots and you could see on the cover where it really gripped the ball but no gills/cuts - also, while I only hit 7 fairways that day (was pushing the driver a bit - swinging too hard), the distance on my drives was superb.

Feel off my milled putter is nice - click feel with predictable distance off the putter

I will say though, I do hit this ball higher than usual however, at the same time I feel it is just as long if not longer than the V1X

**Side note - I found a TP5 on the course that day and hit 2 tee shots for comparison on a 147 Yard uphill Par 3 -hit a full 9-Iron the TP5 had a very similar ball flight to the Lethal but didn't have the stopping power the Lethal had - but the flight was very similar.

Thanks!

Shot a 90 wtih 7 pars, 6 bogeys, and 33 putts (greens were inconsistent but hate to blame the course)

Not to be "that" guy, but the Lethal is not the same ball as the Project 5.

During the PGA Show, the Taylormade rep said that they changed the Project 5 a little bit (something with the dimples, if I recall) when they made the Lethal. (Check the PGA video for yourself.) It's basically the same, but it's not an identical ball. For example, I think that Justin Rose still plays the Project 5 instead of the Lethal.

If I had to guess, I would say that they made the Lethal less "spinnier" than the Project 5. I'm sure a touring pro can handle the Project 5 (since they don't hit many miss hits), but the majority of golfers would benefit from a ball that spins a little less.

Back