TaylorMade Project 5 Golf Ball Review Thread

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
THP and TaylorMade has sent out the TaylorMade "Project 5" ball to 8 forum members for a bit of forum testing and we will be providing feedback in this thread. This thread will be for their reviews, notes, thoughts and any questions that may come up during the testing. Feel free to join in on the conversation of these balls, and ask any questions you may have of the testers.

Checked the mail today and got excited to see a package waiting for me. Got excited when I realized they were the new Project 5 balls from TaylorMade arriving for some forum testing!

Packaging;

59409E50-orig.jpg

F9000B90-orig.jpg

57655742-orig.jpg

First things first; Right off the bat I noticed the almost hexagonal pattern of the dimples. Reminds me of a few other balls that hit the market earlier in the year with a similar pattern. The dimples arent quite hexagonal, but the space in between each dimple (large and small) gives them the appearance of that. Really excited to see how this dimple pattern works out while testing this ball.

Giving these balls a quick look over and feel, I noticed that the cover feels quite soft, a touch bit softer than my every day gamer of the B330 RX.

Very excited to get these out on the course for some initial thoughts. Going in to this completely blind as to what properties the ball is intended to have is quite intriguing, and surely will provide me with some unbiased thoughts when looking at the results.

Those look sweet. I like the looks of the pattern WE.

Excited to see how these perform for you guys.

I noticed the almost hex pattern too, before I read your mention. Do the dimples seem really deep or is it just me?

That dimple looks pretty aggressive, definitely a prominent hex pattern. Looking forward to hearing how these perform.

I do love the golf ball testings on THP, always some VERY good info/thoughts being brought. I'm looking forward to the thoughts.

Also, the 5-ball pack is freaking cool for testing and sticking with the "Project-5" theme. Nice.

I noticed the almost hex pattern too, before I read your mention. Do the dimples seem really deep or is it just me?

I thought this too. Might have been the pic?

Are these replacing a certain ball in the line up or being added as an option

That dimple looks pretty aggressive, definitely a prominent hex pattern. Looking forward to hearing how these perform.
It does appear aggressive, but the dimples aren't any deeper than normal, from what I can tell.

I do not think that has been announced yet.

That was the first thing I noticed as well

Forgive me if I have missed it, but have there been any clues given as to who these are aimed at? Fast / slow swing speed? High / low handicap?

I thought that I read that these were replacing the TP5 line. I could be mistaken.

I also noticed the hex dimple pattern. Very interesting. Not as pronounced as the Callaway Hex Black, but I don't recall a TM ball having this type of dimples before.

I'll upload the photos from my opening this evening, but WE's photos are much, much better. I'll also include my initial thoughts on the testing, including my background and expectations. Currently, I just hope to compete the testing without losing all five balls.

That was the first thing I noticed as well

Forgive me if I have missed it, but have there been any clues given as to who these are aimed at? Fast / slow swing speed? High / low handicap?

I know some Tour Pros have put them in play, so I would imagine it's going to be their higher end ball.

A little about me and my testing plan. My GHIN is currently 9.3. My typical distances with a few clubs: Driver=240yds-250yds, 7 iron=150yds, Pitching Wedge=105 yds. I've been playing about 2.5 years with the '10 model of the Bridgestone B330-RX. I purchased 4 dozen of theses balls back in the spring when they were marked on clearance when the new model came out. I received two sleeves of the '12 model of the Bridgestone B330-RX at the Atlanta Invitational, which I've yet to put into play. I'll be comparing the TaylorMade Project 5 test balls to these two versions of the Bridgestone B330-RX.

60 Days and 5 balls. My first thoughts are don't lose them! My home course has a lot of hazards so initially I'll be using the Project 5 balls on select holes where I'm not likely to have lost balls. I'll reserve 2 of the balls for short game testing around the practice greens, both chipping and putting. I'll use 3 of the balls for direct on course comparison to the B330-RX.

Below are some images from my test balls. You can see that all three of these ball models have different dimple patterns. From holding the ball in my hand I could not discern any noticeable difference in cover softness between the three.

I'll get these out on the course this week and get some thoughts on how they play.

DSCN0376.jpg

DSCN0377.jpg

DSCN0378.jpg

DSCN0380.jpg

Looking forward to the reviews. I've been playing the TP5 since it's release and think it's a great ball. Interested to see how this one compares.

I got home from golf today and the wife told me I had a package and lo and behold it was my Taylor Made Project 5 golf balls!!!! Here are a few pics

IMG_0343.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0341.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0340.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is a pic of a TP5 next to a Project 5 just for comparison

IMG_0345.jpg
[/IMG]

I may take these out to test tomorrow if the leaves aren't bad and hopefully I can strike the ball better than I did today.

I like the symmetry of the 5s. The dimple pattern sure looks different. Can't wait to see how they perform.

I'm hoping to receive my sleeve tomorrow. I won't bother posting any pictures of the first impressions since the other reviewers seem to have that covered, however I will update this post once they come in and add some thought. I figure I'll include a bit about my game/abilities as well as my future testing plan with the Project 5 ball.

While I do not have an official handicap (I use OOB), my handicap waivers between about 7 and 10. The carry distances on a few select clubs are: Driver: 250 yds, 5 iron: 175 yds, 7 iron: 155 yds, PW: 125 yds. I rely much more on scrambling rather than tee shot accuracy in order to score well. I am usually able to generate a fair amount of check-up/backspin on my 8-iron and below. I also am more comfortable flying chips and pitches closer to the flag and checking them up rather than playing a run out, if conditions allow.

My testing plan is to get these in a simulator initially. A golf shop down the road rents their simulators by the hour (at a more than reasonable price), so I plan to get these in the sim and compare them against a few other balls that I normally use. I will compare the spin numbers and carry distances between these golf balls and report them here. I figure that it would be best to have some hard, non-biased numbers before I go by feel and results on the course. The rest of my testing will be course based in how this golf ball works for me personally. Hopefully I can get a full 60 days out of these golf balls :)

Thanks again THP and Taylormade! I look forward to testing these golf balls.

This is interesting. The name project 5 is similar to the Pentas, which was chosen to reflect the 5 layer ball they have which I see more and more of every week on the course from traditional ProV players.

Later they introduced the Penta 3, which is a 3 layer ball and so the name makes less sense, but it does have that great cover and performs similarly on short shots.

While some of you have been calling the dimples on these a Hex pattern it actually appears to have 5 sides, which would make it a Pentagon, leading me to believe that project 5 is part of the Penta series of balls.

I am interested in the results here. I really liked the Penta line. So I am curious how these will perform.

Some great stuff so far from Jank, Mightyquinn, and CplJohnst.

This is interesting. The name project 5 is similar to the Pentas, which was chosen to reflect the 5 layer ball they have which I see more and more of every week on the course from traditional ProV players.

Later they introduced the Penta 3, which is a 3 layer ball and so the name makes less sense, but it does have that great cover and performs similarly on short shots.

While some of you have been calling the dimples on these a Hex pattern it actually appears to have 5 sides, which would make it a Pentagon, leading me to believe that project 5 is part of the Penta series of balls.

You are correct to a degree, but double check the picture below. Some of the edges around the dimples have 5 sides, and some of them have 6 sides, making them look hexagonal.

F9000B90-orig.jpg

Isn't that interesting

Do they have a urethane cover or something similar?

Even the white on white packaging is nice!

Back